GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interior lights not coming on

Giblet46

Hi all, not sure if this has come up before (I've looked, but the search function for the forum on Tapatalk is not great!), but my interior lights do not come on with the key or when you open the doors.
All the interior lights do work when you switch them on directly with their individual switches, or turn the main switch on. I understand the lights should come on if you leave the rocker switch in the middle (flat) position (as opposed to on or off!!). The doors are correctly identified as being open/ shut on the MFD.

Incidentally I don't have the front lights in the manual (that show a round dial), and looking online it seems a pretty rare centre console (see image). In the back I have the standard three bulb set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Johnny Two Tone

Ready to race!
The first thing to check is the fuse that's protecting that circuit. There's a small panel on the left side of the dash (open the driver's door and to the left of the steering wheel, on the side of the dash, is a wedge shaped panel you can pull off). I don't know off hand which fuse is which, but you can simply check each one to see if one is blown.

I have a Ford E-250 service van that had the interior lights stop working when you opened the doors, but some would come on when you used the manual switch. It turned out I shorted a wire out, popping the fuse, when I was screwing in some bracketing. So, the fuses are a good place to start.

Giblet46

Thanks for the reply, lights seem to work on the normal switch, googled issue and someone suggested the switch can burn out, had a look and hey presto!
Had a bit of a clean round the area (including removing a bit of the actual circuit board at the corner that had burnt out, seemed to be stopping the switch closing) and got it just about working. Also read that the 5 bulbs running off it is too much load, so ordered some LEDs which should reduce the load somewhat.

Last edited:

wozzag123

Thanks for the reply, lights seem to work on the normal switch, googled issue and someone suggested the switch can burn out, had a look and hey presto!
Had a bit of a clean round the area (including removing a bit of the actual circuit board at the corner that had burnt out, seemed to be stopping the switch closing) and got it just about working. Also read that the 5 bulbs running off it is too much load, so ordered some LEDs which should reduce the load somewhat.

hey mine has done the exact same thing thanks for sharing so i knew what to look for, im hoping it’s just a bad solder joint and il get some led lights fitted

Attachments

• 41D825FE-5D17-4562-8174-DFB4D9C2F4DE.jpeg
    41D825FE-5D17-4562-8174-DFB4D9C2F4DE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 306

Heyitsme81

I
Hi all, not sure if this has come up before (I've looked, but the search function for the forum on Tapatalk is not great!), but my interior lights do not come on with the key or when you open the doors.
All the interior lights do work when you switch them on directly with their individual switches, or turn the main switch on. I understand the lights should come on if you leave the rocker switch in the middle (flat) position (as opposed to on or off!!). The doors are correctly identified as being open/ shut on the MFD.

Incidentally I don't have the front lights in the manual (that show a round dial), and looking online it seems a pretty rare centre console (see image). In the back I have the standard three bulb set up

Ive got the exact same problem, same situation etc. Any idea where i would order a fuse if it is that?