GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long did your factory battery last?

minorthreat55

Passed Driver's Ed
2012 - died this year, at around 37K miles.

Two weak/slow cranks, and then I drove to AutoZone and got a battery. It's fresh now.

mario01

My battery kicked the bucket a month ago. Late 2012.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
I am still on my stock battery in my 2012 GTI - I've been told it should be replaced about 6 years in to be safe but its still going strong. It might be starting to crank over a bit slower these days, but its still not completely clear.

I've been itching to replace my OEM unit with a lighter weight one for along time now, but since my stock one was lasting so darn long I didn't want to throw it out early.

zrickety

The Fixer
My starter died today...2nd one for the 09 car.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I am still on my stock battery in my 2012 GTI - I've been told it should be replaced about 6 years in to be safe but its still going strong. It might be starting to crank over a bit slower these days, but its still not completely clear.

I've been itching to replace my OEM unit with a lighter weight one for along time now, but since my stock one was lasting so darn long I didn't want to throw it out early.

That's exactly what I was thinking, then a couple months later my shit was dead over night. Nothing left on, wouldn't charge... Had no lightweight batteries laying around. Anybody reading this thread should be knocking on wood lol

zrickety

The Fixer
Dang, 6 years is a miracle. You should donate it to science.

AM407

Autocross Champion
I finally replaced my stock battery after 8.5 years.

Not because it was dead or dying (it wasn’t), just because it was fall and I figured it would be smart not to chance another winter with it.

Part of me wishes I’d taken the gamble, though, just to see how long it could have lasted.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
My batteries die every three years.
That's exactly what I was thinking, then a couple months later my shit was dead over night. Nothing left on, wouldn't charge... Had no lightweight batteries laying around. Anybody reading this thread should be knocking on wood lol
Dang, 6 years is a miracle. You should donate it to science.
Yeah, mine seem to be about the same, every 2 1/2- 3yrs. I drive a lot though.....

Yeah, wow these are exactly the sorts of comments I hear all my car friends telling me all the time that make me want to change my Battery early.

This first became a topic of conversation between my friends about 2 years ago and everyone insisted I needed to change it ASAP.
Thankfully I always have jumper cables and I carry my own jump box at all times, so I should be able to start it at least a few times with little trouble if it ever does die.

In my head I know its absurd for a battery of any sort to last this long... but I mean it is still choochin along just fine. I wonder if there is a way to test for the health of the battery and not just if it is still working vs dead.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yeah, mine seem to be about the same, every 2 1/2- 3yrs. I drive a lot though.....
I’m down to a few thousand miles a year from 15k to 20k miles a year, so maybe my batteries will last longer now.

Still, I’m looking to replace the 45 lb beast with a 5 lb lithium.

zrickety

The Fixer
Thankfully I always have jumper cables and I carry my own jump box at all times, so I should be able to start it at least a few times with little trouble if it ever does die.
In my head I know its absurd for a battery of any sort to last this long... but I mean it is still choochin along just fine.
Well, you just jinxed yourself. Expect to get random warning lights soon. You'll need a battery sooner than later.
I don't carry cables, a jump box or even a spare. Weight savings=faster. When the starter died I just pushed it and popped the clutch.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You people riding on 7 year old batteries disgust me.