GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! No Crank, No Start Diagnosis

Seth C

Hello all, this is my first thread so sorry about anything in advance.

I've been lurking for a very long time but I have not found my specific issue. Let me give you the full story of what happened so you can maybe have an answer.

I have a 62k miles, 2010 GTI Manual.

About 1 week ago, I was sitting in my car while it idles after driving 3 miles to school. Suddenly, after 15 minutes or so of idling my engine died and would not crank or start. I tried jumping to no avail and replaced the battery because the old one was tested to have 10% life about 2 weeks prior. It was then towed to my house. Ever since it stopped, every time I turn the key to accessory mode the throttle body will tick very quickly and the radiator fans will begin to run on full blast about 15 seconds after. This will persist until the key is shut off. I now have VCDS and after scanning found there to be no codes, but it is not able to communicate with the ECU. I will post that part below.

I have already tested the two ground wires in front of the battery, tested the cables to each battery post, checked both relay 100s that are in my engine fuse box, and my throttle body which looks almost new.

What can I do from here, has anyone encountered this?

With much appreciation,
Seth

Attachments

• Log-WVWED7AJXAW187935-101480km-63056mi-Seth.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Have you tested the alternator? A bad alternator could be the reason the first battery died, and if the alternator is bad the new battery will end up suffering the same fate.

Seth C

check power/ground/wiring to ecu... if good the ecu probably dead.
Have you tested the alternator? A bad alternator could be the reason the first battery died, and if the alternator is bad the new battery will end up suffering the same fate.
I really appreciate the input, I am currently checking my wiring and grounds and will also check the alternator. Thank you!

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Was just dealing with a similar issue, although my car didn’t die. Came out from my office to no start, and the dash lit up like Christmas tree. VCDS could not communicate with engine.

Car was towed to VW, and after a week they found wiring broken to the ECM. Quoted for parts + 6hr book time.

Seth C

Was just dealing with a similar issue, although my car didn’t die. Came out from my office to no start, and the dash lit up like Christmas tree. VCDS could not communicate with engine.

Car was towed to VW, and after a week they found wiring broken to the ECM. Quoted for parts + 6hr book time.
Was your throttle body clicking? What parts were quoted?

kjar2000

Would a bad ignition switch cause a no crank no start? I too have a 2010 mk6 gti and nothing happens. Instrument lights up. But that's it.

Seth C

Would a bad ignition switch cause a no crank no start? I too have a 2010 mk6 gti and nothing happens. Instrument lights up. But that's it.
So I gave up after it started one day but went back to no crank no start the next. Replaced starter, alternator, checked most electrical connections and ecm for corrosion, nothing.

From here I sent it to my mechanic who found that my gateway inside of the dashboard was corroded. Apparently there was a recall on these gateways on the mk6s, so that might have been my problem.

Im not sure about the ignition switch, once the gateway is on I will update.

If you still have the same problem check to see if you can communicate with the ecm, if you cant it may be an electrical connection to the ecm or the gateway, as that directs all inputs to each of the car's computers.

dstructcode

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I am having a similar issue. My car started fine this afternoon, maybe a little sluggish. I went to the store, came out and it would not start all. No crank. All electronics appear to come on fine. I was able to pop start it and drive it home. I took the battery out and tested it. Full charged and appears to be healthy. Considering the car ran completely fine on the way home, I'm not sure what it could be. I feel like if it were the starter, I would at least hear something. Any thoughts on it possibly being the ignition switch?

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
An old trick that may or may not work but is free. Find something to whack the starter with a few times. If the solenoid is bad you wouldn't hear the starter do anything. Wacking the starter will sometimes get a few more starts out of it. I have had a few cars in my life that I did this with.
Be careful if you stick anything metal (conductive) as there is a hot wire thats on the starter.
If the car drove fine after popping the clutch im guessing its the starter

dstructcode

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, I went ahead and took a look at the ignition via VCDS and saw that it was seeing at least something changing when the key was turned. It was in binary so I have no idea what it represents. So, I took your advice and got in there and hit the starter with a hammer and still nothing. I checked the power draw on the starter connector and sure enough it's pulling 12v when the ignition is turned. I think that pretty much guarantees it is the starter. Is it common for these to fail after a while and seemingly out of nowhere?