GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long is too long to go without DSG fluid change?

Megafan625

Passed Driver's Ed
My car has 45K miles right now and honestly I had not given it much thought until recently. Looks like we are supposed to do DSG fluid change at 40K, but how far is too far to go without doing it? Also, is there regular transmission fluid that needs change as well?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
DSG is every 40k, change it. Or you will adversely affect transmission operation/longevity.

You can probably wait until 75 or 100k on a MANUAL but not on a DSG.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
i waited til 43k until i did mine. to be honest i didn't even notice any difference what so ever in performance.

Megafan625

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys, I will call around to see what kind of pricing I can get from shops around here to do it. Anyone know of someone reputable in the Tampa Bay area? I really don't want to take it to my dealer, they are complete idiots and told me my engine was leaking when in reality they are the ones that spilled oil on the engine when doing the oil change and there actually was no leak.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I say 45K is alright, but 50K is pushing it big time.

dneidham

Thanks guys, I will call around to see what kind of pricing I can get from shops around here to do it. Anyone know of someone reputable in the Tampa Bay area? I really don't want to take it to my dealer, they are complete idiots and told me my engine was leaking when in reality they are the ones that spilled oil on the engine when doing the oil change and there actually was no leak.

If Holbrooks is still in business, AVOID them like the plague. one of the most irreputable shops I ever dealt with. I no longer live there though, so I do not know who to go to. I do know to avoid Holbrooks unless you want your car screwed up.
Dale

zsm722

Ready to race!
I did mine at 23.5k, because I was having the mechatronics unit replaced under warranty anyway, which required the fluid to be drained. I did new filter and fluid for a cheaper price because of the warranty work. I think 30-35k is the right time to do the DSG fluid change, if you want to be safe.

Megafan625

Passed Driver's Ed
I just called a shop who supposedly is very familiar with VW's. He is telling me that I really should not touch the filter associated with the DSG system and is recommending to do just a drain and fill. He is saying those filters have multiple strainers associated with it and it is better just to leave it. What do you all think about this? It is so weird how nobody wants to touch this DSG system, they all avoid it like the plague.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I just called a shop who supposedly is very familiar with VW's. He is telling me that I really should not touch the filter associated with the DSG system and is recommending to do just a drain and fill. He is saying those filters have multiple strainers associated with it and it is better just to leave it. What do you all think about this? It is so weird how nobody wants to touch this DSG system, they all avoid it like the plague.

This is complete horse shit and a sign that you need to find a better shop! The filter is a basic filter that sits in a plastic housing... The only difficult part for a shop changing the DSG fluid or filter is waiting until the fluid cools down to fill it up with new fluid. Just go to your dealer if you cannot find a good indy shop that knows what they are doing. :w00t:

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion

new shop

kec789

Ready to race!
I use a specialty German shop that deals in nothing bu VW, Audi, BMW, etc. They do all of my oil changes, they did my APR tune and intake install, and I had them do my DSG service at 43K as well. If I remember correctly I paid just over 200 bucks for the DSG service. I'd find a shop like this if you aren't going to use a VW dealer. When you are doing the DSG service they are supposed to hook up VAG COM and get the temp of the trans to a specific range to make sure the levels are correct, etc. I watched them go through this process because they know their stuff where I go. I cringe at the thought of a place doing a DSG service without the proper tools or know how.

As far as the rest of the "40K Service" most of the stuff they recommend doing can be done in your driveway.

EDIT: A buddy of mine recommended http://www.ajmotorworks.com/index.html They are in Tampa I believe. (But if that's the place you already called who gave you the advice about the filter ignore this suggestion...)

There is a special on their website of $50 off any repair or service over $150.

Last edited:

Megafan625

Passed Driver's Ed
EDIT: A buddy of mine recommended http://www.ajmotorworks.com/index.html They are in Tampa I believe. (But if that's the place you already called who gave you the advice about the filter ignore this suggestion...)

There is a special on their website of $50 off any repair or service over $150.

Thanks for the info, I will give them a shot. The place I had called was Mad Hatter, who claims to have extensive VW knowledge. Clearly they don't. And the quote he gave me was absolutely insane - $520

georgy

Ready to race!
My car has 45K miles right now and honestly I had not given it much thought until recently. Looks like we are supposed to do DSG fluid change at 40K, but how far is too far to go without doing it? Also, is there regular transmission fluid that needs change as well?

Read on the TDI forums some shop changed the fluid at over 100k miles for a customer on a Jetta.

Guess what? Transmission did not explode.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Read on the TDI forums some shop changed the fluid at over 100k miles for a customer on a Jetta.

Guess what? Transmission did not explode.

Why change the engine oil?
Maintenance is for people that waste money.