GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 - The Pag Parts EFR Turbo Kit

firsttimebuyer

Ready to race!
This is incrediable, i mean talk about a monster of a car here. lol I cant wait to see some final figures on this set-up.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Really exciting stuff man! Glad to see such hustle; workmanship and passion in this project. Its just positive for the whole community.

I have a few questions:

I know youre in the breakin period on the clutch and waiting on injectors but are you running 15lbs wastegate pressure in all gears right now? If so how does it feel in 1st/2nd?

On the tranny failure piece. What seems to be the big failure? Gears sheering or failure of the input shaft/output shaft? I am just asking because if I go in and drop and LSD i might just swap those out if they are the likely culprits. (maybe a taller 6th gear too).

And you know I have to ask:

What are your plans on grip? RE-11s for a daily I get that. I know you were talking boost by gear as well. Are you doing what U20 did a while back when FWD and drop stiff-ass springs in the rear? Can we expect a new fabricated piece in the future? This kit is super interesting to me but if i cannot at least retain all of 2nd im not sure ill get off the k04

Sorry for being all over the place. Love the build and will be waiting intensely for updates!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Really exciting stuff man! Glad to see such hustle; workmanship and passion in this project. Its just positive for the whole community.

I have a few questions:

I know youre in the breakin period on the clutch and waiting on injectors but are you running 15lbs wastegate pressure in all gears right now? If so how does it feel in 1st/2nd?

*correction, waiting on the one port injector, not changing OEM injectors for now. Yes, every gear is limited to 15psi as there is no preload or real control during the break in, it's just boosting until the wastegate opens manually due to pressure. Honestly, it feels great in 1st and 2nd gear.

From a drivability standpoint, big turbo owners are absolutely right: a big turbo car is much easier to drive. When I picked up the car and drove home from Long Island City, NY to northern New Jersey, the first thing I noticed was the smoothness of the engine and turbo. So far, the car is much more predictable, calm and consistent with linear power delivery while daily driving. So far, no more inconsistent predictability of a stock or K04 turbo. All in all, gas mileage is high so far, the car feels consistent, 0 error codes, no timing pull or misfires with this Eurodyne base file.

On the tranny failure piece. What seems to be the big failure? Gears sheering or failure of the input shaft/output shaft? I am just asking because if I go in and drop and LSD i might just swap those out if they are the likely culprits. (maybe a taller 6th gear too).

When researching other big turbo builds, I read feedback about manual GTI transmissions failing due to the combination of added torque and the GTI specific shorter gear ratios. Since I prefer the GTI’s shorter gear ratios over the Beetle or GLI transmissions, I decided to test the Darkside Developments 02M / 02Q Gearbox 4th Gear Input Shaft Support with Gearbox Reinforcement Plate (and the final 6th Steel Shift Fork at the same time) to see if the GTI transmission will hold before having to move over to a longer gear ratio Beetle transmission. To date, I haven’t found anyone who has tried these braces to keep the GTI gears from shearing but it seems pretty straightforward with a brass support resting against the input shaft to stop the parting of the two 4th gears. As per the product description, the preload of the support is adjustable and should be checked periodically. I’ve asked Danny from Darkside Developments what the service interval is on the brass support which makes contact with the input shaft and he said it depends on the application. On race / drag cars, they typically check for any movement of the brass support shaft after every race. On a road car with these power levels, they recommended checking for any movement of the brass support shaft every month or 1,000 miles. Darkside Developments checked for movement on their road car after 1,000 miles and they found no movement. For more information on installation, please see the discussion on the Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2.

What are your plans on grip? RE-11s for a daily I get that. I know you were talking boost by gear as well. Are you doing what U20 did a while back when FWD and drop stiff-ass springs in the rear? Can we expect a new fabricated piece in the future? This kit is super interesting to me but if i cannot at least retain all of 2nd im not sure ill get off the k04

Correct, I'll look to pickup stiffer rear springs (actually from U-20T). From there I'll use the Greddy Profec boost controller to fine tune boost start and gain to try to manage traction with my 225/40 tires but I"m assuming I will need to go wider at some point. Aside from that I trust in the following traction adding Drivetrain Components:

034Motorsport Street Density Engine Mount / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
034Motorsport Street Density Transmission Mount / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
Driveshaft Shop 6-Speed Manual 500HP Level 2.9 Direct Bolt-In Axles
ECS Tuning MK6 GTI 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
Peloquin’s Limited Slip Differential / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
Racingline (formerly VWR) Subframe Mount
ST Suspensions XTA Coilover Kit / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
SuperPro Performance Control Arm Kit / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit / Click Here for my HYDE16 review
Unibrace UB
Vibra-Technics VAG455B Torque Link (Dogbone) Bushing

Sorry for being all over the place. Love the build and will be waiting intensely for updates!

No problem and thank you!

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Question: Any plans to upgrade the HPFP? From what I recall it's been an issue on the APR Stage 3+ builds

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Question: Any plans to upgrade the HPFP? From what I recall it's been an issue on the APR Stage 3+ builds

At this point, with the Torqbyte CM5-LT and PM3 plus Audi TTRS LPFP and 5th injector, there should not be a concern over the HPFP but we will surely pay close attention to rail pressure during tuning. If needed, we can look into the larger Opel injectors to replace the OEM GTI primaries.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
LOBA is working on upgraded HPFP pump solution for North America engines .Bob G

For TFIS I believe Bob. Arnold and I had a discussion about this at length and there is a loooong discussion on my K04 FB group page where somone from overseas was able to upgrade it on a ROW TSI but not for NA TSI. Arnold also thinks he may have found an option to upgrade the TSI HPFP. Super prelim but the first to really design something.

Mostic

Go Kart Champion
Excellent writing as usual Ryan [emoji106]
I wish you the best and to complete the project as well as you want and plan.

What is Opel Injectors? First time to hear about it, is it for TSI only or also there is something for TFSI?
I am looking for upgraded injectors more than RS4 but an OEM fit!

I am building my second TFSI monster too and definitely I am referring to your threads [emoji6]

-------
Philosophy Of Eagles:
- Eagles flies only with eagles!
- To reach the top you must fly with the Top!

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Excellent writing as usual Ryan [emoji106]
I wish you the best and to complete the project as well as you want and plan.

What is Opel Injectors? First time to hear about it, is it for TSI only or also there is something for TFSI?
I am looking for upgraded injectors more than RS4 but an OEM fit!

I am building my second TFSI monster too and definitely I am referring to your threads [emoji6]

Thank you, here are the Opel injectors: http://zzperformance.com/ecotec/opel-hp-direct-injection-fuel-injectors.html

ErBall

Measurement Mogul
LOBA is working on upgraded HPFP pump solution for North America engines .Bob G

For TFIS I believe Bob. Arnold and I had a discussion about this at length and there is a loooong discussion on my K04 FB group page where somone from overseas was able to upgrade it on a ROW TSI but not for NA TSI. Arnold also thinks he may have found an option to upgrade the TSI HPFP. Super prelim but the first to really design something.

I definitely don't want to get excited about something like this unless it actually happens. Would love to be able to make the near 500whp FSI guys can make with just gas.