GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - ST Coilover Kit

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Thoughts on how the ST's compare to the HPA SHS's?

My friend and I still have not swapped cars to see how the valving differences feel.

Doubt that affects anything. Just weight is the only factor I would guess. Might not be a bad idea.

Weight affects springs but not sure about struts, although I would assume they are transferable.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Sounds like it will be much more stiffer!

For ages (since MKV days) the Bilstein damper has indeed been stiff.

BUT... times changed. The MK6 was released and Bilstein revalved the damper to be exactly what it needed to be.

ECS, for example, only offers the MK6 Bilstein dampers for both MKV and MK6 applications. THEY ARE THAT GOOD.

My favorite for road and track is still the Koni Sport (yellow) only because you can tune the rebound damping... but the Bilstein is a set-it and forget-it jack of all trades. If you have to choose one... Bilstein is the answer for most.

Welcome back Matt! :clap:

Anything this man says is gospel, he is the foremost suspension master.

Why thanks breh! :drinking: Good to be back!

Smudester

Ready to race!
i dont remember if i already asked this but i live in PA aka shitty roads, would i want to get coils with nicer dampeners or should the STs that im looking at be okay? im not trying to slam my car i just want to get rid of the wheelgap and be able to tweak the height for winter etc. im thinking 24.5 in the front 25 in the back (ftg). no matter what ill prolly get my fenders rolled and do the screw mod. does anyone have experience with the STs on less than stellar roads?

Sent From Tapatalk

Smudester

Ready to race!
Right here, northern NJ roads are pretty brutal and I sit at 25" FTG all around.

sweeettt i was getting scared with people saying that the adjustable dampeners were needed for shitty roads, but with all the good things ive heard about the STs i just dont wanna shell out the extra 400+ for something i wouldnt feel comfortable messing with. plus, a lil bit harsher ride wont bother me. Do you ever get any rubbing? i love driving around curvy backroads pretty quick and i just wanna make sure that i wont be rubbing around every hard corner, how much stiffer does the suspension feel vs stock?

edit: sorry for all the questions still a newbie

Sent From Tapatalk

Brunkel

Go Kart Champion
Anyone with the ST's experiencing an uneven ride height from side to side (especially in the rear)? I have about 1/4" of threads showing in the back (set collars perfectly by laying them side by side and matching) yet have a decent ftg level from drivers side to passenger side. Drivers side is lower. I'm all the way down in the front and running about 24.5 ftg pretty even side to side. Not sure what's up with the rear though. Could it be a slight variation in the springs?

Smudester

Ready to race!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Anyone with the ST's experiencing an uneven ride height from side to side (especially in the rear)? I have about 1/4" of threads showing in the back (set collars perfectly by laying them side by side and matching) yet have a decent ftg level from drivers side to passenger side. Drivers side is lower. I'm all the way down in the front and running about 24.5 ftg pretty even side to side. Not sure what's up with the rear though. Could it be a slight variation in the springs?

I had this issue with my ST coils but on the front. I ended up getting a replacement spring sent to me under warranty after A LOT of struggle. It took forever to convince a tech that the only thing that would require me to adjust up 9 threads progressively over 6 months to keep my ride height is a sagging spring.

Ended up selling my STs, and that experience soured me pretty good. I understand the threads not being perfectly matching side to side for a lot of reasons, but when it changes over 20k miles I consider that a defect.