GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hawk? EBC? StopTech? Other? What do you use and why?

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
No track time for me, but I do tend to have a heavy foot and test the limits of corners in town and on the back roads.

Want low dust, no noise, good stopping...the usual suspects. Running stock rotors (will replace with pads) and standard brake lines...braided coming soon.

I'm thinking Hawks.

Your turn to chime in please.

Thanks!

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Or just do this and call it a day...seems a bit pricey though? ?
Screenshot_20200221-170144_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200221-165948_Chrome.jpg

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Porterfield R4S

I ran these on my STI. Better bite/improved pedal feel. And the paint was ceramic coated but I literally washed the car like every 3 months

zrickety

The Fixer
I've been running Akebono pads with ECS drilled/slotted rotors (previous owner bought). They've been amazing for almost 100k now.
Also have run Hawk pads and they're good.
Whatever you do, get the Tyrolsport bushings for the calipers.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
I've been running Akebono pads with ECS drilled/slotted rotors (previous owner bought). They've been amazing for almost 100k now.
Any increased noise or vibration running em?

zrickety

The Fixer
No problems at all.

kthor7031

Go Kart Champion
If you want no noise, don't get slotted rotors. They will cause some humming under harder braking. Any Hawks other than the HPS series will most likely make noise, so only consider HPS. Some kind of ceramic formulation is going to make the least dust. You have to pick between stopping power and dust sadly.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I was also going to mention the GLOC. They used them for track cars at the last place I worked. And giro disc but they don't offer rotors for the GTI. The upper compounds of GLOC are almost like having carbon ceramics. They'll about put you through the windshield lol

ahard48

Ready to race!
I literally just put in Stoptech Sport Slotted rotors and Stoptech street pads. Quiet, no dust yet although they advertise little to no dust at all. Feels like they bite about 30% better over stock. I like them and got them cheap through a guy i found on facebook. $360-$380 for all 4 corners.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I personally thought the tyrolsport bushings were a waste of money. Made no different when I had them. Eventually upgraded to a stoptech st40 bbk anyways.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I personally thought the tyrolsport bushings were a waste of money. Made no different when I had them. Eventually upgraded to a stoptech st40 bbk anyways.

I agree about those tyrolsport bushings. I felt they did nothing more than lighten my wallet. Bang for the buck quotient 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.

As far as rotors go I had Stoptech cryo treated slotted rotors on my MINI, they were great with no odd noise or pedal feel. I'm not a fan of drilled rotors. I've seen some that broke under track use.

I think SS lines are worth the cost, but don't expect a huge difference in feel. Use a good brake fluid with a high boiling point.

I used Akebono ceramic pads, very low dust, but initial bite wasn't great. They held up to heat pretty well for back road running. But on the track they weren't good.

This brake setup was used on my last car a MINI Cooper S with many mods.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Interesting thoughts on the bushings. I installed mine at the same time as I put on HPS 5.0 pads. Pedal feel and bite were much improved, but I guess it was just from the pads.

JW with a VW

Go Kart Champion
Motul RBF600 is the plan. Good?

The Yetti

Ready to race!
TBH if you just have a heavy foot, upgraded pads, lines and if you want, the bushings will be well worth it.

When I was switching from my stock Lagunas to lighter RPF1s, I was going to do to the whole rotor swap and my tech (the second coming when it comes to VWs in the DC metro area) recommended just lines and hawk 5.0 pads with new fluid. I threw in the tyrolsport bushings to support a local company from my hometown and immediately noticed firmer braking without the rubbery-ness. The Hawk is better for dust control but a significant upgrade from the standard pads. The most sporty you can go without actually going to the track level IMO.

Drove another MK6 the other day on stock brakes and I have no idea how I went 4 years without doing these mods.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Some people seem to feel a difference with those bushings. I didn't, but that could be because I already has SS brake lines. Brakes are kind of a funny topic, very dependent on how one drives. I tend to be a carry speed type of driver. That may come from my years of racing low powered cars. ;~)

Last edited: