GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hole in AC hose - recharge after replacement?

austinhab

My high pressure (discharge) AC hose got a big hole dug in it from the radiator fan, and just burst on the weekend. I ordered a new hose, but what exactly do I need to do to recharge the system? Do I need to add oil, or is that only if you're replacing the compressor? I've done some top-up recharges before, but never worked on AC in more depth than that, so any knowledge would be helpful.

A/C was working great before this happened so I know the rest of the system is in good shape. It's a 2.5L 2012 if that makes any difference.

IMG_20200907_211517.jpg

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
You might need a receiver/drier also, if you don't have any a/c tools just pay a shop to vac/fill the system for you.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I second having a professional purge and refill the system. It can be dicey if you don't have the right equipment. They have mobile units that will come to your house and do it for you. Sorta like safelite auto glass.

austinhab

You might need a receiver/drier also, if you don't have any a/c tools just pay a shop to vac/fill the system for you.
Why would I need a drier? Do they go bad if the system is empty?

I second having a professional purge and refill the system. It can be dicey if you don't have the right equipment. They have mobile units that will come to your house and do it for you. Sorta like safelite auto glass.
Tried to find a mobile service near me but I'm coming up short. Is there a danger driving these cars with an empty AC system so I could make it to a shop? Normally I'd pull the fuse or relay for the compressor clutch, but these are always engaged right?

brat_burner

Autocross Champion

Tried to find a mobile service near me but I'm coming up short. Is there a danger driving these cars with an empty AC system so I could make it to a shop? Normally I'd pull the fuse or relay for the compressor clutch, but these are always engaged right?

Technically you're supposed to replace the drier any time you open the system. In your case the hose has had a hole in it for a while. You can drive it no problem, obviously just leave the air off. And on your question about oil, unless you completely flush the system it's almost impossible to estimate how much oil you would need to add. There should be plenty of residual so don't add a lot. Too much oil is bad...

Thumper

Autocross Champion

Been in auto repair for 26 years. The drier has a desiccant material and it's job is to suck in and store liquid. When the system is opened it will absorb moisture and particles from the air. If the opening of the system is minor and short lived while the car is off you can usually get away with not replacing it. I am assuming the hose blew while the car was being driven? Which means the system was running and sucked in big gulps of air.

You don't HAVE to replace the drier......but if you don't there's a chance you'll be replacing your compressor down the road.

This is also the reason why you need a professional to do what's call Evac and Recharge. It requires a special (and fairly expensive) machine to vacuum out the entire system, removing all old oil, freon, and the contaminants in the system. Then the entire system will need to be recharged with oil and freon under pressure.

This is not something you can do on your own in your garage. If you replace the hose and then drive the car to a shop you risk damaging the compressor running it without oil and freon if you accidentally turn it on without thinking. The system may even do maintenance cycles even when off and that could cause issues.