GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help: Buying advice Golf R - Windscreen/Mirror Issue

GIAC_gti

Good day all,

I am in process of purchasing a Golf R. I came across a good one however an issue was spotted on the windshield where the mirror/sensors are on the car.

The dealer selling is referring to it as “air pockets” between the double layer of glass.
the original windscreen was replaced with an aftermarket one.

is this something to be concerned about? I’ve heard issues of the mirror falling off and the windscreen would need replacement.

the dealer selling the car doesn’t want to pay for a windscreen.

please advise what this is and if it’s risky?

thank you
5B83A992-D1D5-46C1-9AAD-5B9FF1BB41BF.jpeg

Attachments

• 8841CC31-34A4-44E4-8368-767D06E4EF95.jpeg
    8841CC31-34A4-44E4-8368-767D06E4EF95.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 54

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I haven't ever seen that before. Ask a glass company if it hurts anything or will get worse. I know a windscreen is actually 2 layers of glass so my uneducated concern would be that it will get worse.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I haven’t seen that before either but it doesn’t exactly look like air pockets between the glass to me either. It looks like either they started to crack the glass when reinstalling the windscreen/sensor pod, or whatever adhesive is there isn’t sitting evenly. (i assume there is some adhesive, I haven’t ever looked closely at our alltrack to see and my GTI doesn’t have the sensor)

If it’s a crack, sure could be an issue down the line, but the good news is that a windshield typically isn’t terribly expensive to replace, though in South Africa where I assume you are from based on your location tag, I don’t know what it costs.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
top one looks like glass crack...it'll get worse. If dealer won't budge and you still want it is full glass coverage available where you are? Priced right it wouldn't stop me from getting it but know future cost

Mud

also dealer "air pockets" on top one sounds like BS and take what he/she says with grain of salt.

nosmirk

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
7.5 DSG
The top one looks like a crack to me, you can see what looks like an impact crater on the upper left of your blue circle, near where the rainbow effect is. If you still have access, i'd run my fingernail over that spot to be sure.
Bottom one looks like a botched adhesive job.

GIAC_gti

On the outer surface it’s completely smooth, doesn’t feel cracked. I can’t say about the inside though.

I contacted a glass company.
They claim that the Mirror/Sensor unit was glued on and the adhesive is slowly starting to weaken and it’ll eventually give in and the mirror will fall or break off and the glass will get damaged in the process.
So you potentially will have to replace the glass and mirror unit in the process.

According to them the original vw glass has clips and brackets on the glass, and the mirror/sensor unit just clips onto it and no glue is needed.
New VW windscreen with fitment costs around $900.

cb1111

Will the car be under warranty? You could claim a warranty repair once the mirror falls off and takes half of the glass with it.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Will the car be under warranty? You could claim a warranty repair once the mirror falls off and takes half of the glass with it.
That might be tough with it being aftermarket already. I would get something in writing you won’t be liable or try to get money off the car to cover a future windshield replacement.