GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you had 50-70K

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
My boss has a 2010 Audi R8 V-10 with the shitty single clutch lambo auto-manual (I drove it a few times, it's scary bad), a 2010 Escalade (x-tra long version) and a 2011 CTS-V.

A friend of his is packing it up and going back to Asia, selling his 2010 Panamera S with less than 39K miles, and the purchase price is low 50K (prior to nego).

A pic is attached. It has the adjustable suspension, but my boss finds even comfort setting to be "sporty". He wants a car with a similar reputation(?) for sportiness, but more comfortable - he already has fast hard cars - and is asking advice about what else he can consider for a daily beater (lol) for about that money.

Any thoughts would be appreciated (no MKIV R32s though, even if exhaust is smexy). FYI he's late 40s, rich and balding.

Previous owner actually spent money to chrome OEM wheels... smh...

edit: R8 may be a different year... hmmm, not sure.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
535i, 550i, s6, s4, s5, passat vr6, cc vr6, chevy ss, perhaps mercury marauder (mercury crown vic)

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
535i, 550i, s6, s4, s5, passat vr6, cc vr6, chevy ss, perhaps mercury marauder (mercury crown vic)

BMWs are out (he doesn't know why he doesn't like 'em, just knows he doesn't like 'em). Mercedes are ok, but no AMG (too sporty). No VWs (low rent in his opinion), the domestics are out (unless critically acclaimed); audis are out except for S or RS models, but he already has the R8... what do E350s or E5__s go for 2010-13 vintage? they should be comfy...

Edit: he's not a car guy per se. he likes having nice things.

I collect low rent automatic diver watches (Seiko SKXs, Orient Rays) and have a few pieces around the 1-2k mark. I also collect pocket knives, the high value kind (think Kershaws mainly) and own no knife over $100. If my boss was into those things (he's not) he'd wear Pateks, precious metal subs, and edc a ... Sabenza for instance. See what I mean?

Last edited:

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Gently used s-class?

exactly, so, wait, S550(?) is the Mrs.' daily driver. His daughter drives the C250... Boy will get the CTS-V in 2 yrs... (I think thats a bad idea but what do I know)...

Edit: come to think of it, he bought the R8 and the CTS V used... (both 2 yrs after mfr). So he doesn't believe in giving it away. When he shopped around for wheel for the R8, he picked HREs on my recommendation (as value high end - oxymoron?).

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Panama is a great choice then. Wow what a garage this guy has lol

I more admire his taste in trophy arm candy. But u know what, I've never driven the Panamera S, so I don't know what the comfort mode feels like in that car. MK6 stock was too soft for me. Now I think that my KW V2s are too soft. We don't have the same goals in life. I am doing less well than he is obviously.

Edit: true story - a few months ago when I took the R8 to get it washed, sure boss, not a bother, I drove by the Staple center on Figueroa back to downtown LA, and 2 boys sitting in the bus stop point at me pointlessly revving the gorgeous v-10, "look n***a, thas Jeremy Lin!" For real. This happened, and I'm Asian but only 5'8" in heels.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Wow what a garage this guy has lol

When he sold the 911 last year to get the R8 I nearly cried b/c I didn't know what his plans were. This year he told me in advance what he is doing so I don't miss work over it.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
BMWs are out (he doesn't know why he doesn't like 'em, just knows he doesn't like 'em). Mercedes are ok, but no AMG (too sporty). No VWs (low rent in his opinion), the domestics are out (unless critically acclaimed); audis are out except for S or RS models, but he already has the R8... what do E350s or E5__s go for 2010-13 vintage? they should be comfy...

I collect low rent automatic diver watches (Seiko SKXs, Orient Rays) and have a few pieces around the 1-2k mark. I also collect pocket knives, the high value kind (think Kershaws mainly) and own no knife over $100. If my boss was into those things (he's not) he'd wear Pateks, precious metal subs, and edc a ... Sabenza for instance. See what I mean?

so a brand new mercedes for a beater? :laugh: might as well have a buggati as a weekend car. even if I'm that rich id own a base passat n call it a day, get dents i like and not give a fuck.

exactly, so, wait, S550(?) is the Mrs.' daily driver. His daughter drives the C250... Boy will get the CTS-V in 2 yrs... (I think thats a bad idea but what do I know)...

Edit: come to think of it, he bought the R8 and the CTS V used... (both 2 yrs after mfr). So he doesn't believe in giving it away. When he shopped around for wheel for the R8, he picked HREs on my recommendation (as value high end - oxymoron?).

I feel like those cars are gonna get totaled for sure, i can't even imagine if they're armenian, if they are, they boy would lost the v before he'd even fill for gas the first time :laugh:

When he sold the 911 last year to get the R8 I nearly cried b/c I didn't know what his plans were. This year he told me in advance what he is doing so I don't miss work over it.

wow, i would've kept the 911 or just grab a gt3rs.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
so a brand new mercedes for a beater? :laugh: might as well have a buggati as a weekend car. even if I'm that rich id own a base passat n call it a day, get dents i like and not give a fuck.

I feel like those cars are gonna get totaled for sure, i can't even imagine if they're armenian, if they are, they boy would lost the v before he'd even fill for gas the first time :laugh:

wow, i would've kept the 911 or just grab a gt3rs.
I just ran the e class idea. He said something that cracked me up. "50-60k is a lot of money to spend and get somethomg that I dont love..."

WAP

Go Kart Champion

I didn't understand any of this knife/watch analogy, but what about a Jag? XF's start at around $47k and XJ's at around $74k. Pretty much can't be beat for Euro cachet and luxury.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I didn't understand any of this knife/watch analogy, but what about a Jag? XF's start at around $47k and XJ's at around $74k. Pretty much can't be beat for Euro cachet and luxury.

Yep. Dude had a Porsche, did the Audi thing, and no to BMWs. Jaguars are excellent driving cars with plenty of sport in them, but far more comfortable than something like the R8 to daily.

XKR gets my vote.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
My choice would be a used Aston Martin Vantage for a car that looks fast, but isn't too harsh. Gorgeous car.

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Tesla. Maserati.