GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How To - Water pump replacement, the quick and easy way

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
But this doesn't help me to bitch about how I'm going to dump vw because it is an unreliable pos.

Seriously thanks for the post ! Looks pretty damn easy.

MaxTDI do the TDI's have the same issue?

I was on the fence about trading in my GTI. Im on its 3rd WP in 22K miles. I just cant afford the loss right now.

One thing that does suck is VW Only provides Roadside Assistance for 3 yrs or 36k miles, even though the WP is covered for 5yrs or 60k miles. SSSOOO Does this mean I am paying for the 100+ mile tow to the nearest VW dealer if the next one fails after 36k?

If it happens to me again? I am getting an attorney and filing Lemon Law.

Jeff

v.b

Ready to race!
A leaking waterpump doesn't require towing. All it requires is some distilled water until you can reach the dealership.

zrickety

The Fixer
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I just take the bolts to the wire wheel and add new loctite.

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
A leaking waterpump doesn't require towing. All it requires is some distilled water until you can reach the dealership.

How bad mine was leaking and the fact the closest Dealer was over 100 miles away? Nah Its getting towed. Especially if its on VW's Dime. LEAST THEY CAN DO!!

Jeff

v.b

Ready to race!
ive driven longer with a leaking waterpump. just stop by a pharmacy and get a gallon of distilled water. should last long enough easily..

zrickety

The Fixer
I am literally in the middle of this right now. I have the new pump and oil cooler union o-rings, but have somehow overlooked the o-ring on that plastic pipe. ECS website doesn't list it under the water pump or lines. Do you have a part number or idea where to find it??

Edit- ECS live help says it's N90365302 (ES#3683). Listed for FSI only but he cross referenced the part number on the pipe. Just a heads up for anybody doing this job.
Looks like this pipe o-ring is 20x3mm, advance auto carries one (dorman) I am going to check it out tomorrow.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
MaxTDI do the TDI's have the same issue?

I was on the fence about trading in my GTI. Im on its 3rd WP in 22K miles. I just cant afford the loss right now.

One thing that does suck is VW Only provides Roadside Assistance for 3 yrs or 36k miles, even though the WP is covered for 5yrs or 60k miles. SSSOOO Does this mean I am paying for the 100+ mile tow to the nearest VW dealer if the next one fails after 36k?

If it happens to me again? I am getting an attorney and filing Lemon Law.

Jeff

Some had issues... mine is fine at 4 years 46k miles for now... But the engine is different to the waterpump is likely to be slightly different as well.

Do note that if you wanted something reliable you should likely go with a japanese car.

zrickety

The Fixer
Don't forget the torque wrench, I could see how the pump might be easily cracked. 6 ft lbs for the bolts. The 20 mm o-ring from Advance does work for the plastic pipe. Set aside more than a couple hours, this was a pain in the ass!! Half of the bolts you can't see and that belt really sucks. Everything is assembled in layers so attention to detail is a must. I could see how this might be a breeze after you've done it a few times.

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
I would like to add that I didn't use any kind of vacuum tool. I could hear air escaping as I filled and let it idle as DBEST said. I squeezed the radiator hoses for good measure. Monitored coolant temp via software and it was steady to 208 degrees. After a couple days of driving it took maybe another 1/4" from the reservoir and all is well.
I think where installs go wrong is not cleaning the mating surface on the block or over tightening the bolts.

Last edited:

Kingkong

This DIY helped me out quite a bit when I replaced my water pump a couple weeks ago. I would also like to add that I also did not use the vacuum tool to replace the coolant and have had no problems so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowgti

Passed Driver's Ed
How much coolant should I expect on my garage floor once I disconnect hoses from the pump? Or should I drain all coolant first?
Thanks

zrickety

The Fixer
It's roughly half a gallon if I recall. Keep the hose ends up and don't drain the radiator unless you want to.

CustomZ02

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty sure my pump went out, dumped all my coolant leaving my cousins house last sunday. Dealer quoted me $930 to repair, but seeing how the part is only $212 at ECS im going to attempt to save myself $700 and do this my self.

Would removing the grill and front bumper make this any easier to access the area? I don't think it would but asking cause my brother in law is a mechanic and was wanting to remove it.

Also anyone have a list of tools required, I know there's a pic but I cant tell what size anything is specifically the bit for the screws.

And one more sorry for all the questions, but is it normal for there to be oil all over the intake manifold as well? Could this have also come from the pump?

Thanks