GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer: I am only providing my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed and tested in my own car.

Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger:
In an effort to make clean, OEM-styled choices for subtle interior upgrades, I came across the Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger. This kit provides a USB charging port in the dead button cluster in the center console. The color, text font and installation is spot on and I believe this to be an OEM part which is even better. Double Apex does a great job providing the necessary wiring, tools and color instruction manual for a quick and flawless installation. The Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger Installation Instructions are exactly what we want to see; a full color step by step guide to disassembling the center console and making the necessary electrical connections. The step by step instructions can walk a first timer through panel removal and electrical wiring.

Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger Product Description:
The Double Apex USB Charger integrates perfectly with your Volkswagen's interior and is compatible with smart phones and any other device that can be powered through a USB port. The Charger will provide up to 3 amps of current, ensuring the fastest possible charge rate. It is compatible with any device that uses a USB cable including:

-Apple iPhones, iPads, and iPods
-Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG and Blackberry phones
-Tablets, digital cameras and MP3 players
-Even remote controlled helicopters
-Designed for your Volkswagen's interior
-Designed with overcharge protection
-Easy to install, specialty tools included
-Works with Apple devices

Apple devices require a unique charger design so generic USB chargers aren’t compatible. Many of the ones that are, including external battery packs, can only provide a ½ amp of current to your Apple device resulting in a slower charge. The Double Apex USB Charger can provide up to 1 amp to iPhones and iPods and up to 2 amps to iPads. This is the same amount of current you’d get from a wall outlet and results in the fastest possible charge.

Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger Unboxing:

Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger Installed:

Double Apex Volkswagen USB Charger Overall Results and Recommendations:
15 minute installation for an OEM USB charging solution? Easy choice in my opinion, especially when I installed this kit on my lunch break at work. Overall, the installation is super simple, the packaging job from Double Apex is very professional, the fit and finish is OEM and my iPhone 4S charges faster than my old cigarette lighter to USB adapter charging setup. Evidently, Double Apex will be releasing several more switch button options for the 3 remaining dead buttons. If you have any switches you want to see please post your feedback here.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I ran into an issue on Friday when I drove down to Summit Point. I found out my Scosche 12V USB charger wasn't providing my Nexus 4 with enough juice, and my phone nearly died on me on the way home.

This might just be the ticket for me, because I really hate cluttering my interior with clunky 12V chargers.

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Very cool. I'll keep checking their site if they will be releasing more. I've been wanting to add a garage door button from the carstyle4you site, but the price is too steep for me. With this being an entire USB setup for $60 bucks; I'd think regular ole push buttons would be cheaper still.

PetrolHead

When's the next track day
Very cool. I'll keep checking their site if they will be releasing more. I've been wanting to add a garage door button from the carstyle4you site, but the price is too steep for me. With this being an entire USB setup for $60 bucks; I'd think regular ole push buttons would be cheaper still.

Seriously. A garage door opener would be awesome.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
The great thing about this kit is that it comes with everything you need for install. It comes with the tool to remove the bolt. It comes with Velcro to mount the adapter and even posi taps for super simple installation. Awesome kit and very well put together...

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
I think I'm going to order this as well, considering I need to order a new charger anyway.

clownish

just clowning around
I've had this on my list since someone else on the forum wrote about it a few weeks ago. Great set of pictures here and good to know about the 10% discount. ;)

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Thanks for taking the time to do this review Hyde!

I just want to mention we're running a GolfMK6 forum special until the end of the week; get 10% off by entering code golfmk6 at checkout.

I agree ;)

Sorry I'm too busy to sift through your site at the moment (I will later), but do you all do the push button replacements?

dcpppf

Ready to race!
Not yet but we're working on it. We should have some options available before the end of the year.

I will expect a 10% off code then as well :thumbsup:. Just kidding; good to know it is in progress. I've been hoping more options would pop up soon. Guess I shall wait!