GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Head Unit Upgrade

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Any advice on Head Units. I am sure this has been discussed here but not recently and I am looking for more current opinions. I am currently running the RCD-510 with 9w7 bluetooth. It works very well but is a bit dated (slow, clunky, black & white). I have read a lot of reviews on different units but most seem to end up going back to the stock unit or upgrading to the 510. I was looking at the Eonon unit or Joying as they seem to be the best for the money but again people complained espscially about the bluetooth. The stock unit is very reliable and the bluetooth works spot on so I am afraid I will be downgrading if I change it. Anyone have a RCN-315 installed? Thoughts?

torga

Autocross Champion
If the RCD330+ fits (not familiar with the 2.5L models), I would stop your search there. Great Bluetooth, comes with Apple Carplay and/or Android Auto, and has OEM form/fit/function. Can always be had for $250-$300. Direct plug and play upgrade.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
If the RCD330+ fits (not familiar with the 2.5L models), I would stop your search there. Great Bluetooth, comes with Apple Carplay and/or Android Auto, and has OEM form/fit/function. Can always be had for $250-$300. Direct plug and play upgrade.

It fits but there are so many versions out there it is impossible to figure out what you will get when purchasing and there are some serious issues with some versions so I have avoided it as it is a real roll of the dice. They all come from china so you know how that goes.

torga

Autocross Champion
It fits but there are so many versions out there it is impossible to figure out what you will get when purchasing and there are some serious issues with some versions so I have avoided it as it is a real roll of the dice. They all come from china so you know how that goes.

Nah, no roll of the dice. Just be absolutely certain to get the "187B No Name" version. That'll have both Carplay and Android Auto. Got mine from a seller on Amazon, actually. Works perfectly.
And if anything doesn't play nice (unlikely if you make sure to get that version), you've got Amazon's return policy.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Nah, no roll of the dice. Just be absolutely certain to get the "187B No Name" version. That'll have both Carplay and Android Auto. Got mine from a seller on Amazon, actually. Works perfectly.
And if anything doesn't play nice (unlikely if you make sure to get that version), you've got Amazon's return policy.

That's for the Apple version with carplay. I am looking for Android so I thought it was the G version I was looking for. Although I believe you can unlock Android Auto on others as well.

torga

Autocross Champion
That's for the Apple version with carplay. I am looking for Android so I thought it was the G version I was looking for. Although I believe you can unlock Android Auto on others as well.
Ah, my mistake. The seller I bought mine from unlocked AA, so I didn't have to do anything. It was advertised as such.

torga

Autocross Champion
I'm guessing you like it. How's the Bluetooth?

The Bluetooth function is excellent. Works seamlessly with the MFSW buttons, too. When playing music, you get Album, Artist, and Song information (no album art, but that's expected), ability to scrub the song, and skip/pause from the head unit and MFSW. Tons of functionality and we aren't even in Android Auto yet.
Plus it's just really aesthetically pleasing, both the head unit itself and the UI.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
The Bluetooth function is excellent. Works seamlessly with the MFSW buttons, too. When playing music, you get Album, Artist, and Song information (no album art, but that's expected), ability to scrub the song, and skip/pause from the head unit and MFSW. Tons of functionality and we aren't even in Android Auto yet.
Plus it's just really aesthetically pleasing, both the head unit itself and the UI.

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. Sounds like the way to go.

torga

Autocross Champion
No problem! I hope you find a good head unit soon.

torga

Autocross Champion
Congrats! Mine came from somewhere in China too - it in a little over 2 weeks.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Just got a text from DHL and I'll have the new head unit on Monday. 5 days shipping/handling from China is pretty good. I have to say I so far like this seller. They emailed and confirmed all the specs, firmware version and Bluetooth version was what I wanted. Very unusual for a Ebay vendor especially one in China.

I decided to go with the Huawei update.:lol:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Just got a text from DHL and I'll have the new head unit on Monday. 5 days shipping/handling from China is pretty good. I have to say I so far like this seller. They emailed and confirmed all the specs, firmware version and Bluetooth version was what I wanted. Very unusual for a Ebay vendor especially one in China.

I decided to go with the Huawei update.:lol:
WW another produce, your chance to do one of your super cool write ups on the Head Unit.

Personally for me having Waze to tell me where the police and the red light cameras are more of a priority, the blue tooth on the Eonon is only barely acceptable.