GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to get radio code?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
The RNS-315 in my '12 GTI has some memory corruption and forgets my Bluetooth pairings every now and then. I'm considering replacing it with a used one. Is there a way to get the radio code without going to the dealer?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The RNS-315 in my '12 GTI has some memory corruption and forgets my Bluetooth pairings every now and then. I'm considering replacing it with a used one. Is there a way to get the radio code without going to the dealer?
Some dealers used to do this over the phone. Need to call around to find one willing to do it though.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Does your RNS315 have a built in BT or is the module under the seat like mine is? Replacing the module is easy if so and may fix your issue.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
Does your RNS315 have a built in BT or is the module under the seat like mine is? Replacing the module is easy if so and may fix your issue.
I believe it's integrated, there's nothing under the seat as far as I know.

When I connect to the radio controller via VAG-COM, it shows a code for a general memory failure.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I believe it's integrated, there's nothing under the seat as far as I know.

When I connect to the radio controller via VAG-COM, it shows a code for a general memory failure.
That's a bummer. If I had something to put in my tiguan, which has rns315 with BT built in, I'd offer that up for you. Good luck dude.

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
That's a bummer. If I had something to put in my tiguan, which has rns315 with BT built in, I'd offer that up for you. Good luck dude.
Well, service guy at the dealer said that it should be specific to the radio itself, not the car, so if I plan on replacing the head unit it's a non issue. Love it when problems turn out to not be problems

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
If a dealer charges you find another dealer.
Every dealer will charge ay least a half hour labor for this. Years ago you could call the parts dept with the vin and they'd give it to you but vw cracked down on this requiring the car to be physically present to confirm the radio isn't stolen. If you bring a radio from another car you'll need the vin from the original car so they can verify it's not reported stolen.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Every dealer will charge ay least a half hour labor for this. Years ago you could call the parts dept with the vin and they'd give it to you but vw cracked down on this requiring the car to be physically present to confirm the radio isn't stolen. If you bring a radio from another car you'll need the vin from the original car so they can verify it's not reported stolen.
Recent experience with dealer and yes on fee, plus car with radio installed had to be present for reason you stated. Just trying to give away my oem headunit for free turned out to be easier to just dump it.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Get the RNS 510 or something better.