GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High coolant temps

demon342

Ready to race!
Hey Everyone

Went through the whole summer with 90+ degree days and I never had a coolant issue or heard my fans turn on after turning off my car until yesterday which was only about 65-70 ambient temp. About an hour later I drove the car and kept an eye on my coolant temps and driving around I am seeing anywhere from 179-188 F and at idle it slowly creeped to 225 before I cut it. Some things I noticed is that when the AC is on the car maintains 188 degrees at idle, the fans aren't running at idle even after exceeding 200 degrees but turn on as soon as the car is off, highway driving at 70 mph I am seeing 188 still. Coolant looks good and isn't leaking. My friend recently had this issue on his GTI and did a coolant flush and is at normal temps but he never reached 225 and I think it would've kept going if I didn't kill the engine when I did, I even saw the temp gauge in the cluster move above 190 which is extremely rare for me. Still have heat obviously just too much of it lol. Gonna try a coolant flush but wanted to see what everyone thinks. Is my thermostat going? Maybe a radiator? Any relays or pressure/temp switches I should check?

demon342

Ready to race!
Update: drove for about 15 minutes then checked the fans at idle and they were running and stopped/started when my temps were above/below 190. Drove for about another 20-30 minutes and noticed my temps rising again going past 200 and not stopping. Checked the fans and they weren't running????