GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI AWD/4motion conversion

aregister

Ready to race!
I'd love to know more about what wiring and programing you needed to complete this. I have a decent idea of the hardware and how it would go together but making the ECU and TCU talk together is something different (I have/want a DSG setup). It looks like you are manual but even so you would have needed to wire in the haldex controller.
Yeah man, turns out they talk to each other already through the CANbus. So you just need to find your wiring for CANbus drivetrain and it should connect into the Haldex wiring pretty easily. You need hi and lo (or + and -), a ground, and power, if I remember correctly. I tapped into the CANbus right above the pedals, along the bottom of the steering column. I can try to take some pictures if you are interested. DSG would be a little trickier, talk to @U-20T because he did a DSG AND 4motion swap.
Also, it was SUPER easy in VCDS to program it. Literally just a checkbox that says "AWD" that I clicked and it accepted. The ABS module that I had to replace took way more VCDS savvy knowledge than the Haldex programming lol.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for sharing the info! It’s indeed a super cool project. Aside from the part costs, how much should I expect to spend if I were to have a shop do this work.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
😂 no shop is going to do that for you

aregister

Ready to race!
Thanks for sharing the info! It’s indeed a super cool project. Aside from the part costs, how much should I expect to spend if I were to have a shop do this work.
a gross amount. That's not something I have ANY expertise at all with. I would recommend finding a shop that you believe could or would do it, and getting a quote from them. It doesn't matter what number some guy in a forum puts down, because I'm not the one doing the labor. This was by far a project build, not something I would have a shop do. I did it for the experience, street cred, and illusion of saving money.