GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Rear Subframe Collar Kit

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer:
In NO WAY am I trying to advertise this company or product. I do not list full hyperlinks to the product for advertisement or to direct sales, only my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed in my own car.

After installing my TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit, I was all over their latest TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid REAR Subframe Collar Kit. Redline Speed Worx installed this kit for me while I was in for other upgrades (additional reviews will be up shortly) but this can be done with the rear tires on ramps, on a lift or with jackstands. Basically, remove one bolt at a time, use a long screwdriver to pry the subframe end away from the chassis, slip the top collar in, install the bottom collar and re-tighten the bolts.

Subframe Integrity:
So the dreaded “subframe clunk” and “steering click” was 100% resolved for me with the TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit. Now it was time to firm up the rear subframe to see if the rear suspension would react more efficiently. With the car on a lift, I attempted to shift the subframe or see how much flex the chunky rubber bushings had. I could only slightly move the rear subframe around leading me to believe there is some flex in the subframe while driving but nowhere near as much as the front. After installing the rear subframe collar kit, there was no play at all while on the lift.

TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid FRONT Subframe Collar Kit Description:
Since this rear subframe collar kit is a brand new product, I did not have a product description to share with everyone. I happen to know that the collars are machined out of 954 Billet Bronze Alloy for the ultimate in strength and corrosion resistance. I expect that this rear subframe collar kit will work with the same application list from the front subframe kit as well (MK5 Rabbit/Jetta/GTI/GLI/R32, MK6 Golf/Jetta/GTI/GLI/Golf R, MK5 Audi A3, MK2 Audi TT/TTS/TTRS, B6 Passat/CC). Please see the unboxing section below for more description on what’s included in the kit.

TyrolSport Product Development:
As per my TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit review, I’ll reiterate some facts about TyrolSport’s product development. Greg Trillo, the product development manager, develops their products using parts made in the USA, CAD engineering, 3D printing and in house testing. They have recently released their revised TyrolSport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit (with grease retention caps) for VW/Audi OEM factory braking systems and now their TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Rear Subframe Collar Kit to compliment their front subframe collar kit.

TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Rear Subframe Collar Kit Unboxing:
Unlike the front subframe kit where there are two kits available (choice of two ARP 8740 hot black oxide bolts or two ARP stainless steel bolts), there is only one rear subframe kit which comes with four 954 grade billet bronze alloy collar assemblies for use at the top and bottom of the rear subframe mounting holes, OEM bolts are to be re-used or replaced. In total, the kit includes top and bottom collars for the four rear subframe bolt locations. I chose to purchase 4 all new OEM subframe bolts (Volkswagen / Audi part number N 910 964 01) as I did with the front subframe kit. I found two sources that said to tighten the rear subframe bolts to 82 ft/lbs of torque or 90nm (66 ft/lbs) + 1/4 turn.

Rear Subframe Diagram (credit to KefferVWParts):

Assembly:

Location 1:

Location 2:

Location 3:

Location 4:

Overall Results and Recommendations:
To be completely honest I still have my winter tires on and can’t take my Northern, NJ on/off-ramps at high speeds. Within the next week or two I’m swapping to my new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and will circle back to give more feedback. A part of me feels that this kit, expected to sell for half the price of the front subframe collar kit, completes my subframe and chassis upgrades. With the front subframe kit I could instantly tell a difference in how the front springs and struts reacted more efficiently. With the rear, I expect that the springs and struts will react more efficiently as well. As stated above, I could only slightly move the rear subframe around leading me to believe there is some flex in the subframe while driving but nowhere near as much as the front. After installing the rear subframe collar kit, there was no play at all while on the lift. I look forward to other reviews as well (Grambles).

Overall TyrolSport is a great shop, super friendly and clean. Not only are they a typical performance shop but they also put a lot of time and energy into research and product development to improve our cars in some big ways. I enjoyed the fact that their R&D came from racing their own shop cars on weekends when they are not at the shop. Thanks to Redline Speed Worx for a flawless install and for allowing me to share this install with our community.

CobraKing

Ready to race!
HYDE, thanks for the solid review. How complex is the install though? Would you need access to a lift or can it be done in the home garage on stands?

Btw, what's your thoughts on the ECS Clutch Bleeder block? Did you ever get one?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
HYDE, thanks for the solid review. How complex is the install though? Would you need access to a lift or can it be done in the home garage on stands?

Btw, what's your thoughts on the ECS Clutch Bleeder block? Did you ever get one?

Thank you, this can be done with the rear tires on ramps, on a lift or with jackstands. Basically, remove one bolt at a time, use a long screwdriver to pry the subframe end away from the chassis, slip the top collar in, install the bottom collar and re-tighten the bolts. A lift would be easiest though. I would even go so far as to say have a shop install this kit, I can't see it being more than an hour of labor.

I have the ECS bleeder block but need to find time at Redline Speed Worx to install and bleed the system correctly. I will not follow the ECS online install guide and bleeding instructions. I want to bleed the system correctly with a machine.

Danz5k1

Ready to race!
I have rear subframe kit, but not by Tyrol. They do make a difference. Just like the front it makes the suspension feels solid. I cannot be sure why that is the case, except by going with the Rigid collar explanation video that there is always slacks in subframe when they're moving about, and causes spring effect.

I can tell the rear suspension absorbing better too, and it isn't placebo effect as the roads here are quite or really bad, and going over bad pavement with the rear subframe collar fitted definitely is more comfortable than without - especially when using stiffer shock/spring.

It makes the car feels brand new.

And also, perhaps because of the solid feel (not as in hard ride, but the suspension just feels strong and together, instead of loose and weak) of the suspension there is more feel of what is going on as you corner. It is no secret VW Golf is a very compliant car; good for commuting but not so good for people like me who likes to feel and know how the car is doing by the feel on steering, seats and chassis.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I have rear subframe kit, but not by Tyrol. They do make a difference. Just like the front it makes the suspension feels solid. I cannot be sure why that is the case, except by going with the Rigid collar explanation video that there is always slacks in subframe when they're moving about, and causes spring effect.

I can tell the rear suspension absorbing better too, and it isn't placebo effect as the roads here are quite or really bad, and going over bad pavement with the rear subframe collar fitted definitely is more comfortable than without - especially when using stiffer shock/spring.

It makes the car feels brand new.

And also, perhaps because of the solid feel (not as in hard ride, but the suspension just feels strong and together, instead of loose and weak) of the suspension there is more feel of what is going on as you corner. It is no secret VW Golf is a very compliant car; good for commuting but not so good for people like me who likes to feel and know how the car is doing by the feel on steering, seats and chassis.

Nice! I can't wait to get my summer tires on and get these soft balloon winter tires off. I can't even run the car hard enough to notice a difference at this point. 1 or 2 weeks and I'll be back on here with my review of how the rear ends up.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
I don't understand what the flat nut head collar does... I can see that the collar that goes between the frame and the subframe centres the placement of the bolt, but the part next to the bolts head just seems to act as a washer... No centring...

Please explain.

Danz5k1

Ready to race!
Nice! I can't wait to get my summer tires on and get these soft balloon winter tires off. I can't even run the car hard enough to notice a difference at this point. 1 or 2 weeks and I'll be back on here with my review of how the rear ends up.

You'll like it if you can appreciates what the Tyrol collar did for the front.

To me is all about alignment; dead center subframe and not moving about, keeping the wheel alignment straight and true. The Tyrol collar kit (or other, but I can tell you the Tyrol is the better one than what I have for the rear, but more on that some other time) keeps everything in check.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
hyde16, i cant find the rear subframe kit on tyrolsports site...have a link?

Should be up this week, for now you can call to order I think. I kept in touch with Tyrol after the front subframe kit installation. From there I asked for one of the first rear subframe kits. I would call Mike on the phone tomorrow to order.

Mike@TyrolSport

Ready to race!
I don't understand what the flat nut head collar does... I can see that the collar that goes between the frame and the subframe centres the placement of the bolt, but the part next to the bolts head just seems to act as a washer... No centring...

Please explain.

You are correct, it acts as a washer. All of the centering is done by the top collar in this instance. We made the top collar deeper so that it would take up the "slack" and the bottom collar would only help the bolt head sit flush to the subframe. The subframe at the bolt head location is not perfectly flat. The Bronze Alloy allows it to better conform to the surface for better fastening. :thumbsup:

Mike@TyrolSport

Ready to race!
Hello Everyone,

Our apologies on the slow response in getting a link up on the site to purchase this product. :scared0016: Our webmaster is on vacation, so it will be another week or so. In the meantime, you can email us (info@tyrolsport.com) for ordering. Thanks again for your interest and patience. :thumbsup:

Dr. Dub

Yeah, the Original Collars made by Spoon seem like a better design but they're more coin...