GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long does it take for oil to warm up?

DeVfrodan

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got a 2013 gti. I run Castrol Edge Full synthetic 5w40. I live in Canada and don't have access to indoor parking, and the winter gets around -25 Celsius or -15 Fahrenheit on an average night in the middle of winter. Like the title says, how long does it take for the oil to get to operating temperatures when the engine starts around the temps mentioned before? (While you're at it, how long does it take in the summer with nicer hot weather like 25 celsius or 80 Fahrenheit?)
TIA, trying to enjoy my car and keep it healthy at the same time!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
It really does depend on ambient temps. It was 23f today and my cold start took almost two minutes. Granted I’m on 0w20

as soon as you start your car. Just wait till your revs drop to idle speed. At that point you’re good to drive. Just stay out of boost till your oil temps are at least 170-180f.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Gotta drive it to warm up. Temps like those, it should take like 5 minutes of driving to reach 190.

Dont drive over 3k rpms while it is below 190. This will keep you out of boost and ensure your turbo isnt damage by any oil starvation while warming up.

Hope this helps

tdream1

Autocross Newbie

AM407

Autocross Champion
5 minutes of driving doesn’t sound like enough.

I’ve installed an inline coolant heater in mine, and even after it’s been preheated, it can take 5 minutes of driving just to get the coolant temp gauge to 90.

I don’t have an oil temp gauge, so I try to wait another 5-10 minutes after the coolant comes up to temp before stomping on it.

I’m in Canada too, car is always parked outside, and I run Castrol 0W-40.

DeVfrodan

Passed Driver's Ed
It really does depend on ambient temps. It was 23f today and my cold start took almost two minutes. Granted I’m on 0w20

as soon as you start your car. Just wait till your revs drop to idle speed. At that point you’re good to drive. Just stay out of boost till your oil temps are at least 170-180f.
You have discovered my issue, I have zero clue what my oil temps are... Why couldn't vw just keep that info in the MFI for the NA market? so frustrating.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
You have discovered my issue, I have zero clue what my oil temps are... Why couldn't vw just keep that info in the MFI for the NA market? so frustrating.
Oh damn. Sorry. The sti can’t see oil temps either. What I do for her, after cold start. I start driving but keep it under 2500rpm and zero boost. I take note of the time and I don’t open her up till 10 minutes go by.

can you not add oil temp via coding?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Gotta add a temp gauge as I think even with a Polar FIS you can't read engine oil temp on a GTI.

Once it's up to operating temp via the temp gauge you should be good to go.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
If starting the car from an overnight rest I let it idle for roughly 2 minutes just to be sure the oil has fully circulated to all parts of the engine and is in it's groove. LOL Then yes, you have to drive it to reach operating temp quickly. Remember, the oil is thin when it's cold (unless you're running single weight like Lance who likes 40 weight just right) so it flows faster getting some protection to the engines moving parts. You don't want to idle to reach operating temp because it will take forever especially at those temps and that's just a longer time running the engine without full protection.

Dont drive over 3k rpms while it is below 190. This will keep you out of boost and ensure your turbo isnt damage by any oil starvation while warming up.

^ This, but also remember that the operating temp of the coolant is not the same as the temp of the oil. Without an oil temp gauge to confirm the oil is at 190+ you should avoid WOT, hard pulls, ect for longer. I don't have a gauge in my R yet but the TTRS came with one stock and even in summer temps the oil doesn't reach 190-200 until several minutes after the coolant does. Course it has an oil cooler too.

As has been said this will greatly depend on ambient, humidity and a dozen other factors, there's no one answer for you without getting a gauge.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
With a cold start it takes me nearly 10 minutes of driving for my oil to get to 180 degrees when the temp outside is between 75-95 degrees.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
sorry for this question as my brain does stuff.... what's your biggest concern with regards to engine oil temperatures? Is this the first time you're running the car in the winter? Have you had issues before? Do you get on the highway soon after start-up? Is this your daily?

I won't repeat what the other's have said but they all have shared excellent points. Oil temp gauge is a great idea if you really want to be informed. Just because you have heat doesn't mean the oil temps are where you want them to be if you're planning on doing big pulls or dyno-ing the car.
Personally for me when it's sub 15C or more outside once the rpm drops off after initial start up and I'm driving I let my rpms climb reasonably well and shift at the 3-3500 rpm mark.. it takes me about 10-12 mins to reach the highway so i figure by then I'm good to give 'er a bit more to get up to cruising speed.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

speeding_ant

Go Kart Newbie
Interestingly our ROW gti has oil temp in the MFD. I find it takes roughly 10 minutes of motorway driving to reach 82 degrees celsius (180f), then you can go nuts. Add more time if it's cold outside.

DeVfrodan

Passed Driver's Ed
sorry for this question as my brain does stuff.... what's your biggest concern with regards to engine oil temperatures? Is this the first time you're running the car in the winter? Have you had issues before? Do you get on the highway soon after start-up? Is this your daily?

I won't repeat what the other's have said but they all have shared excellent points. Oil temp gauge is a great idea if you really want to be informed. Just because you have heat doesn't mean the oil temps are where you want them to be if you're planning on doing big pulls or dyno-ing the car.
Personally for me when it's sub 15C or more outside once the rpm drops off after initial start up and I'm driving I let my rpms climb reasonably well and shift at the 3-3500 rpm mark.. it takes me about 10-12 mins to reach the highway so i figure by then I'm good to give 'er a bit more to get up to cruising speed.
My main concern is that yes, sometimes I get on the highway only about 4 minutes after starting up. I know for sure the car isn't warm so I get up to speed really slowly in that circumstance, but like you said it is my first winter with the car and I just want it to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible, so I'm just asking the question to see what others think.