GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

It's Decided. 2.5 Turbo. Winter 2019

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
If venting to atmosphere, I would take a catch can with an filter breather on top and 2 inlets. So both the PCV hose and breather hose vent to the catch can

As for your setup option of putting a filter on the breather filter and the PCV hose to the catch can, your will need a filter on the catch can too, so I would put the breather and PCV pose to the catch can since the catch can is already at atmospheric pressure

If your want to recirculate, your way by routing it to the pre-turbo side is good

But post turbo, a check valve is mostly a one way valve that allow the flow in one direction (isolate vacuum from boost), by using a check valve the boost won't go in the PCV valve, but only the vacuum and under vacuum the PCV is either fully close or partially open. You would need a check valve that open with just a little vacuum so you would be close to the atmospheric pressure

Honestly, I would just route pre-turbo if I wanted to recirculate and if I want to vent to atmosphere, both the breather and PCV hose to the catch can
Perfect I think I'll run a set up like yours. I just need to modify my cat can now..., thanks again!
I really thought this was a simple task I didnt realize how much there was to it. You've saved my engine for the 100th time haha

VWLife

Hey OrangeSpy, I hope you're taking good notes as you go!
If the price isn't too silly, I'm hoping I can do the same with my 2013. :)

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Hey OrangeSpy, I hope you're taking good notes as you go!
If the price isn't too silly, I'm hoping I can do the same with my 2013. :)
I'm going to make a post on this site when it's all done! lots and lots of pictures. I also plan on making a tutorial video. As of right now I'm under $5000 USD. which seems big but from what I was told when I started this I wouldn't be able to do it under 10,000

MLue1

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to make a post on this site when it's all done! lots and lots of pictures. I also plan on making a tutorial video. As of right now I'm under $5000 USD. which seems big but from what I was told when I started this I wouldn't be able to do it under 10,000
If that's $5000 CAD, thats simple awesome!

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Fuel pump question for yas.
I was told to relay the inline pump off of the fuse. I got a piggy back fuse and rigged up a relay but got to thinking... Its a returnless system, so the aftermarket pump needs to turn on and off on demand (hence relaying it off the stock pump) but I dont think that happens at the fuse... I tried finding a fuel pump relay but was only finding it for MK5s. Anyone have ideas?

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Fuel pump question for yas.
I was told to relay the inline pump off of the fuse. I got a piggy back fuse and rigged up a relay but got to thinking... Its a returnless system, so the aftermarket pump needs to turn on and off on demand (hence relaying it off the stock pump) but I dont think that happens at the fuse... I tried finding a fuel pump relay but was only finding it for MK5s. Anyone have ideas?
Honestly I'm unsure our fuel pump use duty cycle. I noticed 2.0T have a fuel pump regulator module that sit right over the fuel pump. On our 2.5, we don't have have this module. I looked at the wiring diagram and power goes directly from the relay to the pump. I don't think the ecu would pulse the relay, otherwise they would have done that with the GTI too

The fuse is before the relay, I also had to put a bigger fuse, the new pump used more amperage and burned the fuse on the road, I always have fuses with me, so it wasn't too bad, but it took a while to figure out why the car stalled

Also the duty cycle is for the pump longevity not for the fuel pressure regulation, the filter is the fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure if you mixed it up since you mentioned the return-less fuel system

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
Honestly I'm unsure our fuel pump use duty cycle. I noticed 2.0T have a fuel pump regulator module that sit right over the fuel pump. On our 2.5, we don't have have this module. I looked at the wiring diagram and power goes directly from the relay to the pump. I don't think the ecu would pulse the relay, otherwise they would have done that with the GTI too

The fuse is before the relay, I also had to put a bigger fuse, the new pump used more amperage and burned the fuse on the road, I always have fuses with me, so it wasn't too bad, but it took a while to figure out why the car stalled

Also the duty cycle is for the pump longevity not for the fuel pressure regulation, the filter is the fuel pressure regulator. I'm not sure if you mixed it up since you mentioned the return-less fuel system
Ohh okay, I think I miss understood how the returnless system worked. I thought the ECU controlled the speed of the pump to deliver more or less fuel when needed.
What would you suggest when wiring an inline pump. Control the relay switch from the fuse panel or directly off the wiring for the stock pump?
Right now I have the relay switch piggybacked onto the fuel fuse but am leaning toward splicing the fuel pump wiring instead.

Attachments

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
Ohh okay, I think I miss understood how the returnless system worked. I thought the ECU controlled the speed of the pump to deliver more or less fuel when needed.
What would you suggest when wiring an inline pump. Control the relay switch from the fuse panel or directly off the wiring for the stock pump?
Right now I have the relay switch piggybacked onto the fuel fuse but am leaning toward splicing the fuel pump wiring instead.
On the return-less system, the fuel pump flow fuel through the filter and the filter have a restriction that build up fuel pressure. Excessive pressure return to the fuel tank and the pressurized fuel goes to the fuel rail

On performance oriented engine such as the GTI, they have a module that pulse the pump on and off depending of the needs to make the pump last longer

For the wiring, I wouldn't splice the fuel pump harness, I'm unsure if it would support the amperage for 2 pumps. From what I understand you have a second relay but exclusively for your inline pump ? If that's the case, I would use your piggyback to trigger the inline pump relay and run a new wiring from fuse panel to the inline pump. That would isolate both pump circuit

Then for the pump setup, the in-tank pump should flow to the inline pump and the inline pump to the filter

OrangeSpy

Ready to race!
On the return-less system, the fuel pump flow fuel through the filter and the filter have a restriction that build up fuel pressure. Excessive pressure return to the fuel tank and the pressurized fuel goes to the fuel rail

On performance oriented engine such as the GTI, they have a module that pulse the pump on and off depending of the needs to make the pump last longer

For the wiring, I wouldn't splice the fuel pump harness, I'm unsure if it would support the amperage for 2 pumps. From what I understand you have a second relay but exclusively for your inline pump ? If that's the case, I would use your piggyback to trigger the inline pump relay and run a new wiring from fuse panel to the inline pump. That would isolate both pump circuit

Then for the pump setup, the in-tank pump should flow to the inline pump and the inline pump to the filter
Alright great! I already have that set up and wasnt looking forward to undoing it all.

It wouldnt need to support 2 pumps amperage however if I did it the other way. It would only turn the relay on. The main power supply is coming straight from the battery.