GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Haldex/Traction Issues

mossymemedogg

sup golf people,

I haven't been driving my golf as much lately so I took it out in the rain yesterday to have some fun and I noticed that I could hardly get the tail to slide at all, even when accelerating hard it just seems to spin the front tires.
So doing a bit of research it seems that I have an issue with the haldex, maybe the pump? I guess my next step is to find someone with vagcom so I can see whats going on.

Could the haldex pump/filter be the culprit
Has anyone had an issue with their haldex not kicking in? is this a common thing

Thanks

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
sup golf people,

I haven't been driving my golf as much lately so I took it out in the rain yesterday to have some fun and I noticed that I could hardly get the tail to slide at all, even when accelerating hard it just seems to spin the front tires.

So doing a bit of research it seems that I have an issue with the haldex, maybe the pump? I guess my next step is to find someone with vagcom so I can see whats going on.

Could the haldex pump/filter be the culprit

Has anyone had an issue with their haldex not kicking in? is this a common thing

Thanks
Year and model?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
'12 R

stage 1

dkm twin disk

apr turboback

vwr intake

apr hpfp
Do you have the traction control mod for the full shut off? Are you a US model? It has to be done with vagcom. Or you can't really shut off the traction control

mossymemedogg

Do you have the traction control mod for the full shut off? Are you a US model? It has to be done with vagcom. Or you can't really shut off the traction control

Yes that would have been a good thing to say in the title, I do have the ESP defeat installed on my car, so I have been able to slide it in the past. I am in the US

mossymemedogg

Here's a write up I read awhile ago. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?p=79636755

I also don't know how many miles you have on your car but I believe it calls for a haldex service at 30 thousand or something like that.

Thanks thats good info, the car has 70k on it the previous owner had it done but it is definitely due for another.
I'll start with vagcom and see what I find

Fast-R

Passed Driver's Ed
sup golf people,

Not sure how you would be able to get the tail to slide out from power, Haldex can only send a maximum of 50% of the torque/power to the rear wheels, max.

The haldex system is front wheel bias so the system only gives 50% to the rear when it detects the front wheels slipping.. Even then it is always trying to revert power back to the front wheels..

Unless you are only spinning the front on dry pavement, I'd say your haldex is probably fine..

demon342

Ready to race!
Not sure how you would be able to get the tail to slide out from power, Haldex can only send a maximum of 50% of the torque/power to the rear wheels, max.

The haldex system is front wheel bias so the system only gives 50% to the rear when it detects the front wheels slipping.. Even then it is always trying to revert power back to the front wheels..

Unless you are only spinning the front on dry pavement, I'd say your haldex is probably fine..

I'd take advice from the guy who has a Stage 4 Golf R, seems like he knows what he's talking about

ChurchXD

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd take advice from the guy who has a Stage 4 Golf R, seems like he knows what he's talking about
All that being said is true. But you can obviously fell your back wheels getting power when your dicking around in snow or wet pavement... I believe that was what he was getting at.

mossymemedogg

Just wanted to update this in case anyone else had this issue.

the Haldex Pump was burnt out due to the pre-filter being gunked up with crap.

Last edited:

James1

I’m late to this but the gen 4 haldex has a serviceable filter just like the 2nd gen (mk5 R32) that needs changing every 20k. VW in their infinite wisdom say the filter does not need changing and you can’t buy them from them, it doesn’t exist as far as they are concerned.

they can be changed and if you google it there are lots of posts about 4th gen haldex not working, people don’t find out until the wheel suddenly spin on the front for no reason. It also thrown up no fault code at all.

get your filter changedat your indie garage or do it your self. I’m currently looking for someone to do mine, sadly I don’t know my spanner from my screwdriver!

Im not advertising or affiliated with the company below however they have fixed my gen 2 haldex controller which was corroded and I learned a lot about haldex from him, he is a top bloke, the link explains the damage caused by not having yourfilter changed.

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/shop/filters/generation-gen-4-filter-kit-vw-audi-seat-skoda/