GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to remove the heater core?

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
I know, just being a smartass... They were also POS cars and I was super broke. I remember driving to work in the morning wrapped in a blanket, with one finger on the ice-cold wheel. Inadvisable ;)

AnchorsAweigh

Go Kart Champion
Found this thread when I was looking for how to change out my heater core. So figured I’d put in my two cents now that I’m done.

the dash doesnt need to come out. The only thing you need to remove is the access panel to the center console on the drivers side footwell. And the little plastic air guide in the drivers footwell. It’s held in my two star bits. You need to remove it to make sliding the heater core out easier.

I didn’t have to go into the engine bay for nothing other than to top off the coolant when I was done. After I removed the clamps connecting the heater core to the heater core hose set I just took a very thin flathead and used it to help pry them apart being careful to not damage the hoses as much as possible, they are aluminum so they will mar up.

be sure to have a towel laid down and be ready for coolant to be dumped everywhere. Overall it took about an hourish.

orlioe

One little addition, just made it and helped tremendously. At the engine bay, loose completely the tiny screw holding the in/out flange for heater core as already mentioned. Mine screw sat in there, but obviously was undone - no need to remove. Then, very important step!!! not described yet - peel the rubber boot around the flange with screwdriver and pull the flange out towards the engine. It will likely move an inch or so, but once the rubber boot no longer is wrapped around the flange, the tubes inside will stop bouncing back towards the tubes of the heater core.
Before doing that, I was prying the tube connection as AnchorsAweigh described and of course scuffed the ends a bit, and barely separated 1 mm. They were bouncing back in. After I peeled the rubber boot infront I shook a bit sideways and out and to my surprise when I went to fight again under the steering wheel, they were off already, with tube seals now out. It took just a tiny effort to get them off completely and the core slid right out with slight tilt of the front downwards just before it completely got out. Actually, you may find out you won't even need to pry tubes at the heater core beforehand, as the connection after taking the clamps look rather loose.

You can see on the image below the groove of the flange where the rubber boot was. Another benefit of taking the coolant connectors off is you can blow off the coolant from the heater core to prevent leaks inside.
IMG_20211207_200920_4[1].jpg