GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hatch Will Not Open

toma.KBRN

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to revive this...
Having the same issue, hatch is stuck and won't open.

When I last closed it I checked there would be nothing obstructing (between the seal and the hatch) like I always do.

When I try to open from the emblem i can hear the mechanism unlocking just like the normal sound and the hatch releases 1/9999999th of an inch but it DOES NOT open or really release the lock tried the remote opening with me in the inside pushing, also the backup opening from the inside with the valet key and it works but the hatch does the same thing...

summary my hatch locking thing seems (sound) to work normally and backup but the door is so sure that it want to remain closed... :(

mikec944

Try pushing in from the outside then press the trunk button. Maybe the striker is misaligned and is holding too much tension with the latch to allow it to unhook.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Isnt there an emergency handle in all trunks to prevent kidnapping?

sent from superior interior telepathy
Do you need one in a hatch back???? I mean you can fold the seats, open the pass through, also... a huge glass at the trunk...

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Do you need one in a hatch back???? I mean you can fold the seats, open the pass through, also... a huge glass at the trunk...

Some folks can't "physically" get back there. No, I'm not calling them fat.....more like out of shape. :D

toma.KBRN

Passed Driver's Ed
yes, I've tried everything suggested here and else wear to no avail.
valet key,key fob release, push while I do it from inside or out i have a hatchback with no opening hatch :(((((

how would an expert open it(dismantle) to examine?

VW Steve

Ready to race!
I'm having a similar problem. The hatch sometimes sticks, and right now I can only open it with the key fob. The owner's manual explains how to open it with the key fob and with the emblem but it doesn't say anything about opening it form the interior unlock button, although I've been able to open it like that before. Now I can't.

GTItimes2

I am having the same problem with my 2011 GTI. When you lift up on the VW emblem, you can hear the motor whirring but it will not open. I WAS able to crawl in the back with a screwdriver and pop the hatch open. Now, how do you fix it? How is the rear plastic panel attached, and what should I expect to find once I get to the motor?

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I am having the same problem with my 2011 GTI. When you lift up on the VW emblem, you can hear the motor whirring but it will not open. I WAS able to crawl in the back with a screwdriver and pop the hatch open. Now, how do you fix it? How is the rear plastic panel attached, and what should I expect to find once I get to the motor?
So the trunk release is likely shot. Very common issue. You can order one on amazon for pretty cheap. To open the hatch, you'll have to crawl in from the front and use a screwdriver to release the lock.

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks, I ordered a new latch of Amazon today, over $100 cheaper than the dealer part. Nice savings, assuming it works!
I would stick to OEM . Amazon one will probably fail sooner than later. I ordered the Amazon one for $25 as a backup while I was waiting for the oem part ( ordered from fcp euro)if the OEM one fails I'll send it in for a free replacement.

king1138

Go Kart Champion
I went with FCP Euro when mine went out, that way I can get it warrantied if it ever fails again. If I recall, it was only a little more expensive than the Amazon part anyway.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I would stick to OEM . Amazon one will probably fail sooner than later. I ordered the Amazon one for $25 as a backup while I was waiting for the oem part ( ordered from fcp euro)if the OEM one fails I'll send it in for a free replacement.
So far they have all lasted the same amount of time for me (the original, and 2 replacements) , I say go with the cheap one because even an OEM one will fail (again). It's just a design flaw, the cheap plastic gear breaks, it's the same plastic in the OEM and knockoffs.