GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Grand Am APR cars have Passat OE Aluminum Upright?

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
Well, with research I may have answered my own dilemma

Nice find. You could always buy one spindle from a crashed passat and test out that theory. I have found some one Car-parts.com for $40 per spindle.

engineered2win

Ready to race!
So the B6/B7 Passat suspension geometry is the same as the Mk5/6 Golf? It would make sense that the brake rotors are the same diameter and width on the B7 as the MK6 GTI/TDI. That would open up VR6 and 4motion brake swaps. The VR6 has 12.5" fronts, and the 4motion has 13.1" R32 brakes.

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Some years ago when I suggested to use the S3/Passat swivels and control
arms some guys said they possibly wouldn't be strong enough. :bonk:

Today we know they are even stronger. The heavier S3, Passat R36 and
Sharan come with these from factory and even race cars use them. :smoking:

Aluminium weaker than steel? Yes, if both are same size. But these aluminium
parts are bulkier and they are forged > at least as strong as cast steel.

Deltatime

Ready to race!
Some years ago when I suggested to use the S3/Passat swivels and control
arms some guys said they possibly wouldn't be strong enough. :bonk:

Today we know they are even stronger. The heavier S3, Passat R36 and
Sharan come with these from factory and even race cars use them. :smoking:

Pressed forged keep in mind, Hot forging would not be consistent with the material because of Aluminum's melting point being low. More mass, reduced weight, all benefits in racing circuit. The cast up-rights have more air pockets because of the "casting" process, thus creating small gaps in metal, when exposed to extreme stress i.e. road racing more opportunity for failure. All metal has a breaking point, just like bending a paper clip back and forth, soon it will become 2 pcs. :thumbup:

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Aluminum it's actually stronger than many steels in certain alloys and is heavily used in vehicle structure and suspension. Aluminum versus cast steel? I'll take aluminum.......lighter, as strong or stronger.......just more costly.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Well, I have done it boys and girls.
I have gone the aluminium way for both Spindles and LCA.
They are not fitted to the car, but I will give a full report when done.
Can't wait. Also, this will be working together with the Boxter caliper setup.

engineered2win

Ready to race!
Well, I have done it boys and girls.
Can't wait. Also, this will be working together with the Boxter caliper setup.

Hot damn, I'm going down this route after my xenon headlight retrofit. I already bought the brackets from Apikol after discussing with him my concerns of possible fitment issues (other than different length bolts for the carrier to spindle attachment). Keep us informed!:thumbup:

Did you go the junkyard route? Looking on car-part.com I think I can get all four components for ~$250, but I haven't seen anything definitive over whether the Passat ball joint is the same as the Golf.

bimmer635csi

Ready to race!

Is it possible that during the install you could compare the weights of the stamped steel vs. aluminum LCA? I wonder if there is much weight savings there.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
Tyrol Mike already did all the work :

The weigh-in:

Stock Lower

Passat Lower

TT Lower (.25lbs heavier than Passat)

Stock Spindle

Passat Spindle

Face off:

The total weight savings is almost seven pounds per corner, with no tradeoffs. Win. :peace: :heart:

Installation

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
The only thing different is the fact that the mk6 gti has stamped LCAs which are still heavier than the aluminum ones, but lighter than the cast iron ones... but these stamped things are also bendable...not confidence inspiring...

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
TyrolMike only measured the Cast Iron LCAs not the stamped steal ones. I believe the MK6 Golf R's still come with the iron ones.

I replaced my LCAs with TT ones. I'll try to pull the stock ones out of the garage tonight and measure how much they weigh with the Ball joint on it. Also the Passat balljoint is the same as the golf. Its the TT ones that are different but the TT ones will press just fine into the golf housing if retrofitting the TT arms onto our platform like I did.