GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I need some help deciding

reezy017

Hi, everybody, I have some general questions. I just got a 2012 golf this year and I was wanting to put some mods onto it is this the right place? If so I'm not sure what to do first. I've thought about an exhaust but when I looked at it and seen most exhausts cost around like 600-800$ the sound from these is not really what I'm looking for like it's not really beefy enough. I have been thinking about just cutting the exhaust off because it does sound pretty nice without it and I would save some cash. Would I lose power if I cut it off or would I just lose like mpg? I'm also thinking about wheels because I just have some hubcaps but I'm not really sure which ones might be the best option for the money or if I should just move on to something else. I also wanted to add some power to the car but like not cheap power I would like some reliable power but not completely ruin the fact that it's a daily driver. I've been thinking like a cold air intake with like a tune or something or would that just like not really add much power? Any ideas? I know I'm new here so just respond when you get the chance.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Stage 1 tune completely changes the car and adds a lot of power nothing required. Great place to start with a first mod. Air intake and exhaust sound cool but dont really give you a lot of power. Downpipe and Stage 2 is great also you dont even need a catback exhaust for it either downpipe only is the minimum needed.

*oops disregard didn't realize you only said Golf not GTI.

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Yea its a 2012 5 cylinder manual so I'm pretty sure its a 2.5 but i might be wrong

There is a section just for the 2.5. Anything related to tune/exhaust is not going to give as much gain as it would on a GTI. If you're under a budget then maybe consider cheaper options or just plan and do piece by piece. I definitely would not recommend cutting the exhaust off, might be an option to have a muffler shop modify it instead of doing a $600 cat back. Also, there are a million wheels you could run. Maybe a takeoff GTI setup with tires for cheap, or insert Konig/Enkei/vmr/etc, 17/18's, offsets, widths, tires, suspension drop, all the choices.

https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/inde...lf-2-5l-and-want-to-mod-it-click-here.246957/

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Those 2.5 do sound pretty nice. I think a nice catback and maybe some coilovers or a decent shock/spring setup and some sway bars would make a nice daily.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
5 cyl 2.5 l engine is one of the very best motors VW has ever built. Not because it is fast but because it is reliable. They also sound great.

I recommend an intake and an exhaust for engine mods (will sound great). Besides that, maybe sway bar upgrade.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
I definitely would not recommend cutting the exhaust off, might be an option to have a muffler shop modify it instead of doing a $600 cat back.

I highly recommend this. I actually had a fully modular exhaust fabricated for the GTI at a local shop with a Borla resonator/straight through for not much money. I had them basically replace the factory resonator with the Borla, then did a custom center mount exit removing the rear suitcase muffler completely and the whole thing was joined with 3-bolt flanges. I had plans to get a straight through pipe fabricated for the center so I could swap it when at the track. I tried to offer my idea up to several parts companies but no one was interested. Then a few months later SPM comes out with a modular system using clamps. LOL

Anyway, that project was only a couple hundred bucks for the fabrication, way cheaper than expensive catbacks. Unless you're buying mandrel bent, titanium pipes with flaps dropping $1000 on some exhaust pipes and a muffler is silly.

If you want loud...............

Not sure the exact sound a 5-cyl non-turbo would make, and unless you changed the DP that would still muffle some noise. But if you just want a nice sound you can easily get something built locally for not much money.