GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hatch Will Not Open

Teddy Redskinz

Ready to race!
Is there a manual hatch release on the GTIs?

Owner's manual refers to the key fob and the release (VW Emblem) on the hatch itself but neither is working. The rear hatch motor has shorted and will not unlock the trunk (confirmed with VagCom).

I am taking in the car to get it serviced on Tuesday but was wondering if there is a way to open the trunk when the key fob or hatch release will not work?

McQueen77

Banned
push on the VW emblem on the exterior of the hatch.

McQueen77

Banned
never had the issue. dont know.

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
Did you mess around with wiring below your steering column (in your footwell)?

When I went down there to wire in my euro switch, I messed up the reinstall of the harness a little bit, causing my hatch motor to be disactivated. I couldn't figure out why the hell my hatch wouldn't open, so I went back to look at what I recently did and discovered the harness wasn't fully connected.

Teddy Redskinz

Ready to race!
Did you mess around with wiring below your steering column (in your footwell)?

When I went down there to wire in my euro switch, I messed up the reinstall of the harness a little bit, causing my hatch motor to be disactivated. I couldn't figure out why the hell my hatch wouldn't open, so I went back to look at what I recently did and discovered the harness wasn't fully connected.

Nope. I just had the 10k service two days ago where they supposedly check the locks as part of the service so it might have been one of the grease monkeys. Circumstantial evidence at best so I will refrain from blaming them.

I will double check and make sure everything is secured, jackgti.

nik

Go Kart Champion
there is a way to manually open it, but it's from the inside. You may need a flashlight for this one. I think it's in the manual as well. (couldn't find a pic of it online.

Drop the seats, and move anything obstructing the hatch out of the way to give you best visibility and leverage. You will have to crawl in on your stomach for this to work the best. I would suggest having someone stand on the outside to grab the hatch lid when you release it so it doesn't relatch on it's own weight

about an inch or two from the bottom of the hatch in the center you should see a 2 inch long 1/4 inch wide slot.
Take your blade key or valet key (doesn't matter) and stick it in there as far as it will go and shimmy it around. You should feel a mechanism of some sort.

Use the key to slide the mechanism (can't recall if it's left or right) and push the hatch with your other hand so the person on the other side can grab it by the bottom edge and pull it open.

jackgti1

Go Kart Champion
Nope. I just had the 10k service two days ago where they supposedly check the locks as part of the service so it might have been one of the grease monkeys. Circumstantial evidence at best so I will refrain from blaming them.

I will double check and make sure everything is secured, jackgti.

:thumbsup:

there is a way to manually open it, but it's from the inside. You may need a flashlight for this one. I think it's in the manual as well. (couldn't find a pic of it online.

Drop the seats, and move anything obstructing the hatch out of the way to give you best visibility and leverage. You will have to crawl in on your stomach for this to work the best. I would suggest having someone stand on the outside to grab the hatch lid when you release it so it doesn't relatch on it's own weight

about an inch or two from the bottom of the hatch in the center you should see a 2 inch long 1/4 inch wide slot.
Take your blade key or valet key (doesn't matter) and stick it in there as far as it will go and shimmy it around. You should feel a mechanism of some sort.

Use the key to slide the mechanism (can't recall if it's left or right) and push the hatch with your other hand so the person on the other side can grab it by the bottom edge and pull it open.

^ i wonder how you know this so well :D.

Teddy Redskinz

Ready to race!
Nik,

You are the man! I was able to get the hatch open by sliding the key in the slot toward the passenger side.

Jackgti,

Everything seem secured so I will drop off the car to get it fixed.

nik

Go Kart Champion
^ i wonder how you know this so well :D.

I did my homework and read the manual :D. and I had to put it to use when my old GTI went kaboom to get my stuff out. Heck even the maintenance department at the dealer didn't know about the feature until I showed them.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I find the electric locks on this car to be a downfall. Why no regular locks? They don't look sexy enough? Any time the battery dies or whatever, it's a big issue, you have to pop that key cover off if you want to lock/unlock the doors up front and there isn't any way I know of to lock/unlock the rear doors.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
There's a manual release like with all cars with a hatch. Put a flat blade screw driver into that slot in the hatch in side the car. Push the screw driver in the direction to open not sure which direction since I never had this problem.