GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Handbrake loose but still holds car??

k3vinm99

I’m not too familiar with the system so I’m sorry for the lack of technicalities. My parking brake has been relatively loose, taking about 6-7 clicks to get firm and hold the car. The shop told me the spring (not sure which spring exactly) is just loose and would need to be replaced Something else worth noting was that I just replaced the back rotors and brake pads recently, which made it only take about 5 clicks to get firm. But I parked the other day and applied the parking brake, and I heard a pop and it got really easy to pull on the parking brake, and it’ll go all the way to the top. However, when fully pulled it still holds the car on an incline/decline and doesn’t budge when engaged and I try to move forward or backward. Could anyone tell me what could be going on and potential fixes? Thank you!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
The parking brake has a funky ratcheting system for automatic adjustment without having to monkey with the cable anchor points under the center console. It's possible that slipped or something. Try the method below.

See the post in thread 'Parking Brake Issue Due to Caliper?' https://golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/parking-brake-issue-due-to-caliper.310416/post-6456948

This method worked for me but others have said it did not work for them. I had to pull up and down more than 2 or 3 times but eventually it caught and my brake was back to a few clicks. It's worth a shot.

Last edited:

k3vinm99

The parking brake has a funky ratcheting system for automatic adjustment without having to monkey with the cable anchor points under the center console. It's possible that slipped or something. Try the method below.

See the post in thread 'Parking Brake Issue Due to Caliper?' https://golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/parking-brake-issue-due-to-caliper.310416/post-6456948

This method worked for me but others have said it did not work for them. I had to pull up and down more than 2 or 3 times but eventually it caught and my brake was back to a few clicks. It's worth a shot.
I saw this as well and gave it a try but no luck, nothing changed. Any other suggestions? I’m a little concerned I’d have to replace the cables themselves because I was told something was loose anyway and the pop suggestions something gave away possibly. Thank you for the suggestion!

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I saw this as well and gave it a try but no luck, nothing changed. Any other suggestions? I’m a little concerned I’d have to replace the cables themselves because I was told something was loose anyway and the pop suggestions something gave away possibly. Thank you for the suggestion!

I would probably jack the rear up and have a look at the cable on each side. Perhaps the cable is snapped or disengaged on one side. The cables are under the center console. If everything looks ok at the rear rotors maybe have a look under the center console. The fact hat you heard a snap leads me to believe something either broke or popped off a hanger or something along those lines. The humble mechanic has a good vid on the subject which shows all the connection/adjustment points.