Status
Not open for further replies.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Products Purchased From:

Address: 3705 Wilshire Lane, Waxhaw, NC 28173
Phone: 704-320-0700
Email: rjodoin@carolina.rr.com
Website and Ordering Info: http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/magneticdrainplugshome.html

Products Installed At:

Address: 164 Franklin Tpke # 1, Mahwah, NJ 07430
Phone: 201-529-1860
Email: info@eurotechms.com
Website and Ordering Info: http://www.eurotechms.com/

Background:
I’m crazy about preserving my TSI engine (shocker) especially since the addition of my higher horsepower mods. Volkswagen has their included 10,000 service intervals but I change my oil every 5,000 miles with AMSOIL European Blend. I can’t stand the thought of waiting 10,000 miles for an oil change, especially after breaking in the engine at my current 15,000 mileage. Besides the installation of my Forge Motorsport catch can and the planned use of Seafoam every 10,000 miles, I figured the only outstanding preservation upgrade would be a high powered magnetic engine drain plug.

Choices:
Now, I had bookmarked the ECS magnetic engine drain plug for the longest time but finally had the time to research a higher end option.
For $10 ECS has their anodized version with copper seal washers but the cost alone scares me. $10 for a machined plug, anodized finish, magnet, magnet glue and copper washers? I couldn’t find specs on the type of magnet or their magnetic strength when the engine was at operating temperature (magnetic property decrease with increase of heat). Another concern was what type of glue they use to make sure that magnet does not come out from the plug and circulate through my engine. Without testing it for myself, I can’t say for sure that the ECS magnetic engine drain plug will not work as well, but I recently found a thread called -“ECS Magnetic Drain Plug Problem”- where some users experienced oil leakage from the copper washer.

My Solution: Dimple® Magnetic Drain Plugs
After scouring the web for highly reviewed and trusted drain plugs, I came across -“Dimple® Magnetic Drain Plugs”-. Not only did they have amazing reviews but they also have laboratory tests to back up their claims. Soon after, I received two Dimple® Magnetic Engine Drain Plugs and two Dimple® Magnetic Transmission Drain Plugs for comparison; the M14x1.5x16 (standard length) and the M14x1.5x24 (euro long) for the engine and then the M22x1.5x14 and the M24x1.5x14 for the transmission. I received four plugs in total to make sure I had the right size and length at the time of the fluid changes. At 15,000 miles I had an oil change performed and after comparing the length of the stock engine drain plug and the new magnetic engine drain plugs, Eurotech Motorsports opted for the M14x1.5 standard length plug. See Dimple® Magnetic Engine Drain Plug Compared to OEM Engine Drain Plug photo below. All Dimple® Magnetic Drain Plugs came with aluminum (not copper) seal washers.

European Vehicle Applications:
Audi
BMW
Mini Cooper
Porsche
Volkswagen

Volkswagen Vehicle Applications:
All TSI / FSI engines should use the M14X1.5X16 (standard length) Dimple® Magnetic Engine Drain Plugs
Early to mid 2010 TSI standard 6-speed manual transmissions should use the M24X1.5X14 Dimple® Magnetic Transmission Drain Plugs
(Early to mid 2010 TSI standard 6-speed manual transmissions should have an OEM M24 black plastic plug)
Late 2010 to 2011 TSI standard 6-speed manual transmissions should use the M22X1.5X14 Dimple® Magnetic Transmission Drain Plugs
(Late 2010 to 2011 TSI standard 6-speed manual transmissions should have an OEM M22 shiny aluminum plug)
All TSI DSG Automatic Transmissions should use the M24X1.5X14 Dimple® Magnetic Transmission Drain Plugs
Please refer to the website for any other specific applications

***NOTE: Please verify your OEM plug dimensions before ordering and installing any of the options listed above. I take no responsibility for which plug you choose and install on your vehicle.***

Theory from Dimple® Products Website:
Continuous friction creates unwanted tiny metal particle contamination.
These tiny metal particles are measured in microns.
A micron is one millionth of a meter or: 25 microns =.001" / One thousand's of an inch is = to 25 microns!
All the contaminates cannot be removed by the oil filter since an oil filter can remove particles larger than 35 microns.
Dimple® Products remove the rest. If not removed, this contamination is circulated millions of times between each oil change, polishing (wearing) down the metal until the engine is worn out. There is still residue left in the engine even after an oil change, so new oil added in the engine does not mean that it is completely uncontaminated.

Specifications from Dimple® Products Website:
-“Dimple® Magnetic Drain Plugs”- are coated in Electroless Nickel (the technical name for Nickel Fusion) which provides a beautiful stainless look, provides an extremely non porous Nickel finish and has a lower coefficient of friction (turns easier, like it's lubricated).
Zinc Chromates are the real thing, not ROHS compliant and will outlast the vehicle.
Dimple® Products use extreme magnetism to rip the metal particles out of your oil and keep it out.
Dimple® magnets are made under contract to insure that they are always what we say they are, the strongest high temperature high strength magnets in the world.
Dimple® Products high temperature magnets do not loose magnetism like regular magnets do at only 175 degrees F and are rated at over 300F which means they work easily in all hot engine environments.
The characteristics of the Dimple® Products high temperature magnets makes them last a long, long time. The formula for figuring out how long the Dimple® Products high temperature magnets will last is: Our magnets degrade 1/2 of 1% every one hundred years!

Brochure Download:
-CLICK HERE to download brochure-

Laboratory Testing:
-CLICK HERE to download laboratory test results-

Brochure and Plugs:

Dimple® Magnetic Engine Drain Plug:

Dimple® Magnetic Transmission Drain Plug:

OEM Engine Drain Plug:

New Dimple® Magnetic Drain Plugs:

Dimple® Magnetic Engine Drain Plug Compared to OEM Engine Drain Plug:

Oil Change:

Bonus Protection: “Black Hole” 6 Pack of Engine Oil Filter Magnets
At the same time I took a look at the -“Black Hole” 6 Pack of Engine Oil Filter Magnets- for a second level of engine oil protection. The “Black Hole” oil filter magnets attach to the outside of the oil filter canister in a random position around the center of the oil filter body. When the oil flows through the oil filter, the magnets immediately trap any trace of ferrous metal particles out of the oil before it even has a chance to hit the filter media! This keeps the filter media clear of excessive particles. This 6 pack of magnets can be removed at every oil change and reinstalled on the new oil filter canister.

“Black Hole” 6 Pack of Engine Oil Filter Magnets:

Results:
This thread was designed to review the -“Dimple® Magnetic Drain Plugs”- from unboxing through installation. After installation I immediately noticed what felt like a 50HP increase! Totally kidding. However, I didn’t notice any leaking from this magnetic engine drain plug and the included aluminum (not copper) seal washer. At 20,000 miles I will perform another oil change then post my findings after I remove the Dimple® Magnetic Engine Drain Plug to see what the high powered magnet has collected. At the same time (beginning of spring and track season) I will have my transmission fluid flushed and will install the M22x1.5x14 Dimple® Magnetic Transmission Drain Plug. I will not be able to provide any results for the Dimple® Magnetic Transmission Drain Plug for some time but hopefully this thread stays current as people try the -“Dimple® Magnetic Drain Plugs”- as an alternative to the other cheaper versions currently out on the market.

Ordering Your -“Dimple® Magnetic Drain Plugs”-
If you enjoy my in-depth independent reviews (Google search: “HYDE16 Reviews”), please reference this review if you place an order to see if Rich can toss in a drain plug measuring tool and brochure with your order!

P

plac

so who is gonna buy this $35 drain plug, let's get some names? lol.

i also assume this is a paying vendor, because with all those banners this is a straight up advertising thread.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
so who is gonna buy this $35 drain plug, let's get some names? lol.

i also assume this is a paying vendor, because with all those banners this is a straight up advertising thread.

Really, you want to get into this again? Provide honest reviews as in-depth as mine. Or just talk about UR everwhere you see an exhaust thread. The goal we both have is to contribute to the community. I'm not paid nor do I make money off the reviews I do. You're welcome if you feel this product would benefit you, if not, stop.

Agreed. Not that much different from Hyde's review of the SB clutch, LOL.

All of the reviews are structured the same, moderators have even praised my work.

P

plac

Really, you want to get into this again? Provide honest reviews as in-depth as mine. Or just talk about UR everwhere you see an exhaust thread. The goal we both have is to contribute to the community. I'm not paid nor do I make money off the reviews I do. You're welcome if you feel this product would benefit you, if not, stop.

All of the reviews are structured the same, moderators have even praised my work.

cool, im gonna ask Ultimate Racing for some advertising banners and start putting them into my threads. oh wait.. he's a vendor that's all legal. DOH..

im sure you paid full price for all your stuff. thats the same thing i say also.. :lol:

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
No offense, Hyde, but I've been a bit skeptical about these reviews myself. I'm not knocking the quality of the writing but they are so slick (which in and of itself is NOT a bad thing but a complement) and they seem to appear overly favorable (possible due to the banners, more than anything else) toward the supplier/manufacturer that it is disconcerting.

Now...if I saw just as slick and well written a review from you which actually cast a negative light on a deservingly poor product, I would not be at all skeptical about any reviews you've posted...so far, I just haven't seen anything but glowing reviews that look like ads. Obviously, you may end up with a product that isn't up to par at some point...hopefully the review that follows is just as well produced while pointing out the negatives.

I'm not bashing you in any way, just playing a bit of devils advocate since plac is pointing this out about the way these reviews seem.

P

plac

80% of all the reviews i have ever done are probably negative in some way.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
No all valid points. To be honest they are glowing so far since I do weeks and months worth of researching and talking to the companies about what benefits and downfalls there may be. Knock on wood the products I've selected have made me extremely happy with the reasons why I wanted them in the first place. I've since sold some parts for newer ones and there are also some products that I had problems with where I didn't post reviews because they didn't stay on my car. A lot of people tell me they enjoy my posts because it gives them the at length detailed review they were looking for before they sink big money in some mods. I'm only trying to provide consistent product explanations and reviews and it seems like some can criticize days and weeks of work when I'm participating in our European car community. Very easy task to post a one sentence shot at a lengthy review when that person didn't put hours behind research, contacting others with the product, pictures, video compilations and editing, testing and documenting everything from start to finish. Those people bring nothing to our community. Be skeptical all you want. I has many reviews and will continue to post in the future. I make nothing on them and still went in depth for a $30-35 part. In this situation I saw the thread about the leaking ECS plugs and decided to discuss a product that has not yet been used in our community.

Plac as far as the logo I cut out those logos myself and hosted them. Let me apologize for providing a good looking thread which is more professional and entertaining.

Do I need to defend or explain myself anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.