GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - PTP Turbo Blankets K04 Lava Turbo Blanket

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Glad to hear this worth it as i'm still quite interested in getting one (eventually). I know the IHI and K04 are comparable size-wise but has it been "confirmed" that this will work with the IHI?

How hard was the install? I know that after having installed my downpipe that there isn't much room back there to move around, and access to the exhaust manifold is tough from below. I assume that laying across the top of the motor and reaching down is the way you installed yours?

How much did it change/muffle the sound of the turbo? I can only assume that this will really quiet down all the turbo noises that we so much love to hear.

Thanks again for your review!

It has not been confirmed that this will fit the K03 but PTP offers a money back guarantee. I personally feel it will fit as they are roughly the same.

Install was simple, 1-1.5 hours max if you remove the metal heat shield plate but you will need to disconnect the oil and coolant lines so plan it around a service.

No change in the turbo noise, with the Uni intake the open air filter provides ample turbo noise.

You are welcome!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Photos after installation.

Last edited:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
FINAL UPDATE:

-The turbo blanket has been installed and heat measurements have been taken
-The low profile engine bay trim has been installed and heat measurements have been taken
-All results have been added to the bottom of my original posts on the first page
-PTP Turbo recently published a study from the University of Texas titled "Performance Improvements of Turbocharged Engines with the Use of a PTP Turbo Blanket"

http://ptpturboblankets.com/upload/UT Performance Analysis of PTP Turbo Blankets.pdf

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Awesome paper ^^.

Key points for me: faster turbine response to the throttle change with the blanket in place and a ~4% faster spool rate.

Not directly translatable to the k04 or k03 because of the size of the turbine and compressor, mass air flow rates and because that was a diesel engine. But pretty cool to see nonetheless.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE:
My PTP Turbo K03/K04 Turbo Blanket is finally installed! To provide some data behind it, I decided to measure engine bay temperatures after my morning commute to work before the turbo blanket was installed and then my next morning commute after the turbo blanket was installed (for similar early morning ambient air temperatures). For each heat cycle (both 45 minute morning commutes), the same route was taken and the car was driven as close as possible with the same load. Each heat cycle (45 minute morning commute) consisted of 5 minutes of stop and go town traffic, 30 minutes of highway cruising then 10 minutes of pushing the car through mountain roads through town. The results below are impressive; we see temperature decreases across all measurement points! Ultimately from the air filter to the throttle body pipe, all temperatures decreased so theoretically intake air temperatures should drop as well.

6/26 Morning Commute Temperature = 75 degrees
6/26 Morning Commute Temperature = 73 degrees
7/7 Morning Commute Temperature = 75 degrees
Temperature Change Adjustment = +/- 2 degrees

Intake Filter = 111.8 degrees
Intake Filter After PTP Turbo Blanket = 93.8 degrees
Temperature Reduction = 18.0 - 2 = 16.0 degrees
Intake Filter After Low Profile Engine Bay Liner = 87.4 degrees
Temperature Reduction = 6.4 + 2 = 8.4 degrees
TOTAL TEMPERATURE REDUCTION = 24.4 degrees

Intake Pipe = 150.7 degrees
Intake Pipe After PTP Turbo Blanket = 134.9 degrees
Temperature Reduction = 15.8 - 2 = 13.2 degrees
Intake Pipe After Low Profile Engine Bay Liner = 132.2 degrees
Temperature Reduction = 3.3 + 2 = 5.3 degrees
TOTAL TEMPERATURE REDUCTION = 18.5 degrees

Turbo Inlet = 140.2 degrees
Turbo Inlet After PTP Turbo Blanket = 119.8
Temperature Reduction = 20.4 - 2 = 18.4 degrees
Turbo Inlet After Low Profile Engine Bay Liner = 123.0 degrees
Temperature Increase = -3.2 reduction + 2 = 1.2 degrees
TOTAL TEMPERATURE REDUCTION = 17.2 degrees

Throttle Body Pipe = 168.9 degrees
Throttle Body Pipe After PTP Turbo Blanket = 152.8 degrees
Temperature Reduction = 16.1 - 2 = 14.1 degrees
Throttle Body Pipe After Low Profile Engine Bay Liner = 152.1 degrees
Temperature Reduction = 0.7 + 2 = 2.7 degrees
TOTAL TEMPERATURE REDUCTION = 16.8 degrees

PCV Plate = 199.8 degrees
PCV Plate After PTP Turbo Blanket = 192.9 degrees
Temperature Reduction = 6.9 - 2 = 4.9 degrees
PCV Plate After Low Profile Engine Bay Liner = 178.4 degrees
Temperature Reduction = 14.5 + 2 = 16.5 degrees
TOTAL TEMPERATURE REDUCTION = 21.4 degrees

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
Bump.

I just had it installed on an IHI Turbo. Turbo blanket is definitely made more for K03/K04 turbos. Fit wasn't perfect. The shop that installed it made it work one way or another.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Bump.

I just had it installed on an IHI Turbo. Turbo blanket is definitely made more for K03/K04 turbos. Fit wasn't perfect. The shop that installed it made it work one way or another.

Too bad about the fitment. How about performance, do you feel a difference?

butchered by autocorrecr

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Bump.

Did you shop take photos? PTP should see this feedback to make modifications for the IHI turbo.

Another update, I just had my downpipe wrapped in PTP's Lava Exhaust Wrap.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie

i like it. another cheap-ish mod i could do just cuz im so bored all the time. i can't honestly believe any real world benefits though..

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that looks really good. Interesting how the low profile trim makes some surprisingly drastic temperature reduction, but only in some areas. Like the PCV plate! dang..

I have the modshack trim piece. always was a believer in it, because i live in south FL, and i'll run the car hard in 98* heat, come home, turn it off. Never once had a fan kick on after the car was off. I love small mods like this. If i ever pull my turbo for something else, i'll def get this blanket and i'll probably wrap my DP for the heck of it. I have my TB pipe wrapped... should've done my TOP too...

tampa_mk5

zungguzungguguzungguzeng

Did you wrap the flex part? I have DEI wrap sitting in my garage, but had spoken to someone with DEI about it. They said the flex part could be wrapped loosely. The guy told me to wrap the flanged part all the way to the beginning of the flex tightly, then band it. Wrap from the bottom of the flex to the end of the length an up-pipe prior to the flex. Then wrap the flex looser (not too loose) with the ends overlapping the first pieces and band it.

He said the flex pipe doesn't move nearly as much as people think and that leaving it loose would still allow it to move within it's needs. Not as good as a solid pipe wrapped, but better than just leaving the flex bare. Curious to see your take on it or if you had heard anything either way.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I don't see the point of exhaust wrapping from an engineering standpoint. Manifold I can see, since the thermodynamic process of spinning the turbine, cooling the air and increasing air density depends on the heat of the air before the turbine. But the turbine operates more efficiently the greater the pressure drop across it so the cooler it is beyond the turbine wheel the better (to a point, considering the turbine efficiency map). Especially for catted pipes that increase the backpressure against the turbine outlet. Also, once turbine process is completed, we want cooler air travelling down the pipe so that it's less dense, travelling slower and therefore with less wall resistance.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I don't see the point of exhaust wrapping from an engineering standpoint. Manifold I can see, since the thermodynamic process of spinning the turbine, cooling the air and increasing air density depends on the heat of the air before the turbine. But the turbine operates more efficiently the greater the pressure drop across it so the cooler it is beyond the turbine wheel the better (to a point, considering the turbine efficiency map). Especially for catted pipes that increase the backpressure against the turbine outlet. Also, once turbine process is completed, we want cooler air travelling down the pipe so that it's less dense, travelling slower and therefore with less wall resistance.

This is the response I received from PTP Turbo:

"Hi, What you’ve said regarding wanting to keep the pressure differential across the turbine maximized is absolutely correct. An important thing to remember is that we do not recommend wrapping the exhaust downstream of the turbocharger.(unless needed to prevent heat damage to components, etc.) With the turbo blanket and wrap installed, the exhaust temperature upstream of the turbine is maintained greatly elevated to what it would otherwise be. The greater the exhaust temperature, the more expansive it is (per unit mass), and thus, the more upstream pressure/velocity for a given engine speed. Because the piping downstream of the turbine is not wrapped, it cools very rapidly.(actually at an elevated rate because of a greater temperature differential with respect to the surrounding ambient air) As you pointed out, the key factor is the pressure drop across the turbine. This pressure drop is largely affected by the relative temperatures (upstream of the turbine vs downstream). Keeping the upstream exhaust hot is very important. As you pointed out, the downstream exhaust will be somewhat hotter than normal directly after exiting the turbo. The important point is that the upstream exhaust is much, much hotter than it would be without the turbo blanket/wrap. This results in a much greater temperature differential (upstream vs. downstream) and thus, a much greater pressure differential than would otherwise be experienced at a given engine speed. As verified and discussed in the UT report, this equates to faster spool-up and greater torque for a given engine speed. (all other things being equal)"