GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Filters: Oiled Vs. Dry - Which is better

allset

Go Kart Champion
So whats everyone opinion on each?

Benefits, drawbacks, experiences, good brands, crap ones etc.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Best filters are stock OEM paper filters, they capture the most dirt.

Oiled filters and foam filters increase flow but sacrifice filtering efficiencies.

allset

Go Kart Champion
Best filters are stock OEM paper filter, they get the most dirt.

Oiled filters and foam filters increase flow but sacrifice filtering efficiencies.

i agree the stock filters are best, but the piping restrictions they always have deads keeping them for me.

I should have specified aftermarket filters.

i never liked oiled.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I think all main aftermarket filters are oiled... K&N types.

McQueen77

Banned
aFe has a pro dry intake system that fits the 2.0T engine but I have heard that it has poor fitment. there is some mk6 GTI acceleration video on youtube that a guy with the aFe intake posted and its sounds pretty rice like a lot of the filter on a stick intakes do, in my opinion ofcourse..

i use the aFe pro dry S drop in filter and have come to love it but i know thats not what you're asking

allset

Go Kart Champion
I think all main aftermarket filters are oiled... K&N types.

aFe has a pro dry intake system that fits the 2.0T engine but I have heard that it has poor fitment. there is some mk6 GTI acceleration video on youtube that a guy with the aFe intake posted and its sounds pretty rice like a lot of the filter on a stick intakes do, in my opinion ofcourse..

i use the aFe pro dry S drop in filter and have come to love it but i know thats not what you're asking

I just got an Injen dry filter. its a bit smaller than the carbo but the flange size is the same so it should fit. gonna log flow on the 2.

what about water/rain using dry filters. oiled has the benefit of repelling water.

allset

Go Kart Champion

allset

Go Kart Champion
someine suggested using a filter sock over a dry cone filter for water intrusion.

anyone know if they work, where to get one?

allset

Go Kart Champion

joshparzi

Passed Driver's Ed
I run a custom AFE Pro Dry S filter cone on my carbonio intake. Car does feel a little less powerful in the low end, but I have seen MAFs have problems due to oiled filter elements so I try to play it safe

Veracity

Ready to race!
So whats everyone opinion on each?

Benefits, drawbacks, experiences, good brands, crap ones etc.

A properly oiled filter will clean nearly as well as a stock filter. The engine won't notice the small difference. The reason OEs don't use them is mainly cost and if they're not maintained filtering efficiency will drop quickly.

A dry filter will not flow as well as an oiled filter. Since their is no oil film to catch dirt the filter material needs to be denser and therefore more restrictive to air flow.

The main benefit of a dry is its easier to clean than an oiled filter.

I would go with oiled if you can stay on top of the cleanings. If not, stay with stock.

allset

Go Kart Champion

allset

Go Kart Champion
A properly oiled filter will clean nearly as well as a stock filter. The engine won't notice the small difference. The reason OEs don't use them is mainly cost and if they're not maintained filtering efficiency will drop quickly.

A dry filter will not flow as well as an oiled filter. Since their is no oil film to catch dirt the filter material needs to be denser and therefore more restrictive to air flow.

The main benefit of a dry is its easier to clean than an oiled filter.

I would go with oiled if you can stay on top of the cleanings. If not, stay with stock.

been running carbonio from the start. This is more of an experiment.

the Injen filter (link above) is supposedly new nanofiber material. Pehaps like HEPA material but not on the .1 micron level, most likely larger