GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews Peloquin LSD and USP Steel Shift Forks

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
is there a particular reason there isn't a 5-6 fork? i would assume 5-6 also has the rivets in place like 1-2, 3-4.

Great question, I asked Jeff from USP that same question, IIRC he said that they don't make one for 5th and 6th, I don't really mash through 5th and 6th now that I think of it.

Nice Review, need to do this. Also need to hit lotto...

I thought you had one!

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Nice Review, need to do this. Also need to hit lotto...

Yeah, LSD is a no brainer for me too...after I fall assbackards into $2000....after I replace my clutch.....after I get a K04....LOL....and after the warranty on the transmission expires as well before I cut it open. Until then I am slumming it with the tweaks.

Nice to know there is a big noticeable difference if you can scrape together the money and go this route though.

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
Great question, I asked Jeff from USP that same question, IIRC he said that they don't make one for 5th and 6th, I don't really mash through 5th and 6th now that I think of it.

I thought you had one!

interesting. even if you don't mash through 5-6, i'm in the mindset if i'm going to replace part of it, you might as well properly replace all of it.

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Nice! only thing i would have done different is cover up those bearing before i drilled out the factory ring gear rivits. yikes.

allset

Go Kart Champion
So how much faster is the LSD versus XDS set to 2?

they are 2 very different systems so i dont think that can be answered. LSD transfers power mechanically and directly based on what each wheel is doing.
XDS is a software program that detects wheel slip and responds by reducing or increasing power to the wheels accordingly.

so for speed as u asked the LSD imo would be able to respond instantly vs. the ecu receiving inputs and sending responses. Though the ecu does it in milliseconds, the two are just too different to compare

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
interesting. even if you don't mash through 5-6, i'm in the mindset if i'm going to replace part of it, you might as well properly replace all of it.

Same, I asked USP if they made them and they said no. There was no option for upgraded 5th and 6th.

Link

Ready to race!
Curious to know how software handles the addition of LSD. Not too keen on how the software works to provide power under slipping conditions but an LSD would definitely alter this dynamic.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion
they are 2 very different systems so i dont think that can be answered. LSD transfers power mechanically and directly based on what each wheel is doing.
XDS is a software program that detects wheel slip and responds by reducing or increasing power to the wheels accordingly.

so for speed as u asked the LSD imo would be able to respond instantly vs. the ecu receiving inputs and sending responses. Though the ecu does it in milliseconds, the two are just too different to compare

Not really.... XDS applies the brakes (pulsates I believe) to the wheel with the least resistance causing power to be transfer to the opposite wheel. However the system can be easily overwhelmed, more so on a track.

What cuts the throttle to the wheels is traction control where it won't let you spin the wheels freely. If you turn off ESP it does it allow more spinning though.

You can compare them and from my experience real LSD very noticeable on the track, I couldn't really tell the difference on the street.

Curious to know how software handles the addition of LSD. Not too keen on how the software works to provide power under slipping conditions but an LSD would definitely alter this dynamic.

Handles it fine. XDS really shouldn't kick in ever again with a real LSD (maybe a bit but theoretically it shouldn't I Don't think). ESP still kicks in if you spin both tires freely.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
How noticeable is very noticeable?

Like "I gained an extra 12 mph going into turn 1 at LSD Raceway because I could put the power down so much better around the sweeper coming onto the straightaway!" or "My lap times improved by 15 minutes around the CZ Ring!"

Something that gives us an idea of what we actually get for our $1500-2000 would be awesome. Tunes have dyno charts, we get skidpad numbers for tires, friction numbers for brake pads, stiffness numbers for springs and swaybars, etc. Anyone have a number for an LSD on any car? Forget the LSD vs XDS, how about LSD vs nothing? That will at least establish a "maximum benefit level" for it.

Link

Ready to race!

Like "I gained an extra 12 mph going into turn 1 at LSD Raceway because I could put the power down so much better around the sweeper coming onto the straightaway!" or "My lap times improved by 15 minutes around the CZ Ring!"

Something that gives us an idea of what we actually get for our $1500-2000 would be awesome. Tunes have dyno charts, we get skidpad numbers for tires, friction numbers for brake pads, stiffness numbers for springs and swaybars, etc. Anyone have a number for an LSD on any car? Forget the LSD vs XDS, how about LSD vs nothing? That will at least establish a "maximum benefit level" for it.

I understand where you're coming from and unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I have gone from open differential to LSD and the difference is noticeable even at the street level.

Erwan1

Go Kart Champion

Unfortunately I can't tell you how noticeable in a lap time as I also switched to R-comps this year.....

But you can pull out of corners much earlier and faster with LSD trust me.

You'll be hard pressed to find someone who ran consistent times, put ONLY an LSD in and then ran the same track again.

Worth $2K, on the track absolutely. On the street.... meh in my opinion unless you're spinning tires and racing between lights everywhere.

Talguy

Go Kart Champion
Hyde, Just wanted your thoughts on the SS clutch line you got installed. Does it provide for a more responsive feel and stiffer pedal?