GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I might need a carbon build up clean, what do you guys think?

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I did my first de-carb at about 78k miles and I never had any CELs or codes. Valves were pretty gunked up and afterward I definitely felt more power, especially down low. I would do it and replace the PCV valve with the latest OEM revision or consider running a catch can.

As someone else said, its pretty easy to get a cheap borescope that connects to your phone and check the top of the valves through the spark plug hole or by taking the intake air temp sensor out (one bolt). This is located on the front of the intake manifold just after the throttle body.
Wish I could say... would be surprised if they didn't. Give them a call when they open. Ask if the use chemicals or media blaster. I think folks on here will tell you both produce good results.

JJYL13

Passed Driver's Ed
2011 GTI currently at 86k, never had misfires or CEL problems, but I am thinking about getting my timing chain tensioner updated before it inevitably fails and giving my intake valves its first carbon cleaning (walnut blasting) done while at it. Was quoted $1500 for labor on replacing the timing chain & tensioner, and $920 for the carbon cleaning (walnut blasting). Are these quotes about what everyone is paying? Quote was from a well known Audi/VW indie located in Torrance (Los Angeles)

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
2011 GTI currently at 86k, never had misfires or CEL problems, but I am thinking about getting my timing chain tensioner updated before it inevitably fails and giving my intake valves its first carbon cleaning (walnut blasting) done while at it. Was quoted $1500 for labor on replacing the timing chain & tensioner, and $920 for the carbon cleaning (walnut blasting). Are these quotes about what everyone is paying? Located in Torrance (Los Angeles)
dealer or indie? I'm presuming dealer

zrickety

The Fixer
That carbon cleaning cost is OUTRAGEOUS.

PghDan

Ready to race!
Driving a 2012 GTI. Started noticing rough idle, car shakes a bit sometimes when im in neutral, and sometimes third gear the car starts to jerk almost as if its about to stall when I press the accelerator. The clutch feels fine though, its stock and it doesn't feel stiff, but sometimes it is hard to put it in gear. There are no error lights being shown.
But what do you guys think.

It has just over 128000 Km

OP, I had a similar issue a few months ago where suddenly one day on my way to work in the morning my GTI would sputter badly and almost stall when I tried accelerating. Then did stall several times, and I barely made it into the parking lot where I work.

It turned out to be an ignition coil that was failing.

Once I replaced the coil my car was back to normal. Of course me being me, I replaced the coil with one from a nearby parts store, then ordered four new R8 coils as soon as I got home so that I could replace them all.