GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake Installation Retardation

MattMk61

Passed Driver's Ed
so i'm trying to install my intake, followed the directions exactly as it says and then I came across a random rubber/bolt thing that is keeping me from removing the stock intake. It's to the bottom right of the battery and far right on the intake box. How do i get the stock box out?! My car is a 2013 gti and i'm not sure if that matters, but i can't figure out how to get the stock box out.

<P>There are microscopic arrows trying to point at where the bolt is..

<P> this is the rubber bolt thing i have no idea how to take out. i tried pliers to see if it was maybe a cover over a bolt or something, but no luck.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
no, that is not the bolt. that is your battery tray bolt.

LBCGTI1

Ready to race!
it's not a bolt it's a rubber grommet it should pop out if you just pull straight up

MattMk61

Passed Driver's Ed
ok thanks guys. I didn't want to force it and risk damaging/breaking something. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Hart

Ready to race!
ok thanks guys. I didn't want to force it and risk damaging/breaking something. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

That's what I was afraid of doing. Just pull straight up and add force. You won't break it.

MattMk61

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so i installed it and aside from a few things that I had to alter, it's in. However, the CEL is now on....FML

I thought that maybe i put the MAF on backwards so i reversed it and started the car to see if that was it and my car wouldn't start. :super pissed off: I would start it and it would turn over but then would instantly die. I then gave it a tiny bit of gas (about 2k rpm) and it stayed on! But it started to rev on its own and sounded really really bad. I then said forget it, i'd much rather have my car stay on, run fine and not have to worry about anything aside from the fact that there's a CEL. From what I saw on the APR instructions, the slightest bit of damage to the MAF sensor could cause a CEL even though i took care of it and didn't damage it at all.

Swapped it back around and it's fine now but i'm just hoping i'm in the clear..

ALSO, i noticed on the instructions that my car falls under the one with the random hose that was attached to the stock air box that i'm supposed to put a filter on it and zip tie it down to something. However, i purchased my intake on ebay and didn't know that I was supposed to look out for that so the hose is currently just tied down to a nearby hose with electrical tape. I purchased a K&N small filter to throw on it but it's too big so i'm waiting for a buddy to come over to help my manufacture one of our own.

Should I be worried? I figured I could maybe find someone on here in my area with a vag-com that could get rid of the CEL?

MattMk61

Passed Driver's Ed
new update,

DRLs are not on for some reason now. I wanted to get them turned off anyway, but this was unintentional. I dont get how they would just not be working all of the sudden..

All i've done was unplug the battery twice. once yesterday when i was going to try and do some work on my Fog Lights but ended up opening the latch in front of the tire not touching anything and once today when the CEL came on and I thought that maybe that would do something. no luck. =/

This is frustrating.

MattMk61

Passed Driver's Ed
update: the DRLs actually do work. I didn't know that the DRLs turned off when the e-brake is on.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
no, that is not the bolt. that is your battery tray bolt.

I wouldn't listen to this guy, he can't even install a Carbonio correctly, kept buying and selling them because he thought something was wrong. Turns out it was him and his lack of ability.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
i dnt wanna sound like a ass or anything but if ur not confident with the install, its not worth the risk of messing anything else up. just bring it to a shop and pay to have it done right. even a buddy that has done it before can help. check out the regional forums on here for someone close by.

MattMk61

Passed Driver's Ed
i dnt wanna sound like a ass or anything but if ur not confident with the install, its not worth the risk of messing anything else up. just bring it to a shop and pay to have it done right. even a buddy that has done it before can help. check out the regional forums on here for someone close by.

Thanks for the input. The car still runs like it did before the install but sounds like it has a BOV or something..weird. Anyway, I'm gonna wait until I go to a local canyon run out with some people on here and ask them if everything looks right. I honestly have no idea how installing an intake could go wrong..did it on my old e36 and had no CEL.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
did your CEL go away after driving? when i installed my intake the CEL light came on and within a minute or two from driving it turned off.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Thanks for the input. The car still runs like it did before the install but sounds like it has a BOV or something..weird. Anyway, I'm gonna wait until I go to a local canyon run out with some people on here and ask them if everything looks right. I honestly have no idea how installing an intake could go wrong..did it on my old e36 and had no CEL.

An intake makes lots of blow off noises and whooshing sounds. That's all it does really! Totally normal.