GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headliner coming down

golfpro2112

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone else have an issue with the headliner coming down? I'm trying to find out if this is a common problem. Was quoted $1200 to replace at dealership. Called VWoA and they said because I'm such loyal customer they'd pay for 75%. I said I'm only75% happy with that. Car (2011) is out of warranty by 14 months and has 56k miles.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Graustark

Ready to race!
I can see the beginnings of mine. Indention where the visor fits falls down when I shift the visor out of stowed position. $1200 to replace all is madness.

CMGTI

Ready to race!
mine is down too.

zrickety

The Fixer
It's ridiculous. The mk5 had this problem and looks like nothing has changed.

DaWoLF

Ready to race!

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Anyone else have an issue with the headliner coming down? I'm trying to find out if this is a common problem. Was quoted $1200 to replace at dealership. Called VWoA and they said because I'm such loyal customer they'd pay for 75%. I said I'm only75% happy with that. Car (2011) is out of warranty by 14 months and has 56k miles.
Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

OK, so I'll be the dissenting voice here... :D

Seriously...? You are complaining because VW is willing to throw $900 dollars at you for a car that is going on 5 years old and is completely out of warranty...?

Spend the $300; get it replaced mostly on VW's dime and be glad they'll do that much. Most of us are stuck with the fix totally on our own cost.

Last edited:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
I live in Orlando and this is the best money I've spent on my car to date. I will likely have OP's issue at some point (mine is a 2012) but this should help put it off a while longer.

LOL. I don't know exactly what I expected when I opened your link but it sure wasn't a sunshade. Are you suggesting it would help prevent this headliner issue.....??? :iono:

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, mind you...but...seems a bit illogical unless the thing is just glued up there and I don't think that's the case. I too, always use my sunshade but mine is for the dash; and the incredible toll the sun takes on it. Plus, I find using a sunshade and leaving my windows cracked open a quarter inch or so does wonders for the inside temp. Really surprising how much 'less hot' it is inside.
But I don't think it affects what is essentially the 'ceiling' of the car, does it??

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but......:p

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
OK, so I'll be the dissenting voice here... :D

Seriously...? You are complaining because VW is willing to throw $900 dollars at you for a car that is going on 5 years old and is completely out of warranty...?

Spend the $300; get it replaced mostly on VW's dime and be glad they'll do that much. Most of us are stuck with the fix totally on our own cost.

No kidding...When my headliner began to sag I called my VW dealer and they weren't going to help me at all. The best they could do for me is give me the number to a shop nearby that would give me a discount if I mentioned the VW dealer. I was still within my original warranty too.

Now my headliner looks like this...

I can get somebody to wrap it for me for free because of all the business my family has given him. I just need to pull the headliner out myself.

zrickety

The Fixer
I wouldn't pay vw a dime, especially for a headliner that will just fall down again. The definition of insanity...

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
No problem at all, but mine is parked in the garage a good bit of the time and always use a fitted sun shade when parking outside, of course i have less than 10K on the car. lol

zrickety

The Fixer
Give it 5 years.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion