GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to remove the heater core?

DMcC

Anybody ever removed the heater core in their mk6? i seen a video on youtube for a jetta which looked straight forward to do but the golf doesnt appear to the same, the pipes go in differently

Anybody know what to do here? Or am I better to try and flush it with the pipes on the firewall?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Anybody ever removed the heater core in their mk6? i seen a video on youtube for a jetta which looked straight forward to do but the golf doesnt appear to the same, the pipes go in differently

Anybody know what to do here? Or am I better to try and flush it with the pipes on the firewall?
If it's not leaking don't remove it.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
It won't be totally clogged.

Disconnect the heater connections, pour some CLR in the exit and try back flushing several times.

ViR

The Russian
Hi guys. My heater core is actually leaking so I have to pull it out.
Question is, how?
I looked all over and couldn't find a DYI for GTI specifically.
There is a video is Mk5 which mentions to pull on pipes from engine bay but that doesn't seems to be working. From the engine side pipes are not moving, there is no give at all.

Any ideas?

ViR

The Russian
Looks like it comes out in the driver foot well. Honestly doesn't look too hard...

Problem is, its impossible to disconnect it from the pipes going into the engine bay. There is no wiggle room to spread them apart.

Each of the heater core pipes goes inside the engine bay pipes by 10-15mm, I can only spread them out by 2mm.

Seems like something has to be disconnected in order to free up some room.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Well yes and no. You have to disconnect them inside the engine bay. HERE....
20191201_203930.jpg

You don't take the hose clamps off. What you do is remove the fitting directly behind them. Once the hoses are off you'll find a screw in between them that you should loosen up. This will loosen the pipes a bit and make removal easier. At this point you go inside to remove the core.

To get to these hoses you'll need to remove the intake pipe from the air filter to the turbo.

ViR

The Russian
I've disconnected the hoses and removed the screw but it still doesnt give me any more room. :(
Pipes wiggle slightly, but I cannot pull them to have enough space in the cabin.
I had a buddy help me so we can pull from both sides, no luck.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Naaaa.

1. remove knee airbag driver side
2. remove driver footwell vent
3. remove screws holding cover in place
4. open pipe clamps and disconnect coolant pipes from heater core.
5. remove heater core.

You have probably missed the pipe clamps in item 4.

I'm getting this from my shop key service manuals but it looks right. Hope that helps.
heater.png
heater 2.png

ViR

The Russian
No, I did all that.. I can get flathead screwdriver between the two pipes but cant spread them by much..

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
How I've addressed leaking heater cores in the past:

- Disconnect hoses from firewall
- Remove one hose, and replace it with the free end of the remaining hose to bypass the core
- I just don't have a heater anymore