GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how much boost can our stock engine take?

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I did it funny that the OP claims to have had much more powerful cars, and he has a big turbo, LSD, ect

And still asks how much PSI the engine can hold. Either he's making shit up or he's trolling

dwagner88

Ready to race!
When I first left the MS3 scene, people were starting to break the 500 whp barrier on that engine with a bigger turbo and built internals. At that point traction was even a problem in the 60-130 run. Sure it could be made to work with careful throttle modulation, but at the end of the day it is still a big compromise to a rwd or awd car with the same amount of power.

mm28

I did it funny that the OP claims to have had much more powerful cars, and he has a big turbo, LSD, ect

And still asks how much PSI the engine can hold. Either he's making shit up or he's trolling

lol

yeah like i have no life and need to troll here to get attentions from some 20 year olds.

go search m3forums, my user name there is m28.
i was one of the first people in the States to put a super charger in an E46 M3, this was back in 2004 and maybe less than 10 FI'd E46 M3s in the world.

as to why i am asking this seemingly simple question, well because i simply do not know nor can i find it with a quick search.

Last edited:

Fizor

Ready to race!

240sx guys and their silly pictures. I guess that's all you can do when the majority of the life of the car is spent with the engine outside of the car :eek:
:threadjacked:

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Your asking a question with no answer. I thought some car guru who did that and that and the other thing and is always the first to break new ground would no better than to ask something so dumb.

mm28

Your asking a question with no answer. I thought some car guru who did that and that and the other thing and is always the first to break new ground would no better than to ask something so dumb.

lol, another odd question from you.

well i couldnt sleep so i will entertain the idea.
this car is new for me, plus i didnt do the works myself, i am simply a fund provider;)

what would be dumb is no knowing something and dont have the desire to find out; even if it meant having to cut through and bear with some childish antics in the process.

happy yet?

mod please feel free to close this thread, because thanks to the select few, it is no longer related the 2.0T engine....or GTI.... or cars for that matter
well done my fellow GTI owners:clap:

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
The limit on the "boost" pressure the motor can take would be imposed by physical strength of everything between the turbo and the cylinder head. Intercooler, piping, throttle body, intake manifold, etc. Once you get inside the motor, it's a different story - the stock compression ratio is 9.6:1, and increasing boost will by some significant factor increase your combustion chamber pressure at top dead center. That results in more fuel and combustion products blowing by the rings, puts more stress on the crank and rods as aforementioned, not to mention the head gasket and even injectors...

It is a good question though, how much can we force feed our EA888 until rods start bending or head gaskets blow?

k03tfsi

Ready to race!
the only thing I can say is that the ea888 engine is very strong!!! a friend of me with a 1.8tsi and a ko4 with custom tune was running 29psi in the midrange with 27psi@5000rpm and 20psi @7200rpm over a year without to know that he works 29 psi because he put after a year a boostgauge on his car and was very shoked running to his tuner to cut the boost to 26 psi from 3200-5000rpm with 23 psi@6000 and 19 psi @7200rpm. this car is running so another year without any problem and over 350hp @ crank! with a stock ea888 1.8t(f)si!

k03tfsi

Ready to race!
here are the stock internals of a 1.8tsi that was running with a gtx3071 and maxed out the stock injectors @ 400hp@crank ( 370whp )
they are now replaced with custom forged rods and cp-pistons.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340400722127.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340400722127.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 231
  • uploadfromtaptalk1340400746254.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340400746254.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 226
  • uploadfromtaptalk1340400768314.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340400768314.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 235
  • uploadfromtaptalk1340400788931.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340400788931.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 247

VagPuncher

Ready to race!
i dont personally think the question can be answered..everybody has an "opinion" but i'm not sure if anyone really popped their motor yet due to more power.. i went with rods in my motor because it was apart for rods/pistons to prepare it for the stage 4 but wrong pistons and no time = just drop in rods.. stage 3+ from my experience is 22-24 from 3800- redline

nicolasl46

Go Kart Champion
i dont personally think the question can be answered..everybody has an "opinion" but i'm not sure if anyone really popped their motor yet due to more power.. i went with rods in my motor because it was apart for rods/pistons to prepare it for the stage 4 but wrong pistons and no time = just drop in rods.. stage 3+ from my experience is 22-24 from 3800- redline

Where in queens do you live?

SFGiants

Ready to race!
How in the world will you put 400whp through the front two wheels? This will not end well.

Old thread, but I saw MaxTDI's comment and feel compelled to back him up.

If you're content about only going fast in a straight line, give a GTI all the power you desire.

If you're going to be doing anything other than this drag racing, however, I think you're asking for trouble putting more than 300 or so horsepower in a GTI - or any other front-drive vehicle. My opinion is that understeer is both far scarier and harder to correct than breaking your tail loose in a rear-drive car.

Jasonsalcido42

i did used the search function but came up with nothing, so how much boost can our stock 2.0T MK6 engine take before upgrade internal is needed?

Thanks in advance!!
My parents have been running a ko4 at 24psi for about 7 ish years now. The specs
Apr ko4 kit
Includes ko4 with ported exhaust housing
Apr down pipe
Apr ko4 tune mapped for a few different fuel grades I know 91 and 100 are two of them not sure what the 3rd is
Apr ko4 manifold
Magna flow exhaust
R8 coil packs
New speed fmic
Apr stage 1 intake.
The factory im flap came loose and almost killed the head so an hpa im was installed.
The car is a dsg. It chewed thru it’s first set of clutch pack in 4 years. They bought the car with everything done from a used car lot... the lot nor my parents really knew what the car had done until i called underneath and it went to Stuttgart in Tucson for it first service. It does not have a catch can. It does not have a dsg tune. The bought it around 38k miles it’s now sitting at around 110k. This car is driven everyday. Issues over the years... 1 set of clutch packs, chain and guides updated guilds. In the very beginning I believe they did a rear main. When they did the clutch packs the rear main was replaced again but, not because it was bad. And overall it still drives the same as the day they brought it home.