GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hello and welcome. Introduce yourselves here

Joker GTI

Ready to race!
Hi fellow dubbers... Im from Houston, and now I own a mk6 Gti candy white, pretty basic, 6mt, denvers, bluetooth.... I traded in my 06 gti due to it having 63000 miles on it and Im planning to go to school so I dont want it to breakdown or have any major service at my expense. Hopefully I can contribute to this forum ive owned a 2008 rabbit(totaled), 1991 8v gti(sold) and 06 gti(trade)...

heres my old car and

then my new car..

my old mk2 :

and my first vw(totaled)

LoKoLKo

Hey everyone, my name is Kris, I got my VW GTI a couple weeks ago. United Grey, 4-door, DSG, sunroof and Bluetooth. I fell in love with it from the first day I saw it! Awesome!

Flipx201

Hey, just picked up my MKVI GTI a couple of days ago. i got a 2dr Carbon Steel Grey manual transmission w/ sunroof, bluetooth, and dynaudio system. So far i love it. I'm looking to go on air.

FormulaRon

Hi, I'm Ronald and I live in Liverpool, UK. I am currently 15 but I would like to have a Golf 1.4 litre (122PS). I want a GTi but the insurance is expensive and I found that this engine with 122PS has quite cheap insurance. I am aiming my car to be:

-4 Door Candy White
-Manual Transmission
-Aftermarket Wheels (Advan, Enkei, etc.)
-Aftermarket Tyres (Yokohama, Bridgestone, etc)
-A Recaro Sport Seat for Driver Side Only
-Aftermarket Exhaust System
-Lowering Springs

That's about it so far. Of course, it might have a bit more things but that's how much I could think at the moment.

danbike

Passed Driver's Ed
Bit of an intro It took 60 years

Well, I'm getting use to this group. Here is the text of a story that was run in the VW AUTOIST magazine a few years back.

Dad’s Beetle in West Berlin

My late father was a career US Army Officer who started his career at the outbreak of World War 2. He was fluent in German and looked the part, so his main duties were interrogating captured German Officers and soldiers. In fact, the US Army had a Wehrmacht uniform for him to wear.

Once the war ended, he was stationed in West Berlin. Like every good American boy, he wanted his own car. In mid-1947, the US Army started to allow privately owned vehicles thru a lottery system. You would enter your name, and if and when it was pulled, you could buy what they had available. Mid-year, much to his surprise, his name was drawn. He had wanted an US made car, but was surprised that the only thing available was a WW2 vintage ex-Wermacht Beetle. The car was mouse grey inside and out. Rather than gamble on being reentered into the lottery, Dad took the car. He had it repainted maroon and had the bumpers and hub caps chromed. After I was born in October of 1947, Mom and Dad brought me home from the hospital in that car.

It turns out that his decision to keep the car was very smart. Not that many months later the Russian Army blockaded the city. Gasoline didn’t exist, unless you had a newborn infant at home. Then you got 2 gallons a month for a small stove for formula. Wonder if anyone would care to guess where that gasoline was really used?

Here are some photos of the car. One is of the car and the Miniature Pinscher that found a home with us courtesy of the black market. The others are two shots of Mom, me, and the dog in front of the Russian War Memorial in Berlin

When Dad was transferred to Frankfurt after the blockade was lifted, he sold the car to another Officer. You can’t imagine how many times he had said he wished he had brought it back to the US.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 254
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 276

sportriderseattle

Passed Driver's Ed
This is my first VW. My parents apparently had a Camper Bus in the late 60's then a Bug, which was one of my first memories. They purchased a new 1977 Scirocco, with a really rare Sidewinder - Champagne Edition option. White with black stripes and front spoiler. I loved that car as a kid.

I was not even considering a VW, let alone a new car...or for that matter even any car until I went to the auto show in November '09 and saw the new GTI. There were no TDI Golf's there but I read up on them and just felt something calling me. I drove to a local dealer talked to a salesman and he talked me into "placing an order". What did I have to lose? No deposit and I can even cancel everything "when" my order got accepted and I didn't want to proceed further. Excitement and desire built for two months with no go on my order. I stopped in another dealer on a rainy Sunday chatted with him over an hour or so then he told me about an incoming Shark Blue 2 door TDI with manual trany, that was unsold. Two days later I emailed the salesman, made him an offer and within a day my offer was accepted. I waited 3 weeks and my "Casper" showed up. To me, this car was better than ordering my own special car, as this one actually came to me! This was all so synchronistic.

What I love so much about "Casper" is that it shows others that one can have a sporty, sexy looking economical car that gets 40+ mpg. This aint no Prius people! Actually I really do love my car despite some very minor issues. I guess it's like any relationship.

saucer

Leadfoot
great story danbike! I have several relatives that fought in Germany, which was a bit tough for them considering our family had just emigrated two generations prior.

I saw my first old beetle up close at the dealership where I picked up my new TDI.. it was amazing to see how rudimentary everything used to be. I always dreamed of having a VW and was finally in a position to get a GTI in the fall of 07. I loved that car, but as mentioned just above, something about the TDI was calling me (I'm a bit of a treehugger lol).

And yes, this ain't no Prius! I posted pics labeled "Prius killer" on Facebook last week myself :p

rikemomo

a few days old...

hey guys--

So, I traded in my 2005 GTI for a 2010 GTI and my head is still spinning after a nice drive to Palm Springs from LA...amazing car, just incredible. I need to post about an issue I am having with the new iPhone but I guess I'll put up my car's stats, I guess, in my bio. It's freaking amazing, though. I love it.

looking forward to participating on the forums!

best,
mike

ps - oh, I live in LA, originally from San Francisco, I work in software while looking for acting work, I write about comics in between auditions and my day job and all in all, life is good!

Last edited:

Timmeh88

Hi all! Just picked up my GTI yesterday with 51 miles on it (Now at about 150).

Kept it pretty basic. No leather or Nav for me. Supposedly the last 2010 4dr with the 6 speed to be sold in Illinois, but that might just be a little BS from the dealer.

I am already in love with this car. My former ride was a 2001 Mercury Cougar 2.5L V6 with a 5 speed and before that was a 1991 2.3L Ford Mustang LX.

I am finishing up college with student teaching next semester, so the mods will be cheap and simple for the time being. The long term list is growing though.

flbntz

I had a 1973 VW Super Beetle, my first new car. It was robin's egg blue, with a dark blue vinyl interior. I had ac added. It was the first year they had a little bit of a shroud over the speedometer, and a slightly curved windshield. I liked it, but it was too small for five guys to drive around in, so I sold it to my friend's father, and bought a 1969 Ford Thunderbird Coupe, midnight aqua, with a white vinyl half-roof. White vinyl interior, wrap around seats in the back, no rear windows, opera lights. 429 cu in v8, 335 hp Thunderjet engine. Wow. The party mobile. My brother has a 2000 Passat, which he's had a fair amount of trouble with, but still likes. He told me about the new Golfs, and that he was interested in the deisel, since his kids are grown, and he doesn't need the room anymore of the Passat. Anyway, I wound up looking at one, a gas version, and bought one. I really like it a lot. I'd gone through quite a few cars over the years, but had had a 2003 MB E320 last year, which I really liked, but the warrantee ran out, and the trans, and electrical system were doing funny things, so I traded it on a 2010 Prius. I liked the Prius, but it got to be boring to drive after awhile. It also didn't get the gas milage they advertised, 50mpg, which they said was due to the engine needing to run in the winter to run the heater. I did get 50 mpg one day when the temperature warmed up, but I was a bit dissatisfied with the way they presented the gas milage claims. Also, the recall stuff all happened with Toyota after I bought mine, and when I went to trade it, I got I figure about $2,000 less than the car was really worth. I paid $24,340, and got $19,110 for it with 4,000 miles on it. It had had the brake soft wear update, and was in perfect condition, three months old. My first Toyota, kind of disappointing. I'd had a Honda, and was very satisfied with it. Anyway, the VW feels much more solid than the Toyota, has engine, and suspension characteristics like the MB, and fahrvegnugen. It's just more satisfying to drive. And it has a new car warrantee. I have a two-door hatchback, silver, which, believe it, or not, I actually fit a grandfather clock in. 80 inches. Amazing. It looks so small from the outside, but it has plenty of room inside. I've hit 42mpg on the highway with it already, and routinely see 36 on back roads, and highways. I average 30 because there is so much traffic on the highway between where I live, and work anymore. Constantly passing, or being passed. I just got my California optometry license, so I'm looking to move to SoCal. Been studying Chinese medicine out there, and like it a lot better than South Central Pa where I currently live. No snow!

flbntz

How's the gas milage with the diesel? What issues have you had with it? Do you have trouble finding diesel at all? I know not all stations carry it.

GTICarGuy

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys I bought my black 2010 GTI 2 door with 6MT in April. This is my first experience with VW. I was in the USAF for 6 years and saw a MKV VW GTI and loved the interior quality and the (low) price. However, I never got one because I was trying to save money and then the air force moved me and then I didn't have a garage (went from homeowner to renter). I didn't want to buy my first new car and not have a garage to park it in so I waited until I separated got a job and a new house. I actually closed on the house then went and signed the papers on the GTI the same day. I am really enjoying the car since it will probably be my last MT car.

plat

Ready to race!
Hello all, my name is Phil. I have never owned any Euro-built or Euro-designed vehicles. My current ride is a '98 Nissan 200SX SE. I already got rid of my'02 Honda Accord EX Coupe. I am planning to meet a couple of VW dealers this week to place an order for a 2011 GTI. I hope all goes well :)

DimaGT

Ready to race!

GolfDude

Hey guys, my name is Marvin and i am from Stockholm, Sweden.

I got my license about 9 months ago, so ill be looking to buy my first car in the oncoming 3 months. And offcourse i'm looking for a Golf MK6. I accually kind off fell in love with the Golf the first time i rented it, but that one had almost no options and had the bio ethanol (E85, smells horrible :bellyroll:) engine stuffed in it, i can't wait until i try one moore powerful! Cause that one had 102 bhp and was almost unable to do a burnout! :D

Since i don't accually own a Golf yet you will probably see a couple of threads about what engine to buy and suspension to choose from, but please bear with me and hopefully i also will own a Golf MK6. :thumbup:

Cheers, Marvin.