GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installed DG Springs with Bilstein Touring (B4)

Iclancy82

**No photos because apparently my files are too large. You’re not missing much as ride height is maybe 5-8mm lower than stock. Almost imperceptible.

I recently installed VW DG springs with Bilstein Touring dampers. Bilstein markets these as OEM replacement with 10% firmer valving than stock. The DG springs are for a 4-door DSG; my car is a 2-door DSG. Part numbers Front:5K3071677BVA, Rear: 5K4071677HA. These apparently ride the highest of all the DG’s and have the highest spring rates. Despite this I bought them because it’s all that was available. I had everything installed including all new hardware, stretch bolts, axle bolts etc. OEM strut mounts, bearings, bump stops, sway bar links... everything. I have 17” wheels that weigh 18 lbs each on brand new General G-Max RS summer tires. I love the 18” Detroits but not at 29 lbs each! These tires are extremely comfortable and grippy.

Initial impressions after 1 week: Not good! First the good: Handling is vastly improved. Quicker turn-in due to slightly increased negative camber. Less roll, much better high speed stability, vastly improved rebound dampening. The bad: Impact harshness and bump stiffness is very poor. My shocks were shot at 108K miles and impact harshness is much worse right now. I was under the impression Bilstein Tourings were SOFT compared to the B6 and B8. I’ve owned both (on a MINI no less) and the B8’s didn’t crash over bumps like the B4’s do. As mentioned before, the rebound damping is perfect. No bouncing or oscillating over bumps. But sharp impacts like potholes or manhole covers are unbearable. I’ve looked and yes my bump stops are in place.

I need some expertise. What’s causing the harsh impacts? My gut says it’s the struts, not the springs because I’d have a bouncy ride if it were the springs. I had new front sway bar links installed as well. Could improperly torqued suspension hardware cause a stiff ride? My car handles great, tracks straight and has no noticeable noises. I’m upset because I purposely sourced the “softest” aftermarket set-up there is. I wanted OEM ride with improved handling. Instead I got what feels like a NISSAN GT-R Nismo driving over potholes! I’ve dropped around $1,000 on parts and labor, got practically zero drop in ride height and terrible bump absorption. Only improvement is handling. If that’s all I cared about then I would’ve bought full coilovers.

Thoughts? Is it the shocks? The springs? Torque specs? All 3?

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Appreciate the detailed story on your situation, I hope this will help other members considering your setup. I have a few bits of information that may help you, based on experience with my previous CC.

When I was in the market for OE replacement shocks for my CC, there are two models listed - one for "standard" suspension and one for "sport" suspension. The CC received the same shocks in all years and models, so there was no differentiation at the vehicle level. I purchased the "sport" shocks for the rear of my car first, because those were worn out. The car rode AWFUL with these, the same as you're describing. The car would bounce on almost no road imperfections which I found very strange. Needless to say, I swapped them out for the "standard" B4 shocks and the car rode like stock again.

I'm sure the DG springs are contributing to your ride quality, or lack thereof....but the shocks are just exacerbating the issue based on my experience! Not sure if the same level Koni's would be a better choice with lowering springs, but in the future I will surely stay away from the B4 "sport" shocks.

Danz5k1

Ready to race!
B4 is best mated with OEM spring, in my opinion.

B6 too.

B8 is the on you want for lowering spring.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Any update on this? I am thinking of installing this with the H&R OE Sport springs (0.75" drop on early mk5, 0.2" drop thereafter)

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I’d like to know what bumpstops you’re running at the front and back. If you’re using the stock length stops on lowering springs compression is going to be really harsh while rebound should still feel fine.

I’d expect these dampers to be a little “weak” on bump compared to others, but not so much that it constantly bottoms out harshly and causes a terrible ride.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Wonder if it has something to do with his wheels and tires if he has aftermarket wheels causing them to smash into the fenders

zrickety

The Fixer
It's the shocks...also were the bolts tightened on the ground or in the air? They need to have a load when torqued down.
Ironically, I was running 2 door manual DG springs on the 4 door DSG. Koni yellows, I was happy with the setup.

myfastgti2011

I ran the B6 with DG springs and was experiencing the same harsh impacts. I think its the Bilsteins with how they set up valving. It's REALLY harsh on big bumps.

My reasoning is that I noticed harsher impacts on OEM springs when I first ran the B6s - switching to DG springs only made the harshness worse.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
gotta be the bumpstops - my Mini used to ride on the bumpstops when the car was on the ground.

EEforLife

I recently installed B4s on my MK6 GTI. Kept the original springs on the front, replaced the rear as one was broken. Mine feels really similar to what’s described above. Small bumps seem to bounce more than I’d expect and large bumps are downright unpleasant. When I bought the car I fell in love with how well it handled large bumps, felt very refined. Not so much now.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
I recently installed B4s on my MK6 GTI. Kept the original springs on the front, replaced the rear as one was broken. Mine feels really similar to what’s described above. Small bumps seem to bounce more than I’d expect and large bumps are downright unpleasant. When I bought the car I fell in love with how well it handled large bumps, felt very refined. Not so much now.
Also run B4s on my front and rears with original springs but I might switch out to VMRs since it doesn't feel like a solid setup. Lots of feedback over small bumps, sometimes feels like it bottoms out. Not really "OEM feel" like they advertise.

EEforLife

After some months with B4s, I’m thinking that a big contributor to the rough ride over smaller bumps is the bushings. I do have 156k miles, so they’re probably due anyways. The ride has definitely softened up a bit for me, but the “crashing” is still present.

I ordered the B4s from FCP euro, Part KIT-52355, which includes BIL- 22140012 and BIL-19183749.

I installed the rears first, along with springs, and that dramatically improved the ride over the worn-out stock suspension. When I did the fronts, I was pretty disappointed, as the ride wasn’t very composed anymore. An alignment helped a little, but it still feels like something isn’t right. I wonder if I should’ve done the front springs too. Anyways, my current plan is to do a bushing refresh, where I’ll probably replace the front control arms to start.