GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long is too long to go without DSG fluid change?

georgy

Ready to race!
I'm not encouraging not changing oil. Just saying a few miles over won't be an issue. US recommendstion for DSG is already 4,000 km higher than the Canadian.

VWofA probably just wanted to pick a nice round number.

Megafan625

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so I got my DSG service scheduled for next Thursday at ajmotorworks. Thanks again Kec789 for the reference, the guy there definitely knows what he is talking about, plus he has a German accent so he's gotta be legit right? lol

voidopolis

Passed Driver's Ed
if you are worried about cost, this isn't that difficult of a job to do yourself. I did mine right around 30k.

ECS sells a kit.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Search/SiteSearch/Dsg_Service/ES11968/

there are several DIY videos as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhE19GCXlvA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBYQnjur_wg

IMHO: don't skip your maintenance. its there for a reason. oil breaks down and gets dirty. prevention is much less expensive than dealing with a massive failure.

something this easy to do shouldn't be skipped - its just as important as your engine oil.

Megafan625

Passed Driver's Ed
Nah I wasn't too worried about cost, I just really did not want to take the car to my dealer because they are complete idiots and, well, its a long story. But anyway, it just seemed like any shop I called for a quote I might as well have been speaking another language because they had no idea what this service entailed. Thankfully someone on this forum recommended a shop in Tampa and they clearly know what they are talking about and they only service German cars. Plus the quote wasn't too bad - $292 + tax. I would rather just pay this than try and do this myself. Transmission is something I really do not want to experiment on.

Vesper

Ready to race!
I'm at 58k and going on my 2012. The only thing i change is my oil. :D

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Nah I wasn't too worried about cost, I just really did not want to take the car to my dealer because they are complete idiots and, well, its a long story. But anyway, it just seemed like any shop I called for a quote I might as well have been speaking another language because they had no idea what this service entailed. Thankfully someone on this forum recommended a shop in Tampa and they clearly know what they are talking about and they only service German cars. Plus the quote wasn't too bad - $292 + tax. I would rather just pay this than try and do this myself. Transmission is something I really do not want to experiment on.

So did they do a good job?

mark986

Ready to race!
Just had this done at the dealer. Transmission definitely feels a lot smoother.

Flyfishsick

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow great video thanks. I read somewhere that the dealer also adjusts some cumputer peramitures when doing this DSG service? Is there any truth to this?

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
I guess OP had the job done already but just saying...I had a mkv for 100k miles and never once changed the DSG fluid...no issues at all. Your car will survive if you go a little over 40k. Anyways I now have a 6spd mkvi. That is all.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I recently changed my own DSG fluid/filter for $143 total (including shipping). It was really easy since I have a VAG-COM cable. It had been 40k since my last change and I noticed no difference in smoothness, but that's fine. I'd be worried if it had degraded to the point of noticing a big difference upon a fluid change.

Dealer quoted me $485 for the same service. A local non dealer VW service shop quoted me $335.

mark986

Ready to race!
Had mine done for $278 at the dealer.

65Strad

Ready to race!
Wow great video thanks. I read somewhere that the dealer also adjusts some cumputer peramitures when doing this DSG service? Is there any truth to this?

Yes it is true. I used to work in VW/SAAB sales in the 80's. The guy that work's on my car is a master tech that used to work as a kid at the store I as at in the 80's.

He mentioned that when I get the DSG service he will set everything to specs and reflash to latest specs. I'm at 26K now. He did say that some techs at his shop only do the service with filter unfortunately. He said that it is common that this service isn't properly/thoroughly performed by many VW techs let alone indie shops.

He said there is more to it than just changing fluids/filter. There is a right way to do it and many wrong way's. I'm glad I know someone well that does this for a living.