GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews Peloquin LSD and USP Steel Shift Forks

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
OK. Here's my total newb question. Why would you want to accelerate in corners? Brake in straight line, carry speed through apex, accelerate and track out.

What does a LSD buy you here?

It's more for accelerating out of the corner, rather than in.. It will have a shitload more grip, and actually powers through a corner.. rather than losing traction and understeering. LSD's are awesome

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Is the LSD maintenance free or does it require maintenance? If so, what type of intervals (ie. 30k, 60k, etc.)?

Thanks!

Only maintenance is fluid changes...

Typical car = 60-80K
Street with mods = 40K
Tracked = every season

OK. Here's my total newb question. Why would you want to accelerate in corners? Brake in straight line, carry speed through apex, accelerate and track out.

What does a LSD buy you here?

Hard starts, high speed on/off-ramp entries, tight turns, wet pavement are no longer a terrifying concern. As front wheel drivers, we negotiate turns, braking and acceleration based on the limitations of our setup. With an LSD your negotiations change for the better. Entering and exiting on/off-ramps at high speeds does not require as much braking and a driver can more confidently hold down the throttle into the turn. Originally I would brake to slow down and coast on the throttle to make it through the turn, find the straight away then hammer the throttle to accelerate. Now I find myself braking less and powering through the turn and actually accelerating at times. When accelerating and turning from a stop, the car grabs for traction no matter how tight the turn. On a hard launch (ESP off) the car claws at the road, keeping the car straight and sometimes flipping the power back and forth between both front wheels to gain the best traction until both tires are settled. The confidence increase is amazing, there is a sensation of pure control and a closer link between man and machine. As many have said, the front wheel drive GTI should have come with an LSD from the factory. If you can afford one, I highly recommend adding this to your already upgraded vehicle or adding this before you decide to go with a big turbo kit.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I very much like this write up, Hyde. considering saving up for an LSD as my next mod.

skotcoop

Ready to race!
I sure wish I could do this when they upgrade my clutch in a few weeks. Not sure I have an extra $950 plus labor to do this right now, especially around the holidays.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
hmm, had not considered shift forks as part of the job, and this adds to cost. Im at 40K miles, so.. Im guessing it would prob be smart to get forks if I was doing an LSD.

Ill have to chat with my tuner and see what they advise.

skotcoop

Ready to race!
But seriously all this money to dump into this car makes me think twice about if I bought the right car. Like why didnt I just buy a Golf R or BMW?

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
maybe cause it could cost even more to trick those out to your liking.

^^ this. but it's a fair point. looking back, if I was able to get a good deal at the time for a used R, I likely would have done that instead.. but I also wasnt planning on modding at the time of purchase, so I really have no regrets.