GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is there a legit way to replace the plastic covers on my xenon headlights?

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
My 9 year old xenons are great, except that they have disgusting amounts of build up and crazing (micro fissures) that likely can't be shaved down or polished off. Wondering if there's a viable way to replace the plastic entirely. I'd rather not spend $$$$$ on a whole new set just for aesthetics since we're talking close to $1k still. Has anyone pulled this off... or is there a company you can ship them out to, or hell if you're in south florida and know of a shop that does this sort of thing?

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Haven’t used them personally, but OneEighty does tremendous work for both custom/retrofit and restoration.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
No, need to replace them. I tried everything to refinish mine and they were in same condition you have described. I ended up paying 800 for a set of new ones.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Not sure how accurate that is. They sell the lenses, and there's clearly retrofits around.

Well the Xenon units are glued together and really not meant for lens replacement. Yes, after market lens are available. I read the posts about the process and concluded that the poor success rate and difficulty kept it from being a viable option. Have at it if you want but even if you are lucky enough to get them apart without damage (heat gun and pry) many folk are unable to get them seal back up like factory and have vapor issues. I feel your pain though, 800 is a lot of money to replace but they sure look good after you put them in. I did windshield and all new grills as well when I did mine, car looked like new.

Last edited:

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I'm wondering this myself. My left headlight is newer than the right one (tree branch fell on my car) so the right one has become hazy. Tried to refinish it, only made it worse. OEM assemblies are expensive as hell.

Gr8N0rthW0lf

Go Kart Champion
you can always try the DIY method. There's a few good youtube videos out there on how to do it, I think Chris Fix has a great video posted. Use coarse grit and work down to a very fine grit with wet sanding by the end of the process. And then use a plastic adhering clear coat finish to protect. Haven't seen personally the condition of your lenses, but i've seen some pretty brutal headlights restored this way

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
you can always try the DIY method. There's a few good youtube videos out there on how to do it, I think Chris Fix has a great video posted. Use coarse grit and work down to a very fine grit with wet sanding by the end of the process. And then use a plastic adhering clear coat finish to protect. Haven't seen personally the condition of your lenses, but i've seen some pretty brutal headlights restored this way

I used this method on my mk5 headlights. Did it by hand. Started around 400 grit and went up to 1500 wet sanding In the kitchen sink. Sprayed clear coat. Wet sanded. Clear coat again. Rubbing compound. Polishing compound. Came out brand new. It’ll yellow eventually if you don’t use UV protected clear coat.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion

I did this recently:
https://www.golfmk6.com/forums/index.php?threads/headlight-restoration-progress.375272/

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Damn dude, good job. I don't think I can get that far down to get past all the little microfissures. I had my headlights 'professionally' resurfaced like 3 years ago with a groupon. probably a dumb move but oh well. with these results, maybe I could just resurface them though. what clear did you use?

That is exactly what I went through, I could polish the surface but deep in the plastic were tons of fissures. Lens looked pretty clear as long as they were off and/or the sun wasn't shining on them (that is when the fissures showed up). Reason why I chose to replace mine.

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
That's the deal with mine, too. They look decent but they're far from perfect, and those micro cracks in the plastic are still visible if the sun shines on them just right. It's the best I could hope for without spending tons of money for replacements (bi-xenon, too), so it's gonna have to be good enough.

This is the clear coat I used.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
That is exactly what I went through, I could polish the surface but deep in the plastic were tons of fissures. Lens looked pretty clear as long as they were off and/or the sun wasn't shining on them (that is when the fissures showed up). Reason why I chose to replace mine.
I hear you dude, but replacing headlights on a near 10 year old car that cost $900+ on average new isn't feasible with two kids and other shit going on unfortunately. Fixing these up is the best I got. The plan is to net a better job or get a raise in the next year or two, ditch this car and buy something NOT Vag so as to avoid headaches like this in the future.