GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I am considering tracking my car in the near future...looking for suggestions/tweaks

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Good advice.

Make sure your fluids are fresh and topped up, maintenance is up to date, and all your consumables (tires, pads, rotors, etc) are in excellent shape as a bare minimum. In other words, make sure your car is safe.

The killer for NON-PP front brakes is cooling (due to both lack of thermal mass and ventilation). The brake cooling ducts from the Audi RS3 are cheap, easy to install, and make a marked difference. Going out in a stock configuration, I'd consider them. Upgrading your brake fluid would also be something to consider. Pads and other upgrades are definitely worth investing in as soon as possible, but if you drive within the limits of your setup, they can wait.

Something else to note - learn proper threshold braking. If you're not familiar with the concept, just search for it online. I'm sure there are plenty of articles that can explain it to you in depth. Having been tracking cars for over 15 years I can say with 100% confidence that improper braking techniques are the #1 killer of brakes. You need to be on the brakes hard, get your braking done before you begin to turn into a corner, and for the shortest amount of time possible in order to safely slow the car down.

Many beginner/novice drivers tend to brake way too early and for far too long putting completely unnecessary strain and heat into the braking system. This dramatically reduces their effectiveness and their ability to properly cool between applications. Learn the proper braking points at your track. Not only will your brakes last longer and perform better, you'll also be quicker than your friends. Win-win.

Enjoy!

The killer for non-PP cars without a LSD is xds. I'd disable it until you get a LSD.

Deflectors are a good idea, but they'll be no match for xds with no LSD.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
The only 2 changes with OBDEleven that could be beneficial would be allowing the ESC (electronic stability control) to be turned fully off which should minimize any attempt for the ABS to intervene when you are in aggressive situations and to do the same for the XDS (cross-differential system) which will utilize the ABS to act as a faux-limited slip diff. At least worth playing with.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
And this is all relative. I had the chance to do a track day at Daytona right after I bought the 2019. With just a RSB, everything else completely stock, including the pads, fluid, and tires. I ran high 2:20's and had zero pad fade. Obviously, I wasn't pushing the car, but I wasn't put-puting around either, I was running the kind of pace I would on a mountain road.

If you aren't trying to set track record or wanting to push it, pads, decent tires, and fluid will be fine.

Once you start pushing though, you'll quickly find the limits of a mild setup like that though.

Then it's time for real brakes, camber, alignment, sticky tires, cooling mods, etc...

You seem experienced, so if you start getting some softness in the brake pedal, the tires start to get greasy, or temps get out of hand, you can just back off some. It's not rocket science.
I have reasonable expectations, and not looking to beat any records, lol. I'm also not willing to make the car a full on track car either. I don't want to damage it, nor do I want to spend all that money on a front wheel drive platform since it doesn't match my driving style at all. At this point, I'm thinking tires, rotors, brake pads, and brake fluid and that's it. It is what it is, just looking for a day on the track just for fun. Of course that may change if in the future I meet people with the same car, but more track ready, and I become envious, lol.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Good advice.

Make sure your fluids are fresh and topped up, maintenance is up to date, and all your consumables (tires, pads, rotors, etc) are in excellent shape as a bare minimum. In other words, make sure your car is safe.

The killer for NON-PP front brakes is cooling (due to both lack of thermal mass and ventilation). The brake cooling ducts from the Audi RS3 are cheap, easy to install, and make a marked difference. Going out in a stock configuration, I'd consider them. Upgrading your brake fluid would also be something to consider. Pads and other upgrades are definitely worth investing in as soon as possible, but if you drive within the limits of your setup, they can wait.

Something else to note - learn proper threshold braking. If you're not familiar with the concept, just search for it online. I'm sure there are plenty of articles that can explain it to you in depth. Having been tracking cars for over 15 years I can say with 100% confidence that improper braking techniques are the #1 killer of brakes. You need to be on the brakes hard, get your braking done before you begin to turn into a corner, and for the shortest amount of time possible in order to safely slow the car down.

Many beginner/novice drivers tend to brake way too early and for far too long putting completely unnecessary strain and heat into the braking system. This dramatically reduces their effectiveness and their ability to properly cool between applications. Learn the proper braking points at your track. Not only will your brakes last longer and perform better, you'll also be quicker than your friends. Win-win.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the info! Can you give me a link to the RS3 brake ducts? I will want to do that as well. As far as braking goes, I'm experienced with technique, I have been on tracks for many years (~25+), racing cars and bikes pre- ABS and Stability control, traction control, etc. so if you didn't know threshold braking, you would be dead in no time. I also instructed pursuit driving for 6 years. In other words, I'll have to dummy myself down, to match the car for the way it's set up. But that's ok, I'm older now, and have nothing to prove. When I was younger, I ALWAYS wanted to win! LOL
I definitely plan on putting good brake fluid in, and performance brake pads and rotors, as well as a nice sticky set of tires. Now I'm also adding the RS3 ducts to my list. I'm trying to keep the car streetable and comfortable, but want to have fun on the track every now and again, so I have to find that balance.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The killer for non-PP cars without a LSD is xds. I'd disable it until you get a LSD.

Deflectors are a good idea, but they'll be no match for xds with no LSD.
Please explain this to me, I have not done enough research on it. I know that the Differential on my car is much inferior to the PP cars, I'm upset about that, and it definitely will kill my lap times on a tight track, but how do I fix it?
Where can I get a good LSD, how much is it, do you have links to what I need? What is the deflector? I've been on the forum for a while, but don't remember anyone mentioning it.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The only 2 changes with OBDEleven that could be beneficial would be allowing the ESC (electronic stability control) to be turned fully off which should minimize any attempt for the ABS to intervene when you are in aggressive situations and to do the same for the XDS (cross-differential system) which will utilize the ABS to act as a faux-limited slip diff. At least worth playing with.
I didn't look at the menu for it, what is the best setting for the XDS?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Please explain this to me, I have not done enough research on it. I know that the Differential on my car is much inferior to the PP cars, I'm upset about that, and it definitely will kill my lap times on a tight track, but how do I fix it?
Where can I get a good LSD, how much is it, do you have links to what I need? What is the deflector? I've been on the forum for a while, but don't remember anyone mentioning it.

You have an open diff. Your car uses the brakes to limit wheel spin of the unloaded wheel. That creates a lot of extra brake heat. I melted my center cap on the front wheels of my 2018 S after 6 laps at FIRM.

If you add a LSD or have a car with VAQ, the brakes aren't the only thing limiting that wheel spin of the unloaded wheel.

Turn off xds on track until you get a LSD. You'll need VCDS or OBD11.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Wavetrac is probably the most popular. I don't what model car you have but the link is below.

http://www.wavetrac.net/application.htm

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I didn't look at the menu for it, what is the best setting for the XDS?

Off, until you get a LSD.

On a VAQ car or if you add a LSD, leave it on the default.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
You have an open diff. Your car uses the brakes to limit wheel spin of the unloaded wheel. That creates a lot of extra brake heat. I melted my center cap on the front wheels of my 2018 S after 6 laps at FIRM.

If you add a LSD or have a car with VAQ, the brakes aren't the only thing limiting that wheel spin of the unloaded wheel.

Turn off xds on track until you get a LSD. You'll need VCDS or OBD11.
Sorry I didn’t explain myself properly. I know how the differential works, I didn’t know about the replacement, and getting an LSD and installing it. That’s the info I needed.
Thanks for emphasizing the importance of turning the XDS off. I would have thought that it would just kill my lap time, I would’ve never imagined that it would heat everything up so much that it would melt the center caps. That’s very good to know.

Last edited:

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks for all the replies! This is all great info for me.
I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I start to make the changes to the car. Also, I’m 100% positive that after I drive it on the track, I will be focusing on the weaknesses, and asking how to fix them. My new car should be here by October, so it will probably be in November, or next spring.

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
If this is your first track day, don't get caught up too much in preparing the car. Make sure it passes an honest tech inspection and go with it exactly as it is; all season tires, street pads, open differential, whatever. What you want to get out of your first track day or three, with an instructor in the passenger seat, is learning track etiquette, lines, braking and turning points, and how to be as consistent as possible lap after lap. At your first track day you're not going to be spending a lot of time really beating on your car so you don't need competition grade parts on it.

After your first couple of track days then open your wallet when it's clear to you what you need to push it a little bit harder.

Also, maybe XDS is different on the mk7, but on my mk6 it's amazing and even with the extra heat generated with the track pads I use I haven't melted anything by standing on the brakes from 120 to 50 mph every couple of minutes.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If this is your first track day, don't get caught up too much in preparing the car. Make sure it passes an honest tech inspection and go with it exactly as it is; all season tires, street pads, open differential, whatever. What you want to get out of your first track day or three, with an instructor in the passenger seat, is learning track etiquette, lines, braking and turning points, and how to be as consistent as possible lap after lap. At your first track day you're not going to be spending a lot of time really beating on your car so you don't need competition grade parts on it.

After your first couple of track days then open your wallet when it's clear to you what you need to push it a little bit harder.

Also, maybe XDS is different on the mk7, but on my mk6 it's amazing and even with the extra heat generated with the track pads I use I haven't melted anything by standing on the brakes from 120 to 50 mph every couple of minutes.

What tire are you tracking with?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I definitely plan on putting good brake fluid in, and performance brake pads and rotors, as well as a nice sticky set of tires. Now I'm also adding the RS3 ducts to my list. I'm trying to keep the car streetable and comfortable, but want to have fun on the track every now and again, so I have to find that balance.

Again, please don’t dump money into the non PP brakes.

Just do the RS3 ducts and fluid, get a feel for the car and go from there. Money spend on your current brakes will go a lot further on literally any other set up.