GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need a turbo set-up!

JimmyGTI24

So recently been having issues with my stock turbo, and im lookin into upgrading!

Im willing to spend a reasonable amount to have a proper setup.

I own an 2011 GTI. ALL STOCK.
Automatic trans w/ Dsg.
Im in need of a complete set-up i can order and take for installation..

I am in Canada so if the site is canadian thats much better to avoid duties!

I appreciate any info and knowledge, thanks guy!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Any major tuners K04 kit. Direct bolt on, nothing truly needed besides a downpipe and the ecu flash, reasonably priced.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Any major tuners K04 kit. Direct bolt on, nothing truly needed besides a downpipe and the ecu flash, reasonably priced.
A proper K04 is least expensive and in my opinion most reliable way to go.
HPA Motorsports is in Canada and can sell you everything you need.

I have done this to my MKV which is a bit more expensive because it requires upgraded fuel pump and injectors where your car would not but plan for the following costs. US dollars listed below in just general costs.

K04 kit - turbo and basic install hardware - 1500
K04 tune - 800
Larger intercooler - 750-1000 (oem intercooler is a choke point for the K04 and better cooling will help you get best performance out of your K04)
3in full turbo-back exhaust recommended 900-1200 (You could just do a 3in downpipe but best performance with full 3in system)
Upgraded Intake - 300 (again need one that is better flowing than oem)
Hi Flow turbo discharge pipe - 190 (the oem pipe is smashed to fit, not enough flow for K04 fine for stock turbo)
Hi Flow air charge pipe - 190 (the oem pipe is smashed to fit, not enough flow for K04 fine for stock turbo)
New spark plugs - 50

This is what you need to take full advantage of the K04.
About 5000 in parts plus labor in US dollars

It really transforms the car as you would expect. Folks often underestimate the cost though.

JimmyGTI24

I have done this to my MKV which is a bit more expensive because it requires upgraded fuel pump and injectors where your car would not but plan for the following costs. US dollars listed below in just general costs.

K04 tune - 800
Larger intercooler - 750-1000 (oem intercooler is a choke point for the K04 and better cooling will help you get best performance out of your K04)
3in full turbo-back exhaust recommended 900-1200 (You could just do a 3in downpipe but best performance with full 3in system)
Hi Flow turbo discharge pipe - 190 (the oem pipe is smashed to fit, not enough flow for K04 fine for stock turbo)
Hi Flow air charge pipe - 190 (the oem pipe is smashed to fit, not enough flow for K04 fine for stock turbo)
New spark plugs - 50

It really transforms the car as you would expect. Folks often underestimate the cost though.
What am i missing here? I dont quite understand ECU, will the tuner/dyno program my ecu? Fill me in more boys! Love the knowledge!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210825-180123_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210825-180123_Samsung Internet.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20210825-180241_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210825-180241_Samsung Internet.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 50

JimmyGTI24

What am i missing here? I dont quite understand ECU, will the tuner/dyno program my ecu? Fill me in more boys! Love the knowledge!

K04 tune - 800
New spark plugs - 50

I am probably going to do borla cat back(even though im going catless)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Tunes for a K04 are plentiful and you can just buy them. They get uploaded to your car through the ODBII port under the dash on drivers side. Originally you had to go to an aftermarket dealer of the tune you were buying and have them upload it. Took about 20 min or so. Now many of the sellers also sell upload devices so you can upload the tune yourself from home. They email you the tune. You connect the device to your laptop via USB and copy over the file (tune) they sent you. Then take device out to car and upload the new tune to the car via the ODBII port. Done.

HPA tune - 699
HPA upload device - 150

JimmyGTI24

Tunes for a K04 are plentiful and you can just buy them. They get uploaded to your car through the ODBII port under the dash on drivers side. Originally you had to go to an aftermarket dealer of the tune you were buying and have them upload it. Took about 20 min or so. Now many of the sellers also sell upload devices so you can upload the tune yourself from home. They email you the tune. You connect the device to your laptop via USB and copy over the file (tune) they sent you. Then take device out to car and upload the new tune to the car via the ODBII port. Done.

HPA tune - 699
HPA upload device - 150
I was told i need a Cobb accessport V3, and then the shop does the tune to my car for me? Or am i mistaken?

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Shops offer different tuner companies. The most common are APR, Unitronic, United Motorsport, and GIAC. These are OTS (Off The Shelf) tuners, locked ECU programming for all cars. There's going to be a multitude of people who've had successes/failures with whomever. With the Cobb Accessport, you'll be able to tune from home via any tuners supported by that Acessport: Cobb, Sneekytuned, or Stratified. Imo, if you want a custom tune (a tune tailored to your car and all the hardware it has), then get the Accessport and a DSG tune. If you want the "set it and forget it", find local shops near you and get one of the four previously mentioned tuners. If you want "set it and forget it but do it from home", go with Integrated Engineering.

As said previously, you need hardware to make the most out of your tunes.

JimmyGTI24

Shops offer different tuner companies. The most common are APR, Unitronic, United Motorsport, and GIAC. These are OTS (Off The Shelf) tuners, locked ECU programming for all cars. There's going to be a multitude of people who've had successes/failures with whomever. With the Cobb Accessport, you'll be able to tune from home via any tuners supported by that Acessport: Cobb, Sneekytuned, or Stratified. Imo, if you want a custom tune (a tune tailored to your car and all the hardware it has), then get the Accessport and a DSG tune. If you want the "set it and forget it", find local shops near you and get one of the four previously mentioned tuners. If you want "set it and forget it but do it from home", go with Integrated Engineering.

Im buying the COBB, so from there im taking it to Touge Tuning and getting them to tune it for me, unless im missong something here.. im kinda new to alot of this.

JimmyGTI24

Getting a DSG tune most likely too,

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Getting a DSG tune most likely too,
I would go with APR, if I were you, as they have a feature to reduce the time it takes to pull away from a stop -- something my car suffers from currently.
Im buying the COBB, so from there im taking it to Touge Tuning and getting them to tune it for me, unless im missong something here.. im kinda new to alot of this.
If they tune via the Accessport, opt for Stratified Flash Tunes. Don't get a COBB OTS tune. They aren't that good.

Admk2

Just another thing.. I know a lot of people bash Ebay parts but there is actually good intercoolers you can get for way less that 800 to 1000 dollar range.. closer to 200 to 300 range for a bigger IC that replaces stock location. There is other options but they tend to cost less because fitment isn't perfect and you need some custom fabrication to make things fit. I don't care what anyone says about ebay ICs.. they work well for money and not much gained from using super expensive IC..

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Must be in Canadian fun bucks because CTS k04s go for $1500 brand new all day in the great United States of America