GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer: I am only providing my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed in my own car.

For a while now I have been compiling a list of proper suspension upgrades for an awesome daily driver which can also function as an occasional track car. I’m personally looking for the “awesome daily driver”, striking a fine balance between a baby daycare shuttle during the week, spirited mountain warrior on the weekends and then an occasional HPDE Green Group track car. I'm trying to increase some stiffness, correct or improve suspension geometry, improve traction, and realize better overall response from driver input while limiting NVH, rattles and feeling beat up from long drives. After rounding off power/braking/cosmetic upgrades, I left suspension upgrades for the end. First I wanted to test sway bars (H&R 26mm front / 22mm rear already installed) then suspension bushings (this review) for added traction and less body roll. The final component will be either a matched spring & strut combo or full coilover kit for stance & stiffer cornering (future review).

Before upgrading any suspension aspect, I went as far as posting standalone threads devoted to these suspension upgrade options. For my own build I needed to layout all options and label them either “awesome daily driver” (low NVH, safe for the average driver) or “track car” (possibly higher NVH, stiffer, for experienced drivers). These threads were also to pay homage to the heavy hitters such as Simmsled, The Bruce, Bostonaudi, Junker, ViRtUaLheretic, GodSquadMandrake, Tyrol Mike, LePatron and others that have tested these components and provided feedback for the community.

GolfMK6 - Suspension Options for an Awesome Daily Driver or Track Car
Vortex - Suspension Options for an Awesome Daily Driver or Track Car

Options For Suspension Stiffening:
The list goes on and on with sway bars, strut mounts, subframe mounts, subframe collar kits, front control arm bushings, rear control arm bushings, front control arm bushings, ALK or anti-lift kits, end links, sway bar support brackets, sway bar bracket bushings, spindles, control arms, ball joints, bump steer kits, chassis braces, dogbones, etc. I wanted to focus on sway bars (installed), subframe mount (installed), subframe collar kit (installed) and ultimately control arms, lower control arm front bushings and lower control arm rear bushings with ALK or anti-lift kit options (this review).

Options For Lower Control Arms:
For the MK6 GTI, the only control arm options I came across were the SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit or the OEM Audi TT/S3 aluminum control arms. Originally, the MK5 GTI crowd had experimented with the OEM Audi TT/S3 aluminum control arms which when compared to the heavier MK5 GTI control arms provide an unsprung weight savings of 4lbs per control arm, higher roll center, stiffer solid OEM rubber bushings, wider track and adjustable front camber. Between the SuperPro and OEM Audi TT/S3 options, I believe the weight savings is negligible when compared to the lighter MK6 GTI OEM stamped control arms. These control arm options provide an unsprung weight savings of roughly 1lb per control arm when compared to the MK6 GTI OEM stamped control arms. What I do like about these control arm options is that they offer a more solid, stiffer and rounded construction when compared to the MK6 GTI OEM stamped control arms. The smoother finish may also lead to less drag. I chose the SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit after reading some threads which discussed how the OEM Audi TT/S3 aluminum control arms may not work with certain big brake kits, most likely due to the included OEM adjustable ball joints. The SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit also includes their SuperPro “Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket” / ALK (anti-lift kit) and lower control arm front bushing.

Options For Lower Control Arm Rear Bushings:
I came across three main options on the market today, the OEM Audi TT Lower-Inner Rear bushings (rubber), the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK) (polyurethane blend) and the SuperPro Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket / ALK (anti-lift kit) with bushing (polyurethane blend). The OEM Audi TT bushings are solid cab rubber bushing replacements which can be pressed into the OEM housings and can firm up the front end response without changing caster. The Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK) is a full, all-in-one housing replacement with upgraded bushing and provides 0.5 degree static positive caster to both front wheels through changes to the housing design and mounting points. The SuperPro Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket / ALK (anti-lift kit) is another full, all-in-one housing replacement with upgraded bushing which provides 0.5 degree static positive caster to both front wheels through the offset hole design (not in the center of the bushing like OEM or Whiteline) while the housing design and mounting points remain factory spec.

Choosing Lower Control Arm Rear Bushings:
Originally, I read some feedback on the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK) and the concern around the deterioration of the inner bushing after track use (see Steelcurtain’s example). After thoroughly comparing positive and negative feedback I drew the conclusion that the AWD MK5 R32 owners seemed to have the most inner bushing deterioration when compared to FWD MK6 GTI owners. When I had the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK) installed, I was diligent with continually checking the condition of the inner and outer bushings for any signs of deterioration. After about 5,000 street miles on the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK), there were no signs of deterioration on the inner or outer bushings but then again that was not a long enough test and did not include any track abuse. The differences between the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK) and the SuperPro Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket / ALK (anti-lift kit) lie in the way they provide 0.5 degree static positive caster, their respective polyurethane blend and the grease retention designs. When compared to the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK), the SuperPro Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket / ALK (anti-lift kit) has a stiffer polyurethane blend with no additional NVH or road harshness IMO and has a stainless steel collar over the inner bushing leading me to believe it’s less likely to show signs of deterioration. This review will focus on the SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit which consists of the SuperPro “Supaloy Light Weight Control Arm”, the SuperPro “Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket” / ALK (anti-lift kit) and SuperPro lower control arm front bushing.

SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit Description:
Featuring the new "Grip Dynamics" system which improves grip for better handling and performance outcomes by focusing on key alignment and dynamic handling elements. Supaloy arm replaces stock steel VAG arm found on over 90% of all Audi, SEAT, Skoda and VW. Also replaces alloy Audi S3 arm.
-Superior Supaloy Light Weight Control Arms
-Lower unsprung weight
-Corrosion resistant Supaloy
-Smart Bushing and Mount Design
-Special low friction stainless steel insert / metal tube
-Bushing bonded direct to high-stress alloy bracket
-Superior Control and Long Service Life
-Polyurethane bushings (front and rear)
-Knurled bore for superior grease retention
-Up to 1.5 Deg extra dynamic positive caster (when paired with SuperPro Roll Center Adjusting Ball Joint Kit)
-Supertrac Anti-lift geometry for more traction

SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit Video:

SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit Unboxing:
Between the heavyweight cardboard box, zip ties to secure parts from moving and the dense foam, SuperPro is another company that shows respect to their customers by spending the extra money for proper packing. There’s no doubt that when unboxing this kit, the parts are impressive. It could be the attractive, shiny new parts but once you pick them up you feel like your swinging plastic parts around. The difference is, these seem tough as hell. There have been a few people on the forums posting about how impressed they were with the quality of these control arms, once you have them in front of you, you’ll feel the same way. One preventative step I took was to apply 22ple VM1 Signature Rim and Metal Coat from Detailer’s Domain. I have found that this hardening sealant works extremely well to protect anodized or metal surfaces. I applied the 22ple VM1 Signature Rim and Metal Coat to the control arms and control arm rear bracket for the ultimate protection. Application is easy, wear latex gloves, put a few drops on a lint-free makeup pad, wipe over the surfaces, allow to dry for 10 minutes, wipe off excess with clean microfiber cloth, buff with another clean microfiber cloth, allow to dry/set/harden for 12-24 hours and toss the microfiber cloths away (they will harden after 12-24 hours and are useless).

SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit Installation:
Installation is very straight forward but I would definitely recommend installing on a lift if you have suspension experience, proper tools and torque specs otherwise have a shop perform the install for safety reasons. I’ll explain why later under the Overall Results and Recommendations section below. At the same time I had opt for the SuperPro Roll Center Adjusting Ball Joint Kit which is supposed to allow for front camber adjustment, improve roll center geometry on a lowered vehicle and improve mid-corner stability. When the SuperPro Roll Center Adjusting Ball Joint Kit is combined with the SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit, the overall setup would provide up to -1.5 degree of camber per side. On a track this would translate to more front end grip, better turn-in response, and correct roll-center alignment. Unfortunately at the time of installation, the SuperPro Roll Center Adjusting Ball Joint Kit would not fit due to the size of my Stoptech ST-40 rotors. That is not to say that the SuperPro Roll Center Adjusting Ball Joint Kit will not work with other big brake kits, but I can state that they will not fit with a Stoptech ST-40 big brake kit. When installing the SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit, the OEM ball joints and hardware were re-used. I DO NOT recommend re-using the OEM ball joints and hardware when installing or replacing your control arms. I’ll explain why later under the Overall Results and Recommendations section below.

TyrolSport DeadSet Front Subframe Collar Kit:
At the time this kit was installed I had the TyrolSport DeadSet Front Subframe (WALK Gen 2) Collar Kit installed on the car which will work with the SuperPro “Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket” / ALK (anti-lift kit) housing. The SuperPro housing can accept any of the TyrolSport DeadSet Front Subframe Collar Kit options (OEM housing vs. WALK Gen 1 housing vs. WALK Gen 2 housing) but the OEM housing option should be ordered if you don’t have a kit already.

Alignment:
An alignment is definitely required with this level of front end suspension work. With the TyrolSport DeadSet Front & Rear Subframe Collar Kit, the only front alignment adjustment needed after installing the SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit was toe.

Overall Results and Recommendations:
I was unable to feel any difference after my Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK) was removed and the SuperPro “Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket” / ALK (anti-lift kit) was installed. Even with the stiffer SuperPro polyurethane bushings, the caster remained the same and therefore I could not realize any better response. After rolling off the lift, I drove around the parking lot to test for NVH and any feedback. The car felt smooth as usual with no increase in NVH and no noticeable effects. When I got on the highway I barreled through some on ramps, U-turns and windy roads to get a feel for the changes from input to response. The steering wheel response felt the same when compared to the Whiteline Anti Lift Kit (WALK), but when compared to OEM, improved significantly making the front end feeling much more nimble, similar to when you switch to lighter wheels. Also, throughout the turns the steering wheel feels positively heavier when compared to OEM, which I prefer.

After the stand alone installation and testing of the SuperPro “Control Arm Lower Rear Arm Bracket” / ALK (anti-lift kit), I was back in the shop for the SuperPro Performance Control Arms. After installation and testing I didn’t notice any increase in NVH. With the stronger control arms and the new polyurethane lower control arm front bushing, the car feels great. I’ve tested this kit through pothole-infested daily driving and weekend bashings through the mountains. With 19” wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and the other upgrades listed above I can honestly state that NVH and road harshness is minimal to none. Overall the full SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit is high quality and produces great results for any MK5 or MK6 GTI.

As explained above, I would definitely recommend installing on a lift if you have suspension experience, proper tools and torque specs otherwise have a shop perform the install for safety reasons. Again, I DO NOT recommend re-using the OEM ball joints and hardware when installing or replacing your control arms. I would recommend sourcing new OEM ball joints and hardware for a complete and safe installation before you push your car to its enhanced limits to enjoy the benefits of the SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit.

Unfortunately at the time of installation, the SuperPro Roll Center Adjusting Ball Joint Kit would not fit due to the size of my Stoptech ST-40 rotors. When installing the SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit, the OEM ball joints and hardware were re-used. Several days later the re-sued ball joint bolts sheared off when I was turning into a parking spot, the control arm dropped and I had to be flat bedded to my dealership up the road. While some may say the bolts were over-tightened during install, I also feel that these are a one-time use item. Luckily this happened in a parking lot and not on the road. The results could have been catastrophic, please learn from my mistake.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
PS can you verify if the bolts for the anti lift bushings are the same on both sides?

(2 bolts closer to subframe are same as the bolt closer to the wheel?)

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
damn, I was really hoping to read your impression on the balljoints.
Im tired of this bumpsteer BS and want to fix it.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
So pretty much no difference in handling vs the WALK?

I could not tell a difference although the SuperPro front bushings in the control arms feel great. I am happier with the overall feedback on the SuperPro inner bushing with the steel casing. I haven't yet seen anyone discuss deterioration with the SuperPro inner bushing but then again my WALK kit did not hae any issues for the short term testing I did.

allset

Go Kart Champion
on the up side... new super pro ball joints for sale!

CobraKing

Ready to race!
My man HYDE - great review, good to hear that you are safe but sorry about the car.

Do you think that the bolts at the ball joint became the 'weakest link' due to the poly bushings on the SupaLoy arm?

With the SupaLoy ball joint being adjustable, what's the likelihood of it shifting over time and needing to be tightened/re-aligned?

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
Hey Hyde, Awesome review man. I was always considering ether the white line alk or super pro but didn't know if I wanted the NVH the poly bushings would give. Again thanks I might just pick up a set. Also pm me on those ball joints might be interested in purchasing them.

ViRtUaLheretic

╭∩╮(︶__︶&#6
Would you happen to have a before and after picture of how your control arms looked?
Im wondering how much of an improvement the control arms themselves have in correcting the angle of a lowered car's control arms.
Also what is your current ride height like?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I have the ball joints and StopTech BBK. Pretty sure everything is fine.

Did you install the ball joints on top of the control arm or on the bottom of the control arm? They are to be installed on the top of the control arm.

My man HYDE - great review, good to hear that you are safe but sorry about the car.

Do you think that the bolts at the ball joint became the 'weakest link' due to the poly bushings on the SupaLoy arm?

With the SupaLoy ball joint being adjustable, what's the likelihood of it shifting over time and needing to be tightened/re-aligned?

Thank you. The OEM ball joint bolts failed because we reused them and may have overtightened them. The SuperPro control arms / poly will not affect them at all if properly torqued. I can't speak to the bolts shifting over time, I would assume that when properly torqued (requires factory spec), that they will stay in place but only testing can verify. The bolts do come with washers.

Would you happen to have a before and after picture of how your control arms looked?
Im wondering how much of an improvement the control arms themselves have in correcting the angle of a lowered car's control arms.
Also what is your current ride height like?

I don't have those photos. The control arms will provide a more solid and rounded control arm, will save 1-2 lbs per side and will provide the front poly bushing. My current ride height is whatever Driver Gear springs give us.

Hey Hyde, Awesome review man. I was always considering ether the white line alk or super pro but didn't know if I wanted the NVH the poly bushings would give. Again thanks I might just pick up a set. Also pm me on those ball joints might be interested in purchasing them.

There is minimal NVH with this, engine mounts will give you more NVH. Go for it. :w00t:

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Nice review bro glad to see you ditched the Whiteline crap.

Virtualheretic,

The SuperPro alloy arms themselves don't change the geometry...it's the ALK bushings and ball joints that give the change in geometry. Another option is TT/Passat alloy uprights to give better roll center. If it was me I would save the money on the alloy LCA and get the ball joints and/or the alloy uprights.