GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is changing tensioner worth it 2014 GTI?

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
GTI > Honda Civics

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Yaaaa let me tell you Audi/VW engines are sensitive and needy indeed!!!!!! high maintenance girlfriend ;)

bustin

I gotcha. You thought it was a downgrade until you drove it. Now don't treat it like a Honda, it's probably more sensitive and needy, but worth it.

Yaaaa let me tell you Audi/VW engines are sensitive and needy indeed!!!!!! high maintenance girlfriend ;)
To be fair, the 8th gen si needed to get repainted because of the sun damage problem. Its like 3k for a basic paint job on that thing

the_horak

Ready to race!
Hey Im new to the forum. Ive been looking at GTIs and most likely getting one tomorrow. My major concern was the timing chain tensioner and I know that in late 2012 the mk6 got the update. My question is if they need to be replaced still? I was looking at a 2014 with 120k miles and i wanted to know if i would need to get that fixed or if its good to go
Check this video. It shows how to look at and verify the old or new tensioner. It's a relatively easy DIY If it hasn't been done, please put it on your ASAP to-do list.

Chain stretch isn't necessarily the same thing. Tensioners are like idle pulleys. They're installed to maintain constant and relatively consistent tension on the timing chain to prevent slipping. The old-style tensioners would fall apart during use, so they updated it to a whole new construction. Chain stretch is more of a 'wear and tear' thing. All chains stretch, but it usually stays within tolerance (the tensioner helps with that too).

EDIT: I'm not saying that you shouldn't look into chain stretch, as it never hurts. I just wanted to make sure you knew that these were two different, though seemingly related, things. I almost typed the word 'issues' but it makes it seem like a defect. Chain stretch is something that can happen to ANY vehicle with a timing chain.

Last edited: