GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help finding Timing Parts

torga

Autocross Champion
IIRC, Deutsche Auto Parts sells a complete kit with everything you need.

godnf8

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for this, was looking for something like ETKA and with your mentioning it, was able to also find and confirm part numbers you listed. Awesome! https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/golf+r32+gti+rabbit/go/2011-649/1/103-103052/

While we are on topic, you guys happen to know where in VW workshop manuals I can find the camshaft bridge removal/install details with torque specs? I downloaded all the GTI stuff from erwin, but can't seem to find it in the timing section, just mention of replacing the cambridge seal and timing cover oil seal.

According to ETKA:
#7: N 910 967 01
#8: WHT 003 336
#5: N 104 707 03 (No need to replace these IMO, mine have been in and out a few times)
#6 is the N205 valve and no need to replace this unless it's faulty (it's pricey and easy enough to replace by simply removing the camshaft adjustment magnet - 3 bolts)

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
While we are on topic, you guys happen to know where in VW workshop manuals I can find the camshaft bridge removal/install details with torque specs? I downloaded all the GTI stuff from erwin, but can't seem to find it in the timing section, just mention of replacing the cambridge seal and timing cover oil seal.
The cam bridge is easy enough to remove once you have the upper timing cover off and the engine mount removed.

https://workshop-manuals.com/volksw...emoving_and_installing_camshaft_timing_chain/

And the torque specs are listed on the exploded view that you posted a link to originally (9nm for the main bolts, 8nm+90* for the small bolt with washer). When you reinstall the cam bridge it will be tight because the cams are being squeezed towards each other. If necessary, wiggle the cams while gently tapping the cam bridge into place with a soft face hammer. It all makes sense when you do it. Make sure to check the cam bridge screen for tear out. I recommend removing the screen if it's still in place, and trying to find it lodged in an oil passage if it's blown out.

If you're not familiar with this document definitely download it. Best reference guide for torque specs/sequences.

Lastly, if you haven't already read through my Timing Chain Replacement tips I recommend you do. I have a lot of links to resources there and many lessons learned (most everything I've posted in this thread is already in that post). Use the link in my signature.

godnf8

Passed Driver's Ed
Tony48, I must be blind because I still don't see the torque specs in the exploded view. The only thing I see is torque specs to a chapter link, but I get a blank page saying blocked when I try to access links off any of these manuals. Also the other document you linked gave me a 404 error when accessing. What about torque spec for the reverse threaded piece, 30nm I think i read somewhere? I think I have read everyone's how to, tips, and watched a lot of videos

godnf8

Passed Driver's Ed
Nevermind Tony48, was going to different exploded view, found torque specs, what about the difference in diameter? What cars have m6 vs m8 is my quest I guess. Guess I'll just caliper gauge it when I take out and make sure new one same

7 - Bolt
q Renew.
q M6: 8 Nm + turn 90° further
q M8: 20 Nm + turn 90° further.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Try this link
MK6 GTI/Golf R Quick Reference Specification Manual

Pretty sure that bolt was M6 when I pulled my cam bridge but yeah, measure and torque accordingly.

Torque spec for the N205 valve (reverse threaded piece) is 35Nm. Just FYI most torque wrenches won't click in reverse so don't try to torque the N205 valve without checking your torque wrench first. It's a very positive stop once the N205 valve bottoms out so just snug it up, you shouldn't have any issues torquing it by feel.

Edit: Where in VA are you?

godnf8

Passed Driver's Ed
Chantilly area, talked wife into letting me get another car since my other one in shop all time. I'm apparently not allowed to take this one to a shop based on said promises.... so getting down and dirty.

Try this link
MK6 GTI/Golf R Quick Reference Specification Manual

Pretty sure that bolt was M6 when I pulled my cam bridge but yeah, measure and torque accordingly.

Torque spec for the N205 valve (reverse threaded piece) is 35Nm. Just FYI most torque wrenches won't click in reverse so don't try to torque the N205 valve without checking your torque wrench first. It's a very positive stop once the N205 valve bottoms out so just snug it up, you shouldn't have any issues torquing it by feel.

Edit: Where in VA are you?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Chantilly area, talked wife into letting me get another car since my other one in shop all time. I'm apparently not allowed to take this one to a shop based on said promises.... so getting down and dirty.
You're a bit far from me otherwise I'd offer to come lend a hand with the job. Might be able to make something work though. PM me when you figure out when you'll be doing the work. I've also got a set of timing tools you're welcome to borrow.

godnf8

Passed Driver's Ed
You're a bit far from me otherwise I'd offer to come lend a hand with the job. Might be able to make something work though. PM me when you figure out when you'll be doing the work. I've also got a set of timing tools you're welcome to borrow.

thanks for offer Tony, will definitely shoot you a PM. Would love the extra help to alleviate brain injuries on my side. I plan on doing PCV, coils, plugs, brakes, trans fluid, coolant, fuel filter, etc. while I got it in maintenance mode. I got all the tools I need, short and long of everything, timing tools, etc. Ordering parts today and hope to start taking it apart throughout the week. Trying to finish small garage project with father in-law this weekend to give me more storage space and reclaim some lost work area. I remember when I could fit 2 cars in my garage....The good ol' days :yikes:

On a side note, anyone know differences between these balance shaft chain part numbers? 06K109158BS vs 06K109158A? I'm asking because if I get 06K109158A I can save about $70 going with FEBI over AUDI brand, but can only get AUDI for 06K109158BS. I did find 06K109158BS FEBI, but it doesn't ship until July, so assuming waiting on another production run from FEBI and I don't want to wait that long. Trying to finish everything before in-laws leave middle of June so wife has help with kid :23:

FlavMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I seized my engine. Downshifted to a lower gear and car won’t start. I was planing on taking the engine apart but I have never done this. I found this and read on it. Gave me some courage to go for it. But not 100percent sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godnf8

Passed Driver's Ed
I seized my engine. Downshifted to a lower gear and car won’t start. I was planing on taking the engine apart but I have never done this. I found this and read on it. Gave me some courage to go for it. But not 100percent sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might have bigger problems than just replacing timing chain and stuff. Could be broken valves and all sorts of issues if engine seized and won't start