GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 - The Pag Parts EFR Turbo Kit

Lupin

Ready to race!
wow... Good for you, but why spend so much money and time on a wrong wheel drive car?

My opinion: (please feel free to criticise)
Every car has a limit to what it can do in terms of modifications. Some car has a really good engine/platform that allows it to stretch further than other cars. Mitsu Evo and Subaru STIs are a couple of great examples of manufacturer buliding a fantastic car that is able to handle so much more than stock. The GTI has a fantastic platform and engine, which makes it a popular cars among enthusiast. I understand the whole aftermarket scene for GTIs, but I feel that stage 2 + is beyond the capability and design of the car. Every modification you add on requires additional modifications to support your previous change For example: if you lower your car, you need to get adjustable endlinks to unloaded the swaybar. In most cases the aftermarket world is able to support enthusaists and their modifications. There is however a big limiting factor in the GTI that aftermarket companies are not able to help, it is a FWD car. Even at stage 2 the car is having trouble keeping traction, K04 and beyond is just a highway straight line racer. The aerodynamics of the car is also very critical here especially when you push the car to accelerate and operate at such high speeds. I understand the dynamics of adding bushings and mounts to gain traction back, but that not only ruins the ride, it also put stress on other components of the car. Money is clearly not an issue for you, so why not get a E46 M3/ S2000/ 240sx/STI/EVO/supra/S5 ? The few cars that I've mentioned here has a greater potential than a fwd hatchback and some of them will be cheaper than all your mods combine. And if you are looking for a straight line racer, you can even consider a mustang. I've driven a car with LSD and it does "cure" the FWD issue, but it only puts it on par with RWD cars and that is just physics. If you are seeking to be different for the sake of being different then there is nothing much more to discuss. Anywyas, just my opinion, not trying to offend anyone, just trying to understand and discuss the aftermarket relm of the GTIs. I love my tuned GTI and it is a lot of fun, but after comparing it to other cars on the track, it make no sense to me. I know a lot of people "build" street racers for highway drag races, while the GTI is capable of doing such, I do not believe you are one of those Hyde. I hope people can keep it "civil" as I would love to have adult conversations about the other end of the argument.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
wow... Good for you, but why spend so much money and time on a wrong wheel drive car?

I tend to agree with this. But its not our build. I like the idea that Hyde is pinoeering a new turbo; trans options and will be taking a good look at maintaining traction with this much power. Disproving people who are so set in their mentaility about these cars.

I'm all for seeing how far this can be taken.

Also k04 can absolutely maintain traction in any application... Not just pulls

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
What are your plans on grip? RE-11s for a daily I get that. I know you were talking boost by gear as well. Are you doing what U20 did a while back when FWD and drop stiff-ass springs in the rear? Can we expect a new fabricated piece in the future? This kit is super interesting to me but if i cannot at least retain all of 2nd im not sure ill get off the k04

You will never, ever retain all of second gear traction on a big turbo FWD car. Some? Sure. Usable? Definitely. Floor it is second and get full traction on a 400whp+ FWD car? Never. You just have to pick your battles. It's totally manageable and much more than it is with the K04.

it is a FWD car. Even at stage 2 the car is having trouble keeping traction, K04 and beyond is just a highway straight line racer. The aerodynamics of the car is also very critical here especially when you push the car to accelerate and operate at such high speeds. I understand the dynamics of adding bushings and mounts to gain traction back, but that not only ruins the ride, it also put stress on other components of the car. Money is clearly not an issue for you, so why not get a E46 M3/ S2000/ 240sx/STI/EVO/supra/S5 ? The few cars that I've mentioned here has a greater potential than a fwd hatchback and some of them will be cheaper than all your mods combine. And if you are looking for a straight line racer, you can even consider a mustang. I've driven a car with LSD and it does "cure" the FWD issue, but it only puts it on par with RWD cars and that is just physics.

I get what you're saying, and granted most of us would probably have loved to start with a RWD platform. But, it's really not that bad. I've out launched GT500's in stop light drag races on street tires. I've cut 1.8 60's on Hoosiers. It's totally manageable. And even better, it's in a car that still has every day comfort and convenience. Mine is driven every single day, and so will Hydes.

Will this be our last and only project car? I know it won't for me. But it's a fun comfortable daily that destroys most everything I come in contact with.

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Your build is incredible!
I wonder how much you spend parts, labor, and so on? I thought you could buy sport Kar.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Subscribed and followed on IG recently. Excited to see the car come together! I'm living vicariously through your seemingly bottomless wallet hahaha

My unwanted 2 pennies about building a FWD car with this much power, it's about loving a chassis and having a goal for a build. Sometimes that means re-engineering the wheel to deal with the shortcomings of that chassis. If no one ever wanted to overcome shortcomings of a platform, or have the consideration for usability/comfort we'd all be driving gutted Evos, STis or at best single turbo 335 BMWs.

Huzzah and kudos to those who push it...and push it real good.

Lupin

Ready to race!
You will never, ever retain all of second gear traction on a big turbo FWD car. Some? Sure. Usable? Definitely. Floor it is second and get full traction on a 400whp+ FWD car? Never. You just have to pick your battles. It's totally manageable and much more than it is with the K04.

I get what you're saying, and granted most of us would probably have loved to start with a RWD platform. But, it's really not that bad. I've out launched GT500's in stop light drag races on street tires. I've cut 1.8 60's on Hoosiers. It's totally manageable. And even better, it's in a car that still has every day comfort and convenience. Mine is driven every single day, and so will Hydes.

Will this be our last and only project car? I know it won't for me. But it's a fun comfortable daily that destroys most everything I come in contact with.

Well thats the thing. You can't drive around on Hoosiers. I know people are able to do make a drivable fast launching fantastic FWD car, but at what cost? (and I mean mentally, comfortably and financially) You mentioned a comfortable daily driver, I do not believe that the GTI is able to keep much traction without anti lift kits/ coils/ bushings/mounts, and all of those will reduce the comfort of the car significantly. Most of them are also not easily installed parts where one can choose to install only on track days. What Hyde doing is great, exploring into the unknown, and I am sure we are all exciting to see it especially its not our money that hes putting into it. I am just thinking of it from the owner's perspective.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie

When you say manageable do you .want in regards to traction? Or driveability? Or both.

Traction in 2nd is no issue for me on K04. It took alot of work to get it there...Honestly the use of that gear is a determining factor in whether or not to go BT... It's why I'm following along with great interest.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Well thats the thing. You can't drive around on Hoosiers. I know people are able to do make a drivable fast launching fantastic FWD car, but at what cost? (and I mean mentally, comfortably and financially) What Hyde doing is great, exploring into the unknown, and I am sure we are all exciting to see it especially its not our money that hes putting into it. I am just thinking of it from the owner's perspective.

Stop trying to save a car guy from himself haha. Logically you could be right but who builds a car up to any degree with only logic driving him? Hyde clearly has a passion to over-engineer and he's going to be just fine not heeding any warning. :thumbsup:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

The aerodynamics of the car is also very critical here especially when you push the car to accelerate and operate at such high speeds. I understand the dynamics of adding bushings and mounts to gain traction back, but that not only ruins the ride, it also put stress on other components of the car. Money is clearly not an issue for you, so why not get a E46 M3/ S2000/ 240sx/STI/EVO/supra/S5?

You raise some great points and I definitely agree with you. How about if I answer with: "I'm nuts" ha. Seriously I've grown to build this project and have elevated it through several levels or tiers. Now it's all out, to experiment with the latest and highest quality turbo system. My boost control selection will allow me to switch from a ~400HP daily driver boost MAP to an insane +500HP all out boost MAP for straight line acceleration. Money is an issue (at times) but this build has been spread out over a few months and I have prepared for it even before then. I guess I've had so much history with this car I'm not ready to abandon it for a more expensive car or outside of the German realm.

I tend to agree with this. But its not our build. I like the idea that Hyde is pinoeering a new turbo; trans options and will be taking a good look at maintaining traction with this much power. Disproving people who are so set in their mentaility about these cars.

I'm all for seeing how far this can be taken.

That's what I'm attempting, we never continue to grow if we stop learning. I want to see what this car can do with a built engine, build trans, custom fueling and this 7163 turbo.

And even better, it's in a car that still has every day comfort and convenience. Mine is driven every single day, and so will Hydes.

^ this all day long, I want to destroy cars and have them be like WTF, was that a @#$%#$% Volkswagen? Yes it was, now go spend another $75,000-$150,000 on another car.

Your build is incredible!
I wonder how much you spend parts, labor, and so on? I thought you could buy sport Kar.

Please, I don't want to think about it. This has been a long time coming and saving. I consider this my sports car, remember I daily drive it with two baby seats in the back, and yes, I will have video at some point of my kids' reactions.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
When you say manageable do you .want in regards to traction? Or driveability? Or both.

Traction in 2nd is no issue for me on K04. It took alot of work to get it there...Honestly the use of that gear is a determining factor in whether or not to go BT... It's why I'm following along with great interest.

Manageable as in, it spins and bounces off the limiter and I use my right foot to control it before I flat shift it into third and hope the trans doesn't come apart and it stops spinning. LOL. So yes, manageable both ways.

With that being said, the forward momentum, even while spinning, is still damn aggressive. And this is coming from a guy that had a K04 and in the summer when the tires were sticky combined with the LSD I barely had wheelspin in first.

Sanderzzz

Go Kart Champion
Everything you've done is so far over my head and I absolutely love it. If you don't mind me asking, how much would you guess this entire setup has run you?

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Manageable as in, it spins and bounces off the limiter and I use my right foot to control it before I flat shift it into third and hope the trans doesn't come apart and it stops spinning. LOL. So yes, manageable both ways.

With that being said, the forward momentum, even while spinning, is still damn aggressive. And this is coming from a guy that had a K04 and in the summer when the tires were sticky combined with the LSD I barely had wheelspin in first.

Yea summer is money. I guess I don't want to compromise that part. Really I need to ride with some of you BT guys. Lol

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I'm living vicariously through your seemingly bottomless wallet hahaha

Huzzah and kudos to those who push it...and push it real good.

Oh I hit the bottom, and went below the bottom, put holes in my wallet trying to reach for pennies on the ground. Thank you, I will push this to the limit after having it built.

What Hyde doing is great, exploring into the unknown, and I am sure we are all exciting to see it especially its not our money that hes putting into it. I am just thinking of it from the owner's perspective.

Thank you, keep in mind though this is representative of a FULL out build with fueling and trans work for +500HP. This kit (either turbo) can easily be bolted on a stock engine with stock fueling and run a 22-23psi file for sub-400HP power, still ~70HP more than a K04.

Stop trying to save a car guy from himself haha. Logically you could be right but who builds a car up to any degree with only logic driving him? Hyde clearly has a passion to over-engineer and he's going to be just fine not heeding any warning. :thumbsup:

No saving me, I'm am, and will remain, absolutely lost in this project. I'm glad you see my passion for my first VW and at that, my first turbo.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Everything you've done is so far over my head and I absolutely love it. If you don't mind me asking, how much would you guess this entire setup has run you?

Thank you, when all said and done we will be at 5 figures.

Really I need to ride with some of you BT guys. Lol

Let's get that gofundme account to get my car out to your Canyon run in SoCal! I'll let you even drive it!

Lupin

Ready to race!
Have you tought about a AWD swap? I mean... you might as well.

Anyways, questions answered, now back to the side line and cheer this project on. And please post videos of your kids reaction. (safely of coures) We have restrictions for kids' age and height at themed parks but never a restriction on how fast a car is able to achieve with kids inside. The kids might passed out with that sort of acceleration.