GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Home improvement thread

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Closing in a month. It was in preconstruction

house comes with a iq panel. I’m going to try and make sure it’s not locked to an installer.

zwave, I really like it. I just hate how expensive some of the zwave stuff is.

zigbee, seems to be all over the place and battery life isn’t as great as zwave

HomeKit is expensive and a pain in the ass

the Amazon stuff, I haven’t made an opinion yet.

any tips on the iq panel? Can it be rooted?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
I am HomeKit which can be expensive but there are companies making cheaper stuff. Aqara, Nanoleaf and Vocolinc are some of my favorite.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
I am HomeKit which can be expensive but there are companies making cheaper stuff. Aqara, Nanoleaf and Vocolinc are some of my favorite.
My issue with HomeKit is how expensive things are. There’s a huge gap between the price of a HomeKit compatible lightbulb vs a zigbee, for example.

plus it seems like HomeKit stuff uses either WiFi or thread. The WiFi stuff murders it’s batteries fairly quickly it seems.

thread on the other hand, seems like it sips batteries very lightly. But thread stuff is unreasonably expensive IMO.

I think I’m gonna stick to zwave for now. As soon as HomeKit becomes more affordable I’ll get an iPad mini and slowly build out on HomeKit. It’s just too pricey right now for what it is

then there’s the Amazon stuff. I know nothing about it but their ancillary stuff is cheaper. Maybe even the cheapest. But the quality is all over the place, it’s like zigbee in a way

but yeah. Definitely gonna do HomeKit when prices drop some.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Thread is awesome and is more future proof IMO. My Nanoleaf bulbs use it.

Amazon was my second choice but decided on HomeKit for security, ease of use and integration with my other MAC/iOS stuff. It’s a slow journey tho cause of that cost 😕

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Thread is awesome and is more future proof IMO. My Nanoleaf bulbs use it.

Amazon was my second choice but decided on HomeKit for security, ease of use and integration with my other MAC/iOS stuff. It’s a slow journey tho cause of that cost 😕
Thread is definitely the way. All the pros of WiFi zigbee zwave etc with zero downsides