GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have You Done A High Mileage Suspension Refresh?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
I'm at 92k on my 2011 GTI. Things still feel pretty good, but I'm noticing things aren't as fresh as they used to be:
- subframe clunk/creaking on slow turns in/out of driveways
- rear end sags slightly more than it used to--scraping tailpipe on driveways where i didn't use to
- steering feel isn't the same as it used to be (doesn't feel as direct/sharp/smooth)
- brakes are squishy squishy :)

I'm curious what maintenance items folks have done to their higher mileage GTI's to help refresh the suspension. More curious to know, what has worked, what has not worked.

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
Following... I recently refreshed the brakes on our car (new disks, pads and bleed) and they now feel fantastic once they bed in. Keen to know how to make the steering less 'loose'. All mechanics cannot see any obvious issues with bushings, but there must be a state in-between new and busted?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I did a bunch of things after 100k. S3 Control arm bushings, subframe trans mount, new bolts and ecs spacers for subframe clunk, all new KYB Struts with mounts paired with H&R Sport springs, new away bar endlinks and an ST 25mm rear sway bar. Really tightened things up car still feels good at 140k now

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
I did a bunch of things after 100k. S3 Control arm bushings, subframe trans mount, new bolts and ecs spacers for subframe clunk, all new KYB Struts with mounts paired with H&R Sport springs, new away bar endlinks and an ST 25mm rear sway bar. Really tightened things up car still feels good at 140k now
Cool - might price up the control arm bushings. Replacing bushings or the whole control arm? Stock sway bar end links? Cheers :)

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
I just did the control arm bushings. You can take off the control arms themselves and do the other bushings too but they seemed fine on my car, while my stock control arm bushings were very worn cracked.

Majic12

Im looking at the same info... 4 door TDI starting to clunk a bit and just not as tight as before... 110k miles and planning a limited rebuild...

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
At around 100k miles I installed Koni Sports, new control arm bushings (rear position), and strut tops. My stock Sachs dampers were completely blown and the control arm bushings were dead so this more or less transformed the car.

Since then I’ve added Eibach Prokit springs and swaybars, trailing arm bushings, a front subframe collar kit, Superpro ball joints, and lightweight wheels and I’m extremely happy with how the car handles.

My steering is super sharp and direct and my brakes are about as good as you can expect out of single piston sliding calipers (also have caliper stiffening kit).