GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help! Timing Chain? Don't want to start car (video)

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Is my timing chain tensioner failing? Dual mass flywheel (DSG ? Sounds like something rattling around the engine.

https://vimeo.com/179685634

This noise, a very scary noise, just started a few minutes ago. What does it sound like? It came on suddenly.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Is my timing chain tensioner failing? Dual mass flywheel (DSG ? Sounds like something rattling around the engine.

https://vimeo.com/179685634

This noise, a very scary noise, just started a few minutes ago. What does it sound like? It came on suddenly.

I don't even want to know, nice shoes though. All jokes aside, it doesn't sound good, how about start up?

2011 MK6 2 Door UG | ECS Stage 2 Intake | COBB Stage 2 | COBB Turboback w/Highflow Cat/42DD O2 Spacer | Full DeAuto LED Kit | HID/Fog Kit | RevD, DV+ | R8 RedTops | Welcome Door Light VW Logo Projectors | VagCom Mods | Hatch Pop Kit | CTS PCV Catch Can | Neuspeed Charge Pipe | CTS Discharge Pipe | Eonon GA5153F Headunit | Full Kicker Audio | Alzor 081 18's | Pirelli PZeros

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Hahahahaha sounds fine now but have you checked which revision you have?

Not yet. Original buyer, based on when the factory warranty went away, bought it May 2010.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
Not yet. Original buyer, based on when the factory warranty went away, bought it May 2010.

Ok, definitely old one like I have. It doesn't even really sound like the chain though. Hmm.

2011 MK6 2 Door UG | ECS Stage 2 Intake | COBB Stage 2 | COBB Turboback w/Highflow Cat/42DD O2 Spacer | Full DeAuto LED Kit | HID/Fog Kit | RevD, DV+ | R8 RedTops | Welcome Door Light VW Logo Projectors | VagCom Mods | Hatch Pop Kit | CTS PCV Catch Can | Neuspeed Charge Pipe | CTS Discharge Pipe | Eonon GA5153F Headunit | Full Kicker Audio | Alzor 081 18's | Pirelli PZeros

DELETE

Autocross Champion

The fact that it went away makes me believe it could be exhaust rattle or something. Cat going bad? Loose hardware? Something random like that?

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion

DELETE

Autocross Champion

That doesn't sound abnormal, possibly the waste gate actuator rod tick? Which would require the clip mod. Other than that, I can't hear what I heard from the first video.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
One more start up - worried as to whether it would be safe go drive it home and then to mechanic in AM or stay where I am over night.

https://vimeo.com/179689041
The time I started the car prior this happening it started and then stalled by kind of puttering as it shut off, requiring a second ignition sequence car felt fine until I noticed that rattling. Was shifting normal as far as I could tell, etc. Worried about chancing a drive in it.

Last edited:

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
It doesn't do it on start up from what I can hear, it started once you panned down to the bumper, I don't think it's tensioner bro.

It may be hard to hear in the video but it's there from the moment the engine starts after the engine cranks and comes to life.
It's a normal-sounding idle with the noise of a hard object rattling/bouncing around. It's emanating from where the camera is pointed (below the intake and back) and loudest there.

Last edited:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
It may be hard to hear in the video but it's there from the moment the engine starts. It's a normal-sounding engine with something rattling/bouncing around. It's emanating from where the camera is pointed (below the intake and back) and loudest there.

Well tensioner is on the opposite side of the intake. Behind passenger wheel. If you have the ability to bring it to VW maybe do that and have someone pick you up so they can look at it asap. Tough call brother, I wonder if anyone else has input on here?! I dread these very moments myself.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Well tensioner is on the opposite side of the intake. Behind passenger wheel. If you have the ability to bring it to VW maybe do that and have someone pick you up so they can look at it asap. Tough call brother, I wonder if anyone else has input on here?! I dread these very moments myself.

This is the most recent and probably best example of the problem.
It doesn't happen on start up but see what happens around 00:06 when I revved it to 2K:

https://vimeo.com/179690614