GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI Mountain Drive

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
There is some weather coming into Southern Colorado, bringing snow and rain, so make sure you check the weather for where you'll be driving. Make sure your wipers are in good shape, and you have plenty of washer fluid.

The GTI is great for mountain roads, but take things a bit slow, not only will you want to enjoy the views, but you'll likely experience some blind corners. Depending on the weather, you may hit snow, or gravel around some of the tighter curves. Another reason for taking it slow is that your wife may get car sick. It's not nearly as bad for the driver, but for a passenger getting tossed around mountain roads can be pretty nauseating.

Maxey

Ready to race!
The first time I rode my motorcycle in the mountains, I found out that there's more of a secure feeling when going uphill; as I quickly got used to it (going uphill) I found you could have some fun trying to go just fast enough to slow down for the corners without using your brakes as gravity works pretty well to slow you down. After a while you can amp it up and use the brakes to go faster up hill. Downhill is just the opposite -- more brakes required and harder to judge your speed, again because of the gravity factor wanting to sling you down the mountain faster.

As far as your wife getting car sick, I'd say that's a classic sexist comment (not that there's anything wrong with that :p). Unless there is some biological reason women are more vulnerable to car sickness I'm unaware of, I say let it rip, with her blessing of course.

But above all, and rule #1: Have fun!

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
The first time I rode my motorcycle in the mountains, I found out that there's more of a secure feeling when going uphill; as I quickly got used to it (going uphill) I found you could have some fun trying to go just fast enough to slow down for the corners without using your brakes as gravity works pretty well to slow you down. After a while you can amp it up and use the brakes to go faster up hill. Downhill is just the opposite -- more brakes required and harder to judge your speed, again because of the gravity factor wanting to sling you down the mountain faster.

As far as your wife getting car sick, I'd say that's a classic sexist comment (not that there's anything wrong with that :p). Unless there is some biological reason women are more vulnerable to car sickness I'm unaware of, I say let it rip, with her blessing of course.

But above all, and rule #1: Have fun!
My comment had nothing to do with her gender, and everything to do with being a passenger vs. being a driver on twisty roads.

Maxey

Ready to race!
My comment had nothing to do with her gender, and everything to do with being a passenger vs. being a driver on twisty roads.
He never said who would be driving; assuming it's always the man who drives is definitely sexist. But seriously, am really just giving you a hard time.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
He never said who would be driving; assuming it's always the man who drives is definitely sexist.
I think we can safely assume the person who registered for the forum and asking car questions is probably the driver without being sexist.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I have a lot of thousands of miles of experience with sprinting up and down mountains in cars and on motorcycles.

1. all four tires stay on your side of the yellow line unless there's literally enough visual distance for you to safely pass another vehicle

2. if you can't see all the way around a curve, leave yourself some spare grip to deal with surprises

3. leave a healthy margin for error when braking, especially when going downhill. It can be easy to misjudge a corner on a road you've never been on and that reserve can save you from having a bad day

Maxey

Ready to race!
I think we can safely assume the person who registered for the forum and asking car questions is probably the driver without being sexist.
Probably. Just bustin' the guy's chops a little, couldn't help it. I was easy on him -- I was going to suggest that if the wife gets carsick, he might want to consider divorcing her. (y)

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Do you plan on hiking/camping or what?
If you like cliff jumps go to FLOURSENT Colorado, amazingly beautiful and down in that valley is like your at Woodstock.
Parts of NM I have been through are long straight roads and get a bit bland.
The 395 in Colorado are some nice mountian roads. If you have time cruise through rocky mountain National Park.
Maybe hit area 51 or Carlsbad (Carlsbad caverns are cool)

vdubnick

Drag Racing Champion
women cant drive... unless they are Danica Patrick 🤷‍♂️

Thumper

Autocross Champion
women cant drive... unless they are Danica Patrick 🤷‍♂️

Do some reading. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

Danica is a bedroom poster and bathroom fantasy.

Agreed on other commonsense standard rules of the road, stay on your side, caution on blind corners (bikers, rock slides, disabled car.......random mountain goat can all hide around them).